Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #1

RV/Trailer Parks

Are all "RV" parks turning into rundown trailer parks or am I just a bad park picker?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems to be the case at most of the parks we’ve been to in the last year (30 or so).

Many are transient workers (construction, oil field, etc), quite a few are “S&B homeless”, and a growing number are remote workers.

Regardless of how they come to be there, many do seem to have a lot of stuff (much of it junk/an eyesore), multiple vehicles, and poorly maintained RVs.

I certainly acknowledge their right to be there, but am frustrated by park managements’ lack of effort to maintain a clean and safe park, often in direct contravention of their own rules.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not all, but permanent residents sure seem to be a trend.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

I will combine the comments of the posters, above.

There seems to be an increased need for permanent residences in RV parks, and some parks are accommodating that need. However, how each park adjusts to long term/permanent residents, varies. As stated, it's the responsibility of the management/owner of the park to maintain the "atmosphere." If they don't enforce the rules, things can degrade rapidly as some have indicated.

Bottom line, it's not the long term/residents that are necessarily the issue, it's the management of the parks.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems more and more permanate residents are moving into RV parks and they are becoming "trailer parks". We have seen this more and more over the past couple of years. They do not require the tenant to maintain a vehicle that can move the trailer or the motorhome is not even current on registration.

One park we have used in the winter in Houston area was sold to a corporation 3 years ago and the park has been on a steady decline. Residents pile junk under and around their trailers. People are not picking up their dog poop and tossing cigarette butts everywhere.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am staying in a trailer park in my motorhome till my retirement paperwork is done, S&B is sold. They REQUIRE RVs to be current on registration and shown on the tags. Mobile homes, not so, but strict guidelines on lawns and grounds.

It all depends on what the management wants. I'd think now with RV space at a premium, they'd be jacking the rates and tightening the rules, as they have plenty of demand. And that demand might be gone soon.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It would be nice if RV parks had a section reserved for long-termers only!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #8

Not all but many. We've encountered a lot of people that have been forced into RV's because rent is taking half or more their incomes.

They find cash rigs and move them to RV parks where long term rates are more reasonable than rent. As long as housing values continue their "ridiculous meteoric rise" that far outpaces wages it's only going to get worse.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Yes, and that in fact is the approach in some parks.

As an example, San Pedro RV Resort in Benson AZ, where we have wintered in the past, has such an arrangement, and it appeared to work very well.

I think in answer to the OP's question, both perspectives are true. There certainly is an increase in "temporary" long-term residents in RV parks, but it is also true that one can make choices to avoid these venues by advance planning/research and the questions you ask when contacting a park for reservations.

If you are looking for the cheapest option, bear in mind that is also exactly what those longer-term people with the dilapidated sites are doing .
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some parks do it better than others. The park I am in makes sure the "junk" is kept to a minimum and while they do not discriminate on age alone, the rolling meth labs are not let in. We are just outside a major city so there are few parks available here, and most are not as nice as this one.

We moved here from the other side of the state after selling our home because my job went away and we had to relocate. Unfortunately my new work is in an area where the median home price is well over $1 million unless you want to commute 45 minutes minimum and then the median is over $800,000. With just 5 years or so before I retire and not wanting to stay in this area after that it does not make sense to risk buying a home and having the market crash forcing us to stay. So this is the best option right now. We would not be very happy in some of the parks we have nearby but this one is awesome with a great staff and neighbors who watch out for each other.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #11

I have seen a wide range of this as well over the past year and a half that I've been full-timing. Honestly, the longer-term residents who are at places for work tend to keep things cleaner than the partiers and families who show up for weekends and short trips. I lived in a park in southern Ohio last year that had a lot of permanent residents who didn't have a TV or current registrations on their RVs and they tended to treat their lot as their home. The park I'm at now definitely has a "premium" section devoted to larger vehicles that tends to be better maintained than the rest of the park. The management is definitely key to keeping the parks looking nice, and this one does a great job.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #12

Sadly that has been happening. I don't like to see it, but fear it is here to stay.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

I totally agree. Long term people should have their own out of the way areas. Most, but not all seem to collect a lot of junk on their sites. I'm not talking about landscaping or decks, etc. but stuff piled up that should have been thrown away years ago.
There is no need for these 'campers' to be in the main campground area.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #14
PKI

The phenomenon was explained to me as follows: when the economy goes down, folks who run parks need cash flow. They take in long term tenants to make ends meet. Then when times improve, they do not move the long term folks out, because they represent steady business and generally are easy to accommodate.

With the new trend of RVers, the price of sites go up. That may stop the long term trend or it may set up the conditions for a new series of better parks.

We have seen a lot of long in the tooth parks. There are a lot of them in the Passport America system. But that system also has a lot of brand new parks that use the draw of half price to keep the park profitable until it builds a client base. Those also become long term parks when the site is not attractive to transit RVers.

So yes, it is happening. But it has always happened. Do not be afraid. Some of those folks are just as nice as you.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer