Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
chickie: Hi from Tucson. Re: whether to go to Alaska with or without a caravan, so much depends on how you prefer to travel. We can tell you how we feel, but just because we chose one method doesn't make it right for everyone. We (my wife Lynette and I) greatly prefer traveling separately since we absolutely do not like touring according to some fixed, rather inflexible schedule...AND...in the case of Alaska, I think you'll likely want to stay at some places longer and leave other places sooner. If you are a part of a caravan, your trip is rather strictly controlled. Now...there are some things certain folks would like about a caravan, primarily securing all campground sites and perhaps other features, however, to us at least, there is NOTHING a caravan can provide that you can't do yourselves quite easily...even in Alaska. Remember, this is just OUR opinion and not necessarily correct for you. Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #30

Chickie,

We started out travelling by ourselves, then occasionally linked up with other RVers on the way to do a stretch of road. For a while, we traveled with my BIL and his DW and later another couple. It worked out well with the hand held radios. Not only was it fun, but when one of the rigs had mechanical problems, he had backup if he needed it. This year, so far, we are leaving here on April 13, with a stop in IN. Starting out on our own, we would like to travel with others who drive about our speed (we tend to travel moderately slowly and are distracted by sights and photo ops along the way).
Full Moon Over Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are also thinking about a trip yo Alaska this summer. Our big problem is we don't know if we should go alone or go by caravan. Any comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chickie...my in-laws went by themselves..and talked to other RVers along the way to get some ideas. Make sure you get the Milepost book also

Good Luck and have fun!!

Mm

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
G'Morning chickie: I think you'll find that as you head to Alaska, especially once you're on the Alaska Hwy, you'll very likely find yourself informally hooking up with another couple or two who are moving along like you and are often stopping in the same campground. We often hooked up for a week or so with other folks, stopping together, talking on the CB as we traveled, taking side trips or local tours together, etc. Sometimes one couple would break off to go somewhere, and we'd encounter another couple and move together. Sure met some nice folks that way and had alot of fun with them and still had the flexibility to go when and where we wanted. Sure wish we were going again this summer. Reading this thread REALLY draws us back to recall our wonderful trip to the Yukon and Alaska. Have a GREAT TRIP !!! Steve & Lynette
Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #33

Steve and Lynette:

Did you encounter many families traveling to Alaska? My kids would probably enjoy meeting up with other children on the road.

They are not terribly excited about Alaska, because it's so far from friends and family.

Amy

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
amy: Sorry for delay...lost track of this thread. Anyway, re: ..."encountering many families traveling to Alaska"...., ya, know, I guess it might be a "tunnel vision" kind of thing, but, we really can't recall encountering , or we just didn't notice, many families other than what always seemed to be "locals" who were out and about with their families. As we think about it, however, there always seemed to be a number of family appearing set ups with families in all the campgounds we stayed at (except one/over 55). Hope someone else can give you a better picture of families exploring Alaska together. Heck, as long as ya'll get to see everything ya want to see, LET THE KIDS...."TELL YA WERE TO GO" EACH DAY!!! Steve & Lynette
Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #35

Ebsea: Maybe the train mention is the one that runs from Portage to Whittier. It's not too far south of Anchorage. It's been a while but you would load on the train at Whittier and run a short distance through a tunnel to Whittier.
The "Milepost" may be the most important part of running around up there. I've been gone since '87 with 2 couple of short trips back so I could be just blowing smoke though. lol
My SIL and DH are going up next summer for 3/4 months and I may just run away from home and follow them around.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #36

Lots of good information here! I asked on another thread...but will see if you all have insights while I'm here.

Any trouble with cel phone reception when you made your trip(s) to Alaska?
How about satellite TV or air-card reception?
Just curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #37

Cell phone reception is good in most places in Alaska, unless you're way out, like on the haul road to Prudhoe Bay....but, Verizon is spotty. At&t and Sprint are good.

Satellite TV is a problem, because of the physical location.

The train to Whittier is no longer running, because there is now a road to Whittier, so you can drive there! Whittier is a neat little town and worth the trip.
ernestine sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Bludog: Hello. Ya know, we use Verizon, both for our cell phones, and, also have Verizon National Access (PMCI card....er...whatever ya call it), and, we experienced amazingly good connections throughout our Yukon/Alaska wanderings, although, when in the Yukon (Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson City, etc.) it WAS less certain. We were VERY surprized by the frequency with which we'd be able to get on line with National Access, and how often our cell phones actually worked. In fact, I was often posting Alaska travel info on the Escapee Forum site throughout our trip (you can go to that site to actually see how often and from where we'd make posts !!) Yes, our dome satellite did not pick up Direct TV way up North, but we never watched much, if any TV anyway. Steve & Lynette
Old 03-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #39

Thank you Ernestine and Chickadee
I also learned that if I opt for Verizon's 'international' pkg, it will offset roaming costs during our travels.
Can't wait til it warms up a bit.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">once you're on the Alaska Hwy, you'll very likely find yourself informally hooking up with another couple or two who are moving along like you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was stationed at Ft Richardson, Ak 78-81. Back then if you saw anybody, it was considered a traffic jam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Any trouble with cel phone reception when you made your trip(s) to Alaska?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I went back in 2000, verizon cell coverage was better there than in some lower 48 places. Would hope it's even better now.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #41

Twenty five days and we are ON OUR WAY!!!!
Full Moon Over Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Full Moon... GO GET EM!! Have a WONDERFUL TRIP!! Steve & Lynette