Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
RV Value.

We have a 2017 Jayco Grayhawk 29MV. We’ve been traveled across the country and back to Maine with it for the last seven months. We are on our last leg and headed back to Maine in a couple of weeks. Putting on about 13000 mile which makes a total of 15000 on the motorhome. We enjoy camping very much but have decided we don’t want to take another trip as long as this one has been again. We would like to continue to enjoy our backyard. My question is where do I find the value of our motor home and what is the best way to sell it? Do dealers take them as a trade in on a new smaller camper knowing the price we have to get would include paying off our current loan? Is it best just to sell it in a private sale? Thanks in advance.
Seahawk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

Here in Maryland we have two types of RV Dealers. Some sell only Travel Trailers and Fifth wheel Campers. No motorized units. The other type can actually sell both motorized and trailers. I don't know what you have in mind but I will go as far as to say stay away from C..... World. Just don't go there. The point is I think you could trade down and if you want a smaller MH go to that type dealer. I don't think a trailer dealer would be interested in a MH.

Sudsy
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, dealers will take it in on trade and pay off the loan.

I would try to sell it to an individual.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check NADA, that will give you something to go on. The check dealers on the internet, there may be some of the same model/year listed, then check the sold listings. Between that you should be able to get an idea of what yours might be worth and go from there.
But, remember, the actual selling price will be what you and a buyer decide.
BTW: trading doesn't have to involve paying off the old loan, just pay it off yourself then you're free to sell or trade it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

Prepare to learn the definition of deprecation in RVs.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You and your bank are the only people in the world who care what you owe on your rig. Everyone else just cares what it's worth to them. Value is location dependent and time dependent; when and where you sell it matters. To determine its value where you live, consult local sellers; online and on lot. This will give you some idea. A 2017 luxury item, like a motorhome, is a rapidly depreciating asset, be prepared to get a lot less than you paid. Dealers will take it in on trade, but dealers must pay expenses and make a profit, so they will need to pay a lot less than its worth or they go out of business.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do dealers take them as a trade in on a new smaller camper knowing the price we have to get would include paying off our current loan?
If it's a desirable unit, a dealer would probably buy it from you to re-sell, but they could care less about the size of your loan balance. They will offer you a price that allows them to make money on the resale. If it's enough to pay off your loan, great. If not, it's your problem to pay off the rest. Immediately, so the dealer can get a clear title. They will arrange the payoff and do the paperwork, but they aren't giving you any extra money if you owe too much.

Not really any different if you sell privately. The buyer is going to offer you what the rig is worth to him. If you owe more than that, you either pay off the extra yourself or keep the RV and keep on making the payments and the insurance. Your choice.

If you are like many RV owners, you owe a lot more than it is currently worth. Many RV loan balances do not get below "fair market value" until late in the loan. If ever. Be prepared for shock!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #8

Last September my wife and I attended the Newmar

Hoots rally in Marion, NC. Tom Johnson Camping World was our host. We toured a lot of their coaches. While we hadn’t intended to buy, we found a new coach that e loved. I was pleasantly surprised with the generous trade-in they gave us and the good discount on our new Newmar. So-It all depends upon the dealer and how anxious he is to make a deal!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Grab your shorts when you see the price a dealer will offer. Quick looking on line I see 2018 close to $90000 2017 close to $80000 and used 2017 $70000. I would guess one could purchase new in the mid $70's,so if yours looks new might get mid $60's if sold private. Would guess dealer will be offering mid $50's. Round numbers but you will be better off selling and repurchasing. In all reality best is most likely to just use your unit, a good size for state parks.

LEN
Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

How big your hit will be also depends on how good or bad a deal you got when you purchased the present unit. Just sayin.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

IRV2 also has a classified ads section. Go to the very top of the page, just below the pictures, third from the left. You can post an ad for your coach for free. Pics help A LOT! If it were me, I would figure out what I thought I could get out of it, take lots of pictures, and just use it until someone buys it.

Trading in will be beneficial to the dealer taking it in trade, but not you. The dealer is going to low ball offer you an amount that will allow him to sell it quick for an immediate profit. The chances are that you are upside down on the loan, depending on how much you put down on your loan. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The bottom line is:
1.Your rig's market value is probably much less than you think and almost surely less than you owe on a 2017
2. A dealer is only going to buy at wholesale, which is maybe 60% of retail market value
3. A private sale buyer is going to expect a rather steep discount on your 2017 because he can buy a new 2018 with a warranty for 20%-30% below MSRP
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #13

As the saying goes It will be cheaper to keep her for several more years depending on how big of a hit you can stand. Trading on smaller unit doesn’t gain anything your just transferring losses to another unit which is depreciating also.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #14

Seahawk, I know no more than anyone else about the value of your coach, but am curious about you decision to get rid of it. If you enjoyed the last trip, why not take more trips, but just make them shorter.

Going down to a camper type rig and giving up the amenities of a nice MH may leave you feeling "unfinished". You don't need to go 13K miles to enjoy a weekend or two, or just to travel a lot in your local area.

Maybe you have thought it all through, but maybe some reexamination could help.

Just a thought.............

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote