Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #1

RV traveling - Freight Trucks - Volume - Thoughts

Firstly - I have no issue with OTR freight trucking or their drivers - other than rare exceptions .... they are very professional and courteous.
I recently drove from St. Louis to the Gulf Coast and back on I55
Given ..... traffic is different with Covid impacts
When I drove from St. Louis to Memphis on I55
There were times when as far as I could see it was OTR Freight trucks
I've driven this route many, many times and never notice the volume of freight trucks
I was shocked/surprised to see endless OTR freight trucks
- I recall driving on an interstate near Detroit years ago, I was told that the freight trucks were so heavy you couldn't get into the right lane, I assumed that was an exaggeration but when driving it found it to be true.
- I toured the Tacoma Container Port and was shocked to learn about mass of shipping containers from ships moving product from Asia to the US pacific coast then the mass of trucking of those containers across the US.
I understand that Covid drove on-line shopping which has significantly increased freight. Also I know that reduced airline travel has resulted in significantly reduced freight transportation via passenger plan holds. These have driven an increase in truck freight.
Post-covid truck freight may be reduced some from increased passenger flights but the increased on-line shopping is likely here to stay
Thus I expect for years to come significantly increased OTR truck freight and thus truck traffic. It takes years to expand interstates so I expect the traffic volume post-covid to be much higher.
I also typically see a lot of RVs on the interstate but I saw relatively few. Despite the significant increase in RV sales, I was surprised at how few I saw. This will add a lot of volume to the mix post-Covid.

Just my observations & thoughts from this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	322701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	322702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	322703  
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #2

I am one of those OTR drivers, and I can professionally say that the increase in trucks on the road is also due to large businesses not stocking inventory as they did in the past. What we call Just-In-Time freight (JIT) occurred only every now and again mainly with the automotive industries. Now, most of my freight is JIT. And yes, Walmart and Amazon have greatly impacted the freight hauling industry as well.
Durnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't foresee a big increase. People are buying X amount of product, either from a store or online. The same amount of product has to be shipped either to the store or some place like an Amazon warehouse. I understand that more businesses drop ship, but those shipments are usually small box trucks or vans.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #4

I live very close to an I40/I75 intersect. The truck traffic has been just insane for months now. We have also had several accidents where the truck traffic is really noticeable as it sits backed up for miles. JIT for what is what I want to know.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:45 AM   #5

I10 out of Cali and east to Houston is insane. If you want to exit in the next 50 miles you better be trying to get to the right lane right now. Endless trains of trucks running like circus elephants, nose to tail.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We took I40 from central AZ to Oklahoma City at the end of February. The truck traffic seemed extraordinarily high (we travel that route a lot). I don’t know if it was the truck traffic increasing an order of magnitude or just that there weren’t many passenger cars that made it seem like there was more trucks. I counted a few times, and the percentage of cars ranged from between 10%-30%, depending on how close we were to a population center. I have never seen to few cars on the road, which I put down to COVID.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #7

That is why it was a big mistake to dismantle the countries railroad system. Of the several methods of moving freight, trucking is the least efficient. Number one is by water which has obvious limitations, number three is by air with less limitations, number three is by rail with its limitations, number four is by land.
This means in the end multimodal is always the end means of transportation.
ref: https://forto.com/en/blog/modes-tran...xplained-best/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting observations, but from an impact standpoint non problematic to our travels. I have more issues with the four wheelers when I come off the interstates onto the state roads and local routes.

As we come out of CV impacts, I expect to have to revise my travel strategies to take into account a large rise in non truck traffic into popular destinations.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is why it was a big mistake to dismantle the countries railroad system. Of the several methods of moving freight, trucking is the least efficient. Number one is by water which has obvious limitations, number three is by air with less limitations, number three is by rail with its limitations, number four is by land.
This means in the end multimodal is always the end means of transportation.
ref: https://forto.com/en/blog/modes-tran...xplained-best/
UPS and others move a lot of cross country freight by rail. Trailer on Flatcar TOFC. The rail service to me, someone not in charge but who waited for late trains for 30 years , is abysmal. At least it was some years ago when I did that. Broke down train ,Crews who run out of hours in the middle of nowhere and train sits on the tracks . Pure mismanagement. Meeting time in transit with them was very difficult. It was a real love hate relationship.
Todays business have all moved to logistics. not warehousing stock but ordering frequently from central locations. Yes more trucks and soon with a huge shortage of people unwilling to fill good paying trucking jobs... automation. Trucks that will run the freeway part without a driver but one central person controlling/ overseing several trucks. Its already being tested. Actually I'd feel safer with the computer in control than some of the people some desperate companies hire.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #10

National news tonight reported that furniture and appliance deliveries have gone from days to months. Many people canceling orders out of frustration. Said issues are across the board. Shortages of 3rd party parts. Shortages of packing materials. HU
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

We bought 2 recliners in Feb and were told June delivery.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel