Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
RVing the Oregon coast, any suggestions

After our first couple of trips the DW says that our next trip should be to the Oregon coast.

Although we have driven through a couple of times, we really know nothing about it, especially pulling a 5th wheel.

We will be coming from Vancouver, B.C.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

I grew up on the "mossy" side of Oregon and am familiar with most of the coast. Most of Hwy 101 is (was) in good shape at least it was when I last saw the upper portion (2009-ish) between Tillamook and Newport. There are several state parks that accommodate RVs up and down the coast. Any particular questions you need to ask?
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed on the Washington side last month at Cape Disappointment State Park. That said, we looked at FortStevens State Park on the Oregon side and were very impressed. Don't miss the maritime museum in Astoria.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

The State Parks are great. Ft Stevens (Astoria and surrounding area), Bullock Beach (Bandon, lighthouse, crabbing from dock), Harris Beach (Brookings and surrounding area) are just a few.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mmm good eating!
Mo's Seafood Restaurants in Newport, Florence, Otter Rock, Lincoln City and Cannon Beach, Oregon
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
We just did the OR coast and went up the 101 as we eventually headed to Chehalis, WA. Beautiful drive and we stayed in the Newport area, Pacific City, Seaside, and finally Long Beach, WA. Each coastal destination was great with lovely views and activities.

We would recommend that you dine at the 42nd Street Cafe and Cottage Bakery in Long Beach, get some chowder at the Pelilcan Pub and Mexican food at Los Coparales in Pacific City, for seafood, The Local Ocean in Newport and Nanas Irish Pub in Newport. Of course you must visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

Our last two experiences at Mo's Seafood were horrible and I suggest you skip them.

Of course there is some great Lewis & Clark History in the area.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

We're heading to Nehalem state park this weekend, I'll let you know our impression.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would also recommend the Castaways in Long Beach WA. Great chowder and the best chiopppni (sp) that I have ever had.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Trip Advisor has a great list, by city. Oregon Coast Tourism and Vacations: 244 Things to Do in Oregon Coast, OR | TripAdvisor. Click on the "Things to Do" link on the green bar, top of the page for each city. If you get overwhellmed, just sit and watch the sunset.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

The sea lion cave attraction is very interesting.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

I've made this recommendation to someone from Vancouver before. If you plan to go out to Astoria on your way south, I'd recommend coming across West on SR20 and taking the ferry from Coupeville (Whidbey Island) to Port Townsend. The ferry isn't cheap, but you save a lot of miles by not going all the way south to Portland and then back north again, following the Clumbia, to Astoria.

If you're planning on visiting Seattle, you could do it on the way back.

Another place I'd suggest visiting is the Astoria Air Museum. It's housed in what was a WW2 US Navy airship hangar. They have an interesting collection of airplnes, most of the flyable, but to me, the building was the big draw. It almost 200' high at the peak of the roof, about 300' wide at floor level and (apart from the structure supporting the doors) is entirely made of wood and without any inside support pillars.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #12

Only the tourists go to Mo's. the place is a dump and the food is mediocre at best. North coast, try Dorys cove. Central coast is Chowder bowl at Nye Beach. Any of the Oregon state parks will be great. Also the county park at Winchester bay, Winchester bay rv is one fantastic place for scenery. Want to do some crabbing? Netarts bay RV is also a good place for scenery.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #13

I live in oregon, the coast is nice to take in all along HWY 101.. As far as a RV park the only one ive stayed at is McKinley RV park in waldport! Nice place to rent a spot, full hookups! Not alot there but north up 101 about 15 miles is Newport where there is plenty of shops and great dinning!
2003 Nuwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I've made this recommendation to someone from Vancouver before. If you plan to go out to Astoria on your way south, I'd recommend coming across West on SR20 and taking the ferry from Coupeville (Whidbey Island) to Port Townsend. The ferry isn't cheap, but you save a lot of miles by not going all the way south to Portland and then back north again, following the Clumbia, to Astoria.

Another option is to turn west at Olympia and head to the coast there. You could stay at Cape Disappointment or any number of other places in the Long Beach area and then cross the bridge to Astoria.

Once the weather gets a bit worse, the ferry crossing from Whidbey to Port Townsend gets iffy. It gets cancelled frequently in stormy weather.

We did this route last month and it was not at all difficult. We were two rigs, an F-250 with a 24' 5er and my 38' DP with a tow vehicle on a dolly.

Tags
rving