Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #1

RV Tire inflator

I have one of those small cigarette lighter powered tire inflators that I use for my toad (a Jeep). That works well for a car but has a warning not to use it for more than 10 minutes continuously, so I don't think it is suitable for an RV even though it specifies an output of 150 psi. I was wondering what people use for inflating RV tires. The pressure specified for the Sprinter chassis is 62 psi, but the tires are large and that small tire inflator is probably just not going to work on the RV.

I don't want a large mechanic's tire inflator - first of all I have no room to store it in the RV and I would rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to. What tire inflators are you using? Other than Coach-Net.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I have one of those small cigarette lighter powered tire inflators that I use for my toad (a Jeep). That works well for a car but has a warning not to use it for more than 10 minutes continuously, so I don't think it is suitable for an RV even though it specifies an output of 150 psi. I was wondering what people use for inflating RV tires. The pressure specified for the Sprinter chassis is 62 psi, but the tires are large and that small tire inflator is probably just not going to work on the RV.

I don't want a large mechanic's tire inflator - first of all I have no room to store it in the RV and I would rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to. What tire inflators are you using? Other than Coach-Net.
you have a couple of options.
continue to use your existing one and let it cool down if it hits the time limit.
Buy a viair 12v compressor with a 100% duty cycle

or carry a small 120v compressor that you can plug into an inverter.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Here you go. This is a good compromise of power for the price. $89

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4283.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	370194
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The 150 psi rating has nothing to do with the time it takes to inflate a tire. That is totally dependent on the volume of air needed and a larger tire may take more time even if it's only going to 60 or 80 psi. Likewise, a mostly deflated tire will require more air and thus take longer. Conversely, a big tire at 100 psi that only needs to be pushed up to 102 might well get down in a few minutes.

Running for longer time periods will likely overheat both the compressor itself and the power wires that feeds it and either of those can kill it. So, use your compressor as needed but pay attention to the time limit and shut it off to cool if needed. It will likely take as long to cool as it did to heat up, so don't rush it. If waiting tries your patience too much, get a compressor that delivers more air volume per minute. The suggested Viair is a good choice at a reasonable price.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

that viair 88p is listed at a 25 minute duty cycle at 30 psi.
What that translates into for a flat tire that requires 80 + psi I have no idea.
read the reviews on that one, I don't think it's any better than the all in one jump packs with the compressor that can only run for 1o minutes.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Ditto on a viair 12v compressor that is powered directly from the battery.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
that viair 88p is listed at a 25 minute duty cycle at 30 psi.
What that translates into for a flat tire that requires 80 + psi I have no idea.
read the reviews on that one, I don't think it's any better than the all in one jump packs with the compressor that can only run for 1o minutes.

Seems like lots of good reviews to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9995.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	370216
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:30 PM   #8

Viair makes a very good product. I have the 300P and very satisfied with its performance.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Here you go. This is a good compromise of power for the price. $89

Attachment 370194
Thanks for the suggestion.

I took a look at this on Amazon and it has a 9 ft cable for connecting to the battery, and that does not seem like enough to me. The batteries in my Sprinter are under the entrance door and that would work for the passenger side tires, and probably the front driver's side, but I don't think it will reach for the driver's side rear tires. Still, I will check to see if that is long enough.

I have been trying to figure out if I am better off trying to use my current 12v DC tire inflator by buying a 120 volt input 12 volt output rectifier to allow me to use the inflator I have, or if it was better to buy a new inflator for the RV, but that would probably have to be AC powered as I worry about the DC voltage drop over any cable long enough to make it from the power outlet to the rear tires.

Some of the AC Viair air compressors seem like they are more than enough, but are pretty pricey.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #10

I run an onboard 100% duty cycle Viar. Not cheap, though I think it is well worth it. The one I bought mounts to the chasis and you plumb an air quick disconnect to it. Then all you have to handle is the air hose.

Pain to setup properly, but really easy to use once it is. IMHO, one of the best "tools" I've put on my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YC42RG
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #11

I have been using a Harbor Freight 150psi 12V air compressor that I bought in 2008. It does get quite hot and I've burned my fingers a few times, but it has never over-heated and quit running or blown the fuse.
I suggest just running yours as necessary to get the job done. Speaking from experience, do not buy and use a 12V extension cord. It greatly reduces amperage to the air compressor and it may result in burning up the motor.
To get to those LR dual tires, use your towed car.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have been using a Harbor Freight 150psi 12V air compressor that I bought in 2008. It does get quite hot and I've burned my fingers a few times, but it has never over-heated and quit running or blown the fuse.
I suggest just running yours as necessary to get the job done. Speaking from experience, do not buy and use a 12V extension cord. It greatly reduces amperage to the air compressor and it may result in burning up the motor.
To get to those LR dual tires, use your towed car.
I bought the 135 psi Fortress 1-gallon for the RV and truck use. It is very quiet and powerful enough to fill 110psi tires for sure. It worked so well around the house, though, that I ended up buying a Viair 450RV from an online RV accessories dealer while it was on sale to keep in the truck all the time. Used it to make sure it worked, but haven't had to use it much more than that yet.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Seems like lots of good reviews to me.

Attachment 370216
not to me but to each their own. I don't look at the reviews they shove at you, I click down to more reviews and than read the criticals, those are the only ones that matter.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You probably aren't filling a totally flat 110 psi tire, and if that need ever arises you could afford to spend a couple hours getting the job done with your rather wimpy inflator. So the real question is "How much air can it add in 10 minutes?". Will it add a couple psi to your Rv tires? If that's all you are likely to need, why worry? But if you find that you routinely need to add several psi to a large tire, then you have two problems to resolve. #1 is why is the tire losing air and #2 is how to keep it aired up until #1 is fixed. A bigger compressor may be in your future if that is the case.

The time factor is dictated by the air flow volume of the inflator, a spec called cfm (cubic feet/minute). Psi isn't important as long as you have enough, i.e. at least a few more psi than the tire needs to carry the load. If you only need 80 or 100 psi, then 150 psi isn't any better than 125. It's cheap to give a compressor a high psi rating, but costly to increase the cfm for rapid filling of large tires.

That Viaire 88P will deliver 0.75 cfm @ 80 psi and 0.54 cfm @ 100 psi. Not in the class with the big-boy 120v units but not too shabby either. What can your current inflator do?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire