RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RV Travel & Service Logbook

What is everyone using to track their RV travels and RV service records?

We've been travelling in our RV for the past 6 1/2 years and I now have a collection of daily travel log entries in coil-bound steno pads and piles of disorganized parts and service receipts.

With more home-time, thanks to COVID travel restrictions, I decided to build my own logbook software so data entry would be faster and easier and my records would offer more analytical potential than sheets of paper.

So, my questions are:
1. What, if anything, do you use to track your RV travel and service records?

2. What are the things you like and dislike about your current records keeping system?

[Mod Edit]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

Add a column for parts one buys for mods......lol
Old 09-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion.

Recording parts and service work can be tedious and difficult with inconsistent data. My plan was to provide data entry fields for things you may want to look up later like a Parts Description and Cost but leave much of the detail to a simple picture of the receipt. A photo can be taken from a smartphone or tablet and saved directly into the data record.

this way you can search for say, an air filter or oil change, and see all the detail on each of the prior purchases of that part or service.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

I created a spreadsheet on my ipad. I have all the gas stops with mileage, gallons, mpg and cost on one tab then on another I just logged the date, mileage, maintenance item whenever I did something. It works for me, but if you're a real stickler for a log book, it might not be your cup of tea. As for receipts for purchases those go into a plastic container with all the documentation but no real order to them.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The data from this logbook project goes into a spreadsheet as well but it provides a few input advantages.
  • You can input the date quickly and consistently either by typing it in on a smartphone or tablet or you can simply talk to your device to enter it.
  • You can use an embedded link to get the current currency conversion rate if you are travelling out of the country.
  • Storing a picture of receipts provides a great deal of detail with virtually no typing of data.

I really like the idea of storing the data in a spreadsheet as it gives you free access to mine the data however you see fit. But, it does not provide ongoing charts and graphs of data like the input forms provide.

I'm glad to hear that you found something that works well for you. Possibly you'll have a look at this project when it's complete and since your data is already in a spreadsheet, it can be imported into this system.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #6

I too currently use a spreadsheet for RV trips. I have columns for daily start location, ending location, miles driven, name of where I'm staying, how many nights stayed, site #, comments about site and park in general and total cost for stay. I do make comments about service in the last column.

I record all my fill-ups in Fuelly, an app on my phone. Those logs can be exported to a spreadsheet if I want to.

I really like your "logbook" idea though. Especially about being able to embed photos. Nothing brings back a memory like a photo or 2.
DRKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKM View Post
I too currently use a spreadsheet for RV trips. I have columns for daily start location, ending location, miles driven, name of where I'm staying, how many nights stayed, site #, comments about site and park in general and total cost for stay. I do make comments about service in the last column.

I record all my fill-ups in Fuelly, an app on my phone. Those logs can be exported to a spreadsheet if I want to.

I really like your "logbook" idea though. Especially about being able to embed photos. Nothing brings back a memory like a photo or 2.
myLogbook records all those same things except your starting point for the day as it will have already been recorded in the previous day's entry. I've also included fields for the travel distance for a Vehicle 1 and 2 so you can record both a the towing vehicle and a towed vehicle. Folks towing a car asked for this so they know the true travel miles of their TOAD. If you travel across the US/Canada border you'll also like the fuel quantity and currency conversion capabilities.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
What is everyone using to track their RV travels and RV service records?...
RV Life has recently integrated Maintain My RV: https://maintainmyrv.com/

I'm just checking it out.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

I'm just checking it out.

Lori-
Maintain My RV looks like an interesting program but it is very different from the project t I am creating. I will certainly take a deeper look at it to potentially get some ideas.

On the surface I see some big differences. Rather than being focused on scheduling future maintenance, myLogbook addressed travel, service, and cost records as well as analysis of your complete RVing history.

Another key difference is rather than being a commercial product with a repeating annual subscription, myLogbook is available without cost and your records are always available to you. If you sell your RV, you can easily provide the new owners with its service history, complete with copies of all the service and self-maintenance receipts and records.

I have considered the possible addition of a maintenance scheduling component to myLogbook that integrates with Google Calendar if there is sufficient interest.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I really want to thank you for the heads up on this one. As I mentioned in my initial reply, it is very different from what I'm working on but, it is also packed with a number of great ideas.

I like the large number of instructional videos available. As myLogbook will be far less complex, little if anything will be required in terms of a tutorial video but I really like the overview they offer. I'll have to create a one or two product overview videos, possibly one on the travel log portion and another on the service log module.

As I go through this product I am sure I'll get additional ideas both on great features and ways to avoid the complexity.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

As I see it, most spreadsheets are great for maintenance items and keeping track of expenses. But after almost 30 years of living and cruising on our boat, and now the RV, the largest part of our logs have always been dedicated to travel info and details of the places we visited and the people we have met. A spreadsheet does not serve this well. Chuck
chuckbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #12

I have a TabletPC (presently a Surface Go) and I track my travels in OneNote. I can also access it with my phone (OneNote app for Android) or my home Desktop. I can add photos later and it turns into a travel scrapbook as well. At the top of the page I have quick access to mileage, tire change, and oil change information so it is always easily accessible. Paperless!
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

When I retired I told myself if I never have to make another spreadsheet as long as I'm alive that'll be just fine with me....
Steno pad for maintenance, mileage, fuel, mods etc.
Wife keeps a very nice hand written travel journal.
Receipts go in a big Manila envelope inside the operators manual binder.
No batteries required.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
These are all great ideas and comments and a lot of its has been addressed in the software. If you want greater detail on how it works and what it does, feel free to OPM me and I'll forward a link to download a Q&A document.

Tags
service, travel