Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

RV temp & volt monitoring - for pets & info - what system do you use

I want to put in a RV monitoring system (I like to tinker)

Some people want a system so that when their away from the RV they are alerted if the RV gets hot, they lose short power (then lose AC), etc

People do this to protect their pets well being

Other people want a WIFI or Cellular data tool to monitor their battery voltages, shore power voltage, tank levels, motion, door entry, etc.

There are systems that can gather this info and transmit it to WIFI or cellular via a portal. Some require monthly subscriptions. Some are entirely wireless.

On my last RV I used RVCommand by Viatrax https://rv-command.com/
I chose it because it uses cellular and I felt it was more likely to have a connection than WIFI. It has a temp input & two inputs for coach & chassis battery, as well as shore power and door. It has several spare inputs & has GPS tracking for theft. I believe it has the capability for an output as well if I remenber. There is a monthly subscription cost.

I see another system now RV Whisper https://rvwhisper.com/
I have no experience with it but it appears to communicate via WIFI
it can monitor temp and battery, but additionally the temp sensors can be put in refrig, in wet bay, rear of absorb. refrig. It appears to tie in other systems like Hughes Surge protector data, SeeLevel II monitor, propane tank sensor, etc. I interpret all wireless.

My question is:
1) what system do your use?
2) why did you pick that system?
3) do you recommend it?
4) please describe it & cost (is there a monthly subscription?)

You experience will be invaluable to save me from picking the wrong system

Thanks in advance
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

I use a wireless GSM based security system only. Bought online (most of them are built in China) uses any wireless network available, and so it requires a SIM card with US/Canada functionality. It sends an SMS event message to our phones, or if a fire were to happen the smoke detector would also send us a message. It uses PIR motion sensors and magnetic door/window contact sensors, and we can arm/disarm it from anywhere we/it has a cellular signal, which is usually just about anywhere.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

I use a visible phone as a hot spot for wifi, and use a Govee Temperature monitor that will send me an alert if the temperature is to high or low, or if the Humidity is. I just recently installed a Magnum ME-AGS-S stand alone AGS. It will start the generator if the temperature is to high or the house battery voltage drops to low.

The only thing that I have to pay for monthly is the hotspot, and it is only $25.00. I can take the hotspot with me when I am traveling away from home, or to my mountain house so that is a win as far as I am concerned.

When we use the MH I set the govee to notify me when it gets to 75 degrees inside, the AGS to start the generator at 78 degrees, and I set the rear AC to 74 degrees while the front is set at 70 degrees to help soften the initial power surge.

I am not anywhere near full time so this works well for me.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is the system we use to monitor our fur baby as well as temp.
https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Monit...%2C370&sr=8-16
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is a great idea.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Has anyone tried using Home Assistant, and customizing it for RV usage?
Old 04-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have a LaCrosse weather station that monitors both inside and outside temps via an app that is available on our smartphones when away.

We also replaced our Dometic 5 button Comfort Control Thermostat with a Hutch Mountain plug-n-play replacement that connects to via wi-fi and allows us to control Heat and AC from our smartphones as well.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #8

We use a Marcell Temp and power monitoring that uses cell network. Cost was about 130$ and 10$ a month, it alerts via text/email/app on user set temps. Be sure to have it on an inside and not outside wall to stop alerts. This is more for our dog

We also have Govee bluetooth temp sensors in the fridge/freezer/wet bay, these are for when we are near or in the coach. Cost was about 15$ each. These will alert me if a fridge/freezer craps out or door gets left open (fridge is 14 years old with crap seals).

Finally have a Govee/Wifi bluetooth temp sensors near the hvac control this was about 25$.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
Has anyone tried using Home Assistant, and customizing it for RV usage?
Found this article, in case anyone is interested... plus I know one of the guys behind the Self-Hosted podcast* lives full-time in an RV, and I'm pretty sure he uses HA as well.

* the podcast is probably only of interest to serious computer nerds.

Tags
monitor