Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

RVing & Hoteling Simultaneously!

Hi! I have what most people will consider a funny question: Have any of you ever traveled in your RV then had some of your group stay in a hotel b/c there wasn't enough room in the RV? We have a big family (5 kids + one new husband (-; ). My dream vacation is to drive in, most probably a Class C, then some of us stay in the RV for the vacation and the rest in a hotel room. But here is just one of the many problems I see: What hotel has a parking lot/garage big enough for one of those nice Class Cs? My family is used to staying in hotel suites b/c the size of our group (which is usually even bigger b/c at least one of the kids brings a friend), and the two places that we like to stay the most have the garage parking (like at a shopping center). I figure that we'd save at least some $ by not having to get a suite w/so many bedrooms, but that's only if we can stay in the RV somewhere on the premises or very close by. I am just SO sick of the yucky hotels anymore. Housekeeping is usually not very good at any of the places we go to, and for some reason it is really just starting to bother me (I'm 47). I LOVE the thought of sleeping on my own stuff in the RV. Most of the kids are fine w/a hotel.

I'm guessing what I am dreaming of is probably not a very viable plan, huh )-: ?
Miliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #2

We just returned from a month long trip that included 10 days at the beach, with family there for a week of that. It had been a "tradition" that everyone stayed in th same house the last few years, but with 5 kids from 9-16, and older aunt, and 3 other couples, well, you get it............

Our RV site was about 15 minutes away, and all I can say it made for a much more enjoyable stay for us. We were able to get up when we wanted, have our coffee and relax, head over to the house / beach when we wanted, go back to the coach to clean up for the evening and not fight over the bathrooms, and end the evening when we were ready to.

The only drawback is that one of us had to manage our adult beverage consumption to drive back to the RV, but on the other hand, without having to put up with family kaos 7x24, we didn't have to drink all day either.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An RV= entertains 8, dines 4, sleeps 2! You could pitch a tent for the overflow sleepers...they may may not come back!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

Stay in campgrounds like KOA or others that have cabins.

Gulf state Park at Gulf Shores ,Al has campgrounds and cabins. Also lots of beachfront condos close by.

We stayed at a KOA in Gatlinburg , 6 in MH (3 kids) 2 in cabin. Not the Crowne Plaza but lots of fun.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
Stay in campgrounds like KOA or others that have cabins.

Gulf state Park at Gulf Shores ,Al has campgrounds and cabins. Also lots of beachfront condos close by.

We stayed at a KOA in Gatlinburg , 6 in MH (3 kids) 2 in cabin. Not the Crowne Plaza but lots of fun.

That would be my recommendation too!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Good suggestion on the campgrounds with cabins, In July we stayed at a real nice campground in Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame) that had great cabins with power and AC through out the CG.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
While you can find the occasional motel that also has a small RV park it is relatively easy, as others have already pointed out, to find RV parks that also have accommodations for those that do not own an RV.

Concentrate on finding RV parks with non-RV accommodations rather than motels that can accommodate your RV and you'll be golden.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

You probably will not be able to stay as you suggest in large cities because of parking for the RV. You certainly will not be going into parking garages.

It's possible to do if you go to rural areas such as where national or state parks would be. Most national parks have campgrounds along with hotel/cabin accommodations.

Some state parks have yurts to rent within the campground. These are great, spacious and clean for sleeping. The ones I'm thinking of are in the Oregon State Parks but I'm sure others have them, along with cabins.

Getting a campsite with a tent pad would be another option.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

Have you considered a Class B or tiny C (aka B+)? Many of the Sprinter-based Bs will seat 7. Navigating cities and hotel parking lots wouldn't be a problem for a B, although you'd likely be limited to 1-2 sleeping in a B. A B+ would be even better space wise, but I don't think there are any with seltbelts for 7.

Another option would be towing a small travel trailer behind a large SUV or passenger van. Something small like a 13-15' egg shaped fiberglass trailer should easily fit in hotel parking lots. Our 13' Scamp certainly did when we drove cross country with our three kids.
TransitNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
but on the other hand, without having to put up with family kaos 7x24, we didn't have to drink all day either.
LOL Thanks for the laugh. We don't drink anymore (19 years) but we use to refer to booze as "repellent"
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #11

Thank you so much for all of the replies!! They are all very much appreciated (-: ! It's ironic that one person mentioned Gatlinburg b/c that is one of the two places we like to go to the most. I've often wondered what their campground is like when we pass it. We always stay in Gatlinburg at Zoder's Inn, which we love, but the largest room there is a two-bedroom suite, and with all of our people, it's just not enough. I've always wanted to RV down to there. Our other most favorite place is Myrtle Beach. We always stay at the Dunes, but the housekeeping there is not very good, and I'm just plain tired of living in countless other families' filth )-: . If you look at Trip Advisor, I'd bet money that icky hotel rooms are one of, if not THE, biggest complaint. Many years ago, when we had three young daughters and a baby, we stayed at Pirateland, and it was really nice. However, it doesn't seem so great now according to recent reviews. And from what I hear, most campgrounds have their RVs packed in like sardines. I guess due to the bar being set so low now in society for just about everything, service and maintenance of vacation places isn't so hot no matter where you stay, be it a hotel, campground, or resort. And it kills me to spend so much money (even some of the campgrounds are expensive now!) on a vacation, only to constantly run into some kind of pretty annoying problem, like dirty places, non-existent wi-fi, unhelpful staff, etc. I'm getting depressed writing this /-: ! Maybe we should just appreciate being home more!
Miliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #12

We've not had any issues parking in hotel parking lots while following our Grandson's Hockey team. We call the hotel in advance and checkout the parking lot via Google Earth. Of course the hockey team and parents are staying in the hotel and the hotel is usually fully booked.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #13

I know I'm a little off topic here but I think a lot of the smaller hotel/motel operations out in vacation land are being bought up by foreigners or foreign corporations. In my opinion and experience, some of these folks do not have the same standards for living as we do and this translates into the type of cleanliness found in some of these smaller operations. Seems to effect restaurants too in touristy towns as evidenced in Lake George, NY area.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

I'm not sure many hotels would be keen on mom and dad sleeping in the rv while their now unsupervised kids stayed in a hotel. But one never knows. I too like the idea of the KOA cabins and perhaps you can get a site close by.

When we owned a small class c (Winneabgo Rialta) we would schedule a stop at a motel from time to time to take a break from the confined space, take a real shower/bath, and eat someone else's cooking. I fully understand and agree with the sleeping in my own bed which is why I have an rv. But every now and then I'll do the hotel thing.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving