Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is my take on this subject....
One ..... R.V.ing is not cheap. Odds are you can stay in a motel or a hotel for less money if you consider cost of fuel, maintenance and upkeep for a R.V., campground fees etc etc etc .....
Two. When I stay in a motel/hotel and I have to go out and get ice I sometimes pass a person in the hallway or meet someone on the elevator. Do you notice that you almost never make eye contact with that person and when you pass them in the hallway you go to one side and they go to the other and when you get into your room you immediately lock the door.
Three... we travel with three dogs and most motel/hotels charge a fee for pets if they will let you keep them in your room.....
Four. You never know who slept in that bed last night and there is little way to tell how ''clean'' everything is in the room .........
In our R.V. you know who slept in that bed last nite. we can take our dogs along without a problem. In a campground we only lock the door at night and sometimes we forget to do that. In a campground we sit outside and people watch and more than likely people will stop and talk to you, sit around and share a marshmellow over the fire and talk about where you have been and where you are going next. And if I wanted to ''save money'' I would stay home.........
Motel/hotels have their place but our ''PLACE'' is in our motor home ....
Somehow I do not really feel safe in a motel/hotel any more. In my coach I am absolutely secure..........
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ......ALL GAVE SOME ..... SOME GAVE ALL .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I know who slept in my bed last night...do you?
Come on now Jim! You can't even remember what you did last night, let alone who slept in your bed!!

Ya'll please don't tell the DW about the magazines under the mattress.

The first part of 2007, February, we took a trip to Dallas, TX, in the car for a meeting.
We stayed in a 5 star hotel. On the way home Earlene stated she thought she was coming down with a cold. This was a Monday. On Tuesday she was really miserable, and I was coming down with the cold. On Thursday she was running a fever, and I was starting to feel a little better. On Sunday I admitted her to the ER. I pulled up in front, got her out, said I'll be right back after I park the car, and when I walked in she was already in an ER room. Monday morning the doctor took me to his office, showed me the ex-rays of her lungs, and said, "Seventy-five percent of people who have lungs that look like this do not survive." Turned out she had bi-lateral pneumonia and ARDS. They could not, and never did, find out what the infection was. She was on her death bed for 10 days, comatose, and 14 days total in the hospital. The only ASSUMPTION was that she acquired the infection from something in the hotel room, but it was never discovered.

Today she is a 25 percent survivor and a heck of a lot healthier then I am, but we avoid motel/hotels, just because.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Plus if you want to build a campfire outside your room's front door.. Hotel: Major issue,
Depends on where you stay,

I will agree that your typical Urban Hotel/Motel does not allow outdoor fires....But then I'm not a pyromaniac, so fire is not a big issue for me when I am on a 1-2 nighter. However the Cabins at many resorts allow campfires,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
if you want to cook lunch.. Hotel room: Usually prohibited, ....
Many Hotels/Resorts/Condos, come with fully stocked kitchens or at minimum a refrig and microwave...

Because I am still a "Working Stiff"; currently time is a more scarce resource than $$$. (I am so envious of you "retired types")

Taking the RV is a real time hassle for any trip of less than 3 nights or any trip longer that 1000 miles. (Loading/Unloading, cleaning up, driving, etc)

I prefer the RV for "short" trips (<1000 mi) of at least 4 night duration..or the "Marathon" 3000 mile 4 week adventure!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #18

I'm a recently retired pilot, so I'm still avoiding hotels and airports at all cost. Plus we take our 3 dogs(Rotty, Swissy, Boston) with us.

Also, I'm not sick as much since I retired?
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #19

Anyone who buys an RV with saving money in mind didn't do the math correctly. There are a myriad of reasons we prefer to travel/live in an RV. We stay in a hotel when there are few other practical options, like a two day business trip to downtown Chicago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've done a lot of things over the years for fun and quality of life for which the 'economics' didn't make sense. The RV is just one of them (my wife occasionally reminds me about the airplanes we owned years ago too). Not eveything we do makes 'sense', if you stop to add up the dollars, but life's too short...

2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I get free comped rooms or free rv pad. I take the pad.

And I can take the pups.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Still prefer to sleep in my own bed and have access to my stuff. Plus the dogs and parrot get to come along. That would be added cost to board them and that you can't get a Priceline reduction.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #23

Buying an RV to save money is like buying a boat to save money on the fish you eat.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Buying an RV to save money is like buying a boat to save money on the fish you eat.
BOB
Well put Bob. I shall remember this and use it often. I will also give you ten cents the next time I see you for using this statement ...
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon
God bless our vets .... ALL GAVE SOME ...... SOME GAVE ALL ....
ps... one other thing that ''slants'' my prospective on Motel/Hotel stays. I am retired like most of you guys. I rarely make a 3 day turn around to anything. The exception being a cruise out of Tampa we went on and had to spend the nite on the road going down and coming back. Most of the time, if we have to be somewhere for three days for a specific reason, we plan a two or three week excursion and work that three day thingie in the plans. And its true that downtown Chicago just wont work our in a motor home... Sometimes you ''gotta do what you gotta do''............. Nuff said............
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The only reason we have a 20' trailer, a 30' trailer and a 40' motorhome are at my feet as this is written (note the signature). If they can't go, we don't go and so far we've not found a hotel allowing three 60lb. "girls".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The only reason we have a 20' trailer, a 30' trailer and a 40' motorhome
Lucky dogs, they get an rv each.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Lucky dogs, they get an rv each.
Actually the 20 footer hasn't been out of the barn in 6 years - the 30 footer in 2 years........ We're on 20 acres with a huge barn and everythings under cover. It's such a hassle selling things.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
......It's such a hassle selling things.
Ah, the pressures on the "idle rich"...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote