Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Post RV'er sues Walmart over intruder in store lot

Family sues Walmart over intruder in store lot | The Salt Lake Tribune

Sounds like this walmart store 'may' have been a bit negligent in keeping riff raff off the parking lot?

However I don't think walmart should have to pay a dime. The weirdo could of just as easily walked up to a stick or brick house and done the exact same thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope this doesnt result in a new walmart policy of stopping free overnighters. Anything that effects their bottom line will get their attention.
Why did they open their door? In the middle of the night they better be in uniform with flashing lights to get me out.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate lawyers.
But I hate the whiny even more.

Not to open this up the to carry or not discussion, but...

People need to learn how to look out for their own interests better BEFORE a situation like this can develop despite the lawyers assertion that "Because travelers are invited to stay on the property, Walmart has a responsibility to warn and protect them from any foreseeable harm including criminal activity, she said."

What utter nonsense.
Walmart, nor any other property owner, has any such responsibility.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

I don't think Walmart "invites" RV'ers to stay in their parking lots overnight.....however, they do allow it and a lot of us are grateful for that.

That lawsuit is utter [moderator edit] !!
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If this is true then whats to keep every crazy from doing the same thing to all the RV parks in the country....Can the people that were camping and got malled by the grizzleys sue Yellowstone Park????? This suit will open up a big can of beans for all the greedy lawyers in the country....they are always looking for new prey.....I hope the judge throws this case out!!!!
texaspenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #6

Bound to happen, pulling into a totally strange area with no security and endangering yourself just to save a few bucks. And as usual, lets sue.NO, I am not a campground owner, but do not feel safe putting my family in those situations.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Walmart should be forced to buy the couple a new shotgun shell that they had to use to kill the [moderator edit] and then expell them from ever going to or camping at Walmart ever again for being so stupid.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Bound to happen...
bound to?

Quote:
...pulling into a totally strange area with no security and endangering yourself just to save a few bucks.
Not to belabor the point (as it has been made may times already) but your comment here completely misses the point.

This incident could have happened anywhere as danger and risk exist everywhere, even in the false security cocoon of a recognized campground with armed rangers doing regular patrols.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Walmart is in a catch 22 position, no? The way the system sems to work now a days they would probably have been sued by the "bad guy" if they had required him to leave the parking lot.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #10

As a person who feels responsible for myself, I would not have opened the door in the first place. I can either open a small window to talk or talk through the door. How like today's wimps to place the blame everywhere except where it belongs. They were stupid and now want compensation from someone else for their own stupidity.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
As a person who feels responsible for myself, I would not have opened the door in the first place. I can either open a small window to talk or talk through the door. How like today's wimps to place the blame everywhere except where it belongs. They were stupid and now want compensation from someone else for their own stupidity.
Ditto. Good post.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The judge needs to fine the lawyer and kick the case out of court. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. This is beyond stupid.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #13

You can not legislate, regulate or even insure against stupidity. These people are perfect examples of why the gene pool needs to periodically have a good dousing of bleach. Happy travels, Ken........
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shakespeare “THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILLALL THE. LAWYERS.”