Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
RV Stoves

Well I now have my 'new to me rig,' (1997 5er) and am so puzzled by the 'oven'.

I can't see how anyone could cook anything in there as there is a screwed in shelf half way up with a grate on it...how can you cook in something you cannot adjust ..

I am wondering if anyone has removed this and added a cooktop with a convection / mic on the bottom?
Now I have been reading the supplied info sheet on this Wedgwood stove and it talks about removing the cooktop from the oven, I haven't had a good look yet but if this is the case, can I reset the cooktop into a dropped shelf and remove the oven part? I would never use the oven the way it is set up, but if the cooktop can be made independent(???) I can put the convection oven in the bottom... anyone know about this item and if this is possible?

Wedgewood by Atwood if I have to remove it and start over is there a cooktop (LP) anyone would recommend?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

Well, I cut the oven off of my range and remounted the cook top above a fisher-paykel dishdrawer dishwasher. then replace the microwave with a convection/micro unit. My 5th was cooperative with the stove being next to the sink.....let me look for them pictures.....
Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Here ya go, much more use than that gas oven....too hot to use %80 of the year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-15 19.18.22.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	50881  
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our coach didn't even come with an oven. It has a microwave/convection oven.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosters 67 View Post
Well, I cut the oven off of my range and remounted the cook top above a fisher-paykel dishdrawer dishwasher. then replace the microwave with a convection/micro unit. My 5th was cooperative with the stove being next to the sink.....let me look for them pictures.....
Spence
Well this is just what I need, (pic)!!
In the instructions it says you can replace the cook top I am going to take a good look and see if this is possible, if so does that mean the top and bottom have seperate LP connections?

If I took out the bottom is it hard to close off the gas to the oven? do I need someone to do this?

I am glad to see someone else can't see the use of this oven....and had the bravery to change it!!

Thanks Arch for you help and 'I did it' post, gives me hope!!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Our coach didn't even come with an oven. It has a microwave/convection oven.
Lucky you! but surely you got a cook top?

I have cooked convection for years it is fast and healthier than microwave, with microwave the food is tasteless because the 'waves' kill all the nutrition in the food, but it sure is handy to warm up a cuppa!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Enokie,
I removed my oven and actually cut, with a saw, the oven off the bottom of the range assembly.
The oven was fed its propane from the manifold in the stove section. I had to make a block off plate that went between the manifold and oven control. Once all the propane system modifications were done, I applied 10psi air pressure whish is WAY more than the 11"of water coulumn that the propane system operates off. Then I performed a leak test with soapy water.

Now mind you I had to add a 120V outlet at the dishwasher, reroute the drain lines from the sink(it ran under the range) and add the drain tail piece for the dishwasher to the sink. Tap into the hot water supply, and of course widen the cabnet opening for the dishwasher.

I found a pair of these dishwashers on ebay for a very decent price, so if you shop around with patience you can do this mod for very cheap.
If you have a decent homeowners knowledge of basic handyman skills, to me I would see where this is a very doable modification.

All in all took me probably a total of six ACTUAL hours of work, nevermind the trips to bigbox hardware store. total from start to finish was about two days.

Feel free to ask any questions here or PM me if ya need any help or pointers outside of the forum.
Spence
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00281.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	50972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00279.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	50973  

Name:	DSC00285.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	50974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00287.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	50976  

Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
That is something I have been pondering for some time as well.....I don't think I need the dishwasher.....and given that the stove/oven is on a slide....I thought of putting a built in microwave/convection oven in......We also use a single burner induction unit which is spectacular.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I use my oven for storage, too hard to light the pilot light. I keep dish towels and misc in there. Gets old standing on my head for 5 minutes before it ignites, and then it bakes too hot. Like yours, my shelf is not adjustable. I use a toaster oven for what little baking I do.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
That is something I have been pondering for some time as well.....I don't think I need the dishwasher.....and given that the stove/oven is on a slide....I thought of putting a built in microwave/convection oven in......We also use a single burner induction unit which is spectacular.....
Like you have been giving serious thought to the induction hot plat, what brand do you have, I was looking at the NuWave but shipping is really high if it is not a good product. Microwave convection by Panasonic is all I would consider, might even get a small drawer underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
I use my oven for storage, too hard to light the pilot light. I keep dish towels and misc in there. Gets old standing on my head for 5 minutes before it ignites, and then it bakes too hot. Like yours, my shelf is not adjustable. I use a toaster oven for what little baking I do.
Good ideas here but I have less than much countertop and some of the small toaster ovens don't cook like the larger ones, that I have no space for.
however I could be wrong here as it has been more years than I can count since I had one.
thanks for the alternate uses in case I don't get to my project right away
Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought the same thing our shelf doesn't move either but we have used it for pizza, bacon/sausage, Pork chops, chicken brosted or just baked breasts' Pork/beef roast, Small ones but there are only the 2 of us.You could bake cookies but no breads
Now I'm hungry
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #12

Having gone through all the above discussions with DW. We decided to remove the gas cook top and install a induction burner. We have a Induction stove with convection oven in the S & B. Have been using a portable Induction in RV for several years. Along with the convection/microwave oven. Works good for us. Using the convection oven has worked very well instead of oven we had in a previous RV
Completed the installation a couple weeks ago. We are on our winter now and DW likes the installation. Not a cheap upgrade. But has given DW a lot more counter space. Here is a link to installation pictures.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
DW told me we don't have a stove.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Having gone through all the above discussions with DW. We decided to remove the gas cook top and install a induction burner. We have a Induction stove with convection oven in the S & B. Have been using a portable Induction in RV for several years. Along with the convection/microwave oven. Works good for us. Using the convection oven has worked very well instead of oven we had in a previous RV
Completed the installation a couple weeks ago. We are on our winter now and DW likes the installation. Not a cheap upgrade. But has given DW a lot more counter space. Here is a link to installation pictures.
Looks nice. Where did you buy that rack behind the stove top? or did you make it? That would work in our MH to put stuff in while underway.
Thanks
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote