Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

RV Water Pump Noise Issue Finally Resolved

After two years of full-timing and using our on-demand water pump and water tank exclusively, I was consigned to the fact that the pump would always be very noisy. The noise generated varied from a machine gun staccato to a banging and, on rare occasions, a drum roll.

I read many blogs and implemented a handful of suggestions to quiet the pump with no success. I even replaced our Shurflo water pump with the same model and adjusted pressure settings. Then I added loops twice with two different types of hoses, replaced the pump with a Remco AquaJet, removed the upstream filter, and added a pressure regulator to the input of the Truma Aquago since the on-demand pump started a rattle in the water heater. Skipping the addition of an accumulator was a choice I made since I did not have space.

After all the attempts to correct the issue without success, I concluded that my RV plumbing's fluid dynamics must be such that the noise was something I would have to tolerate.

Recently, a friend said he had installed an Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller and that it helped with low water flows and quieted his pump a little, although it was not very noisy originally.

I bought the Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller and installed it and can not believe the difference it has made. I switched back to the Shurflo water pump and installed the controller and pressure sensor, and the noise reduction is remarkable. I can barely hear the pump on low water flows and a gentle hum at full pressure. It has been one of the top 3 upgrades I have made to our RV, and my wife says I have made a lot. Some RV owners do not experience water pump noise or only use the water system when connected to a campground spigot, but others continue to experience the issue from the blogs I have read. The installation was not complicated, and I am not associated with the company, but only a delighted customer.
LarryV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #2

LarryV18-

Is this the link to the seller's Web site?

https://www.irvwpc.com/
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
They sure don't make it easy to figure out the price! 235 Canadian
Old 05-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LarryV18-

Is this the link to the seller's Web site?

https://www.irvwpc.com/
Yes , that is the website.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
They sure don't make it easy to figure out the price! 235 Canadian
It ran about $210 US.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryV18 View Post
After two years of full-timing and using our on-demand water pump and water tank exclusively, I was consigned to the fact that the pump would always be very noisy. The noise generated varied from a machine gun staccato to a banging and, on rare occasions, a drum roll.

I read many blogs and implemented a handful of suggestions to quiet the pump with no success. I even replaced our Shurflo water pump with the same model and adjusted pressure settings. Then I added loops twice with two different types of hoses, replaced the pump with a Remco AquaJet, removed the upstream filter, and added a pressure regulator to the input of the Truma Aquago since the on-demand pump started a rattle in the water heater. Skipping the addition of an accumulator was a choice I made since I did not have space.

After all the attempts to correct the issue without success, I concluded that my RV plumbing's fluid dynamics must be such that the noise was something I would have to tolerate.

Recently, a friend said he had installed an Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller and that it helped with low water flows and quieted his pump a little, although it was not very noisy originally.

I bought the Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller and installed it and can not believe the difference it has made. I switched back to the Shurflo water pump and installed the controller and pressure sensor, and the noise reduction is remarkable. I can barely hear the pump on low water flows and a gentle hum at full pressure. It has been one of the top 3 upgrades I have made to our RV, and my wife says I have made a lot. Some RV owners do not experience water pump noise or only use the water system when connected to a campground spigot, but others continue to experience the issue from the blogs I have read. The installation was not complicated, and I am not associated with the company, but only a delighted customer.
I too have had the same issue, i added foam, thicker rubber mounts and sound deadening material around our pump, as the pump is mounted under bed. I have had some success, but it is still very loud. I just ordered the water pump controller and can’t wait to give it a go. Thank you for sharing your story and I do have to ask your other RV upgrades that made it to you top 3?

Thanks

Dan
Dan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:19 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are water pumps that do what this device claims already and they’re cheaper. Did you consider one of those?
Old 05-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #8

Another one who draws water from the onboard tank exclusively.

Somehow pump noise does not bother me. If I hear an unusual sound I know to investigate it.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post

Somehow pump noise does not bother me. If I hear an unusual sound I know to investigate it.
Pump noise when no faucet is open is a sure sign of a leak. IMO that is an expensive solution looking for a problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #10

atwood water heater problems
hitchiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
There are water pumps that do what this device claims already and they’re cheaper. Did you consider one of those?
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I had already tried a Remco RV AquaJet, which per their website, has a

"patented five-chamber speed technology and five chamber design; the Remco PowerRV Aquajet has earned a reputation as the finest and most advanced RV water system pump on the market,"

and that did not help with the noise.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post

Thank you for your thoughtful and nice comment about us exclusive members of the forum! Unfortunately, as I said in my post, the pump sounded like a machine gun or drum roll, and I could only imagine what the associated movement might be doing to the plumbing system.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryV18 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I had already tried a Remco RV AquaJet, which per their website, has a

"patented five-chamber speed technology and five chamber design; the Remco PowerRV Aquajet has earned a reputation as the finest and most advanced RV water system pump on the market,"

and that did not help with the noise.

I've used several of the Shurflo units before and they were super quiet. A lot of the time I couldn't tell that they were running at all. I loved that the more water I called for, the more they pumped. Never ever pulsed.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Pump noise when no faucet is open is a sure sign of a leak. IMO that is an expensive solution looking for a problem.
Thank you for your thoughtful comment and good point! I agree that hearing the pump cycle periodically is a sure sign of a leak or even a check valve issue. Unfortunately, as I said in my post, the pump sounded like a machine gun or drum roll, and I could only imagine what the associated movement might be doing to the plumbing system. Good point!

Tags
noise, pump, water, water pump