Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
RV washer detergent

What brand of washing detergent do you think works best in your RV washing machine? Mine recommends the little premeasured packets. Can I use loose powder detergent without a problem? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

The lack of information makes responding difficult. What brand/make do you have now? For front-loaders the use of HE washing machine detergent is mandatory. For top-loaders almost any detergent works-liquid or powder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just use whatever says ok for HE. Box of Tide currently.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Liquid Tide
Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the stick house we've been using ½ a scoop of normal Kirkland brand detergent in the Samsung front loader. I don't think it's even HE rated. Haven't had any troubles with it at all. Haven't used the Ariston one in the Magna yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We have been using Tide HE. No problems and it gets the clothes clean. As long as it's HE you're okay. Just keep the sudzing to a minimum.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read something in another post about detergent that I really never thought about. Most RV washers are smaller than most home units, so you may want to be careful how much soap you use. We've just been throwing in the Tide packets and never really thought they might be too much soap.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Many RVs have the Splendide washer/dryer combo and that is very much different than the typical home washer and different than any top-loader. If that's what Maddog45 has, a very low suds detergent is a necessity and it also needs one that won't gum up the dispenser tray. The liquids seem to cause less problems with the dispenser and we mostly use Tide liquid for that reason.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog45 View Post
What brand of washing detergent do you think works best in your RV washing machine? Mine recommends the little premeasured packets. Can I use loose powder detergent without a problem? Thanks.
The packets may be too big for an RV washer, especially if you have a combo unit, because the combo units have very small drums. Using too much detergent can make it difficult to get all the soap rinsed from your clothes. Splendide models have an extra rinse option, which I would recommend if using packets.

Since most washers installed in RVs are front loaders, you need to use HE detergent (high efficiency = low suds) as others have said.

We use Tide HE with good results. Tide HE is available in small boxes (sometimes you have to search for them), which is a plus for limited storage space in RVs.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Splendide washer/dryer combo and use liquid tide HE. Our machine says to use 1 to 2 tbs of detergent
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

paz makes a good point. Too much detergent can cause a buildup of soap in the drum, which greatly reduces efficency, and can cause othe problems if the sensors become coated or plugged.
Like Wizard said, 1-2 Tbs of are the maximum amount for Splendide unites.
I wonder if the OP is reading the replies?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just opened the second box of Splendide detergent with our Splendide Combo 2000 S. 1 scoop per load. We got 4.5 months of full time use from 1 box, 2 people.

We use less than a tablespoon of Downey fabric softener in all loads except towels. On heavy dirt will add a 1/2 scoop of the detergent to the prewash.

The thing works great. Annie took a load to laundry here in the park and said never again. The Splendide does a better job. We do have a water softener and Metal Trap Ultra Duo filters on our water which may be why it does a better job - better water cleans better.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog45 View Post
maddog45
My wife. (THE "laundry expert" of my family), uses "a table spoon" of "liquid Tide HE" detergent per load in our Splendide w/d:
Tide HE Turbo Clean the recommended detergent for high efficiency washers

BTW, she says "one table spoon of Tide HD powder also works".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the good info. We have a Whirlpool stackable, front load in our 2011 Excel. I've been using the Tide HE packets, but wondered about same size packet of soap for smaller loads. You've answered my question. Love this forum!