Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #1

RV won't go into drive

okay guys I have to move my RV today. Even though I've never driven it before and I'm absolutely terrified the most important thing right now is I've disconnected everything I get in the driver seat it starts right up. Now I can't get it from Park to drive what did I forget to disconnect or what did I forget to do I need help ASAP if anyone sees this right away let me know. Thank you so much and I read the instruction manual but it doesn't say anything about why it won't go into drive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

Isn't there someone parked near you to ask?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #3

Only thing I can think of is that you must have your foot on the brake.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #4

The person that usually helps me is out with his family today and there's nobody else really available I don't see anyone out and about and I thought this would be just a quick thing darn it
Old 08-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Only thing I can think of is that you must have your foot on the brake.
Yeah I did put my foot on the brake and it didn't do anything so I I disconnected the chassis I brought in my slide out it starts right up but I just can't get it from lpark to drive
Old 08-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #6

Jacks retracted???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Make sure your hand break is off. All slides in. Step on break HARD....until completely depressed. Keep it pressed in then try to move to drive.

PAM
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #8

Besides other comments and add to brake question...To be clear is shifter locked. Have someone check your brake lights to come on. I had dual propose brake / light switch cause this on an auto. I think some vehicles had a way to bypass the shift lock if that the issue.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:22 AM   #9

Does it have a steering wheel lock? If so and the steering wheel is hard on the lock it can prevent being able to move the shifter. Forcefully turn the steering wheel OFF the lock position and try the shifter. Oh and also have foot on service brake.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #10

I'd guess you have the steering wheel in a bind and the shifter won't pull the pin out of the lock position. Turn the wheel to the right and left while pulling the shifter out of park and holding brake.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #11

If the fuse for the brake lights is burned out it will not allow it to come out of park.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #12

I'm addressing everybody and thank you for your your support. So I tried everything and all the sudden it just went to drive. I don't know why but it just went into drive and then I went and got propane( I drove it by the way it was awesome! And that went well I drove it I'm feeling a little bit better about driving it now but that's not on the what I'm talking about right now) I don't know why but it did it again. I had it in park when I got the propane and when I turned it on and went to put it in and drive it did the same thing again it's just like it was stuck? It didn't want to go into drive but all the sudden it just went back into drive a few minutes later. L
I'm not quite sure, I'm going to have it looked at,I don't know if there was something that needs to be like another button I'm missing or but I did bring my slide out all the way. I have my foot on the break it was Park so I don't know. I thought maybe there was some miracle thing that I forgot.
I'll keep you posted on this but thank you so much for all your help you guys have helped so much you have no idea I so appreciate you and thank you!
Old 08-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
You have a shift interlock. The brake pedal must be pressed, but more importantly, the brake switch must make contact, and that is what lets the ECM know to allow shifting to occur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (66).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	338912  
Old 08-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
You have a shift interlock. The brake pedal must be pressed, but more importantly, the brake switch must make contact, and that is what lets the ECM know to allow shifting to occur.
So what am I looking for when it won't shift? I do have my foot on break. Thank you!

Tags
need help