Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #1

RV's in California

Took a flight/rental car trip to California.

I couldn't help but notice the lack of RV's moving not he road. Lots in Malibu that looked like they were being lived out of on the side of the street. It's no wonder when a looked up a house and they wanted to RENT it for $45,000/month. I didn't mistype that BTW.

Beautiful state but how anyone affords to live there is beyond me.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Took a flight/rental car trip to California.

I couldn't help but notice the lack of RV's moving not he road. Lots in Malibu that looked like they were being lived out of on the side of the street. It's no wonder when a looked up a house and they wanted to RENT it for $45,000/month. I didn't mistype that BTW.

Beautiful state but how anyone affords to live there is beyond me.
Malibu is one of the most expensive areas, so that's not shocking. However if you spend some time traveling up and down the state, it's a very diverse state, with all kinds of microclimates. You can surf in the morning, and go snow skiing in the afternoon. I live near the beach in Orange County, but in just an hour or so I can be out in the desert, or up in the snow.

It also happens to have an excellent climate, especially near the coast, which is why many folks do end up here living in old beat-up motorhomes. Many live near me, down at the State Beach. They park in there during the day, and then move out at night because camping isn't allowed. They don't bother me. I gained quite a bit of compassion for homeless folks after I came across my high school quarterback living on the streets many years ago. They all have stories and reasons.

But if you only traveled around in LA county, you only saw a very tiny slice of the state, and not the best slice, in my opinion. I'm born here and probably will die here, and despite its issues, I love it.

More to your point, I think most RVs avoid LA County. It's congested, and there's really no place that's a destination for a large RV in LA County.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 09:33 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
California certainly has its issues, but there is pretty much nowhere in the country that has its weather. Not too many places you can live near the shore without humidity or freezing weather in the winter.

Living in California is pricey, but Malibu is certainly NOT representative of the pricing. Wages are typically higher in California, so it evens out to a certain degree.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 10:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keith...Obviously you didn't know we are all millionaires out here.

All those orchards you see...they are money trees and we go pick as much as we want.

Life is good!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Keith...Obviously you didn't know we are all millionaires out here.

All those orchards you see...they are money trees and we go pick as much as we want.

Life is good!
I do think that California may be one of the most beautiful states in our country.

I also think I know what the attraction is, but only time will tell. With everything that goes on over there, the fact that it remains as popular as it is gives me the impression that those who live there are die hards and will be there to the end.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #6

Pretty much. I wanted to move out east to live in Jersey or Penn so I can experience NYC, but...that winter! And that commute to anything fun.

Same story down south in Florida. Sounds great in winter. But just imagining the summer makes me want to die.

And it's just going to get worse for all those folks in the next 20-30 years. I can't imagine attempting to start a family and life anywhere in the southern united states with our climate outlook, it's very tragic. The next decades are going to upend our sociopolitical and economic status quos like perhaps nothing has since the Gold Rush

Yeah. I'll stay here despite the problems and keep putting down roots in preparation for "the exodus"
Gelato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
California certainly has its issues, but there is pretty much nowhere in the country that has its weather. Not too many places you can live near the shore without humidity or freezing weather in the winter.

Living in California is pricey, but Malibu is certainly NOT representative of the pricing. Wages are typically higher in California, so it evens out to a certain degree.
That and no hurricanes or tornadoes.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
That and no hurricanes or tornadoes.
California has no hurricanes or tornados, but it has serious issues with earthquakes. There is no area that I know of that doesn't have some type of natural disaster from time to time.

It is true that Florida has hot summers, but guess what, we have wheels on our RV! We use them to spend our summers in the north, and I am writing this from Northern Michigan where today's high will be 73 degrees.

If you are interested in a comparison between California living and Florida living, watch this.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #9

I hear folks complain that FL is so hot in the summer. We've lived in middle FL near Titusville for the last 3 years and we moved here from Nashville, TN.

I'll take the FL summers over the Nashville summers any day. It's often 10 degrees cooler here than Nashville, always lower humidity and we almost always have a nice cool ocean breeze blowing.

You can see a hurricane coming for weeks in advance and plan accordingly. Not sure how much warning you get for a wildfire, earthquake or volcano.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Malibu is one of the most expensive areas, so that's not shocking. However if you spend some time traveling up and down the state, it's a very diverse state, with all kinds of microclimates. You can surf in the morning, and go snow skiing in the afternoon. I live near the beach in Orange County, but in just an hour or so I can be out in the desert, or up in the snow.

It also happens to have an excellent climate, especially near the coast, which is why many folks do end up here living in old beat-up motorhomes. Many live near me, down at the State Beach. They park in there during the day, and then move out at night because camping isn't allowed. They don't bother me. I gained quite a bit of compassion for homeless folks after I came across my high school quarterback living on the streets many years ago. They all have stories and reasons.

But if you only traveled around in LA county, you only saw a very tiny slice of the state, and not the best slice, in my opinion. I'm born here and probably will die here, and despite its issues, I love it.

More to your point, I think most RVs avoid LA County. It's congested, and there's really no place that's a destination for a large RV in LA County.

TO be clear - I am making no political statements about the state.

We landed in LA - Went to see some Sequoias, made our way north to Yosemite, Headed West to SanFran and saw the John Muir Redwoods and Alcatraz, then back the PCH to LA.

Very beautiful state! I hope they get some rain though!

It surprised me not to see more MH's toward Yosemite but maybe there aren't many RV parks. Probably one of my favorite national parks and we have been to quite a few.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
TO be clear - I am making no political statements about the state.

We landed in LA - Went to see some Sequoias, made our way north to Yosemite, Headed West to SanFran and saw the John Muir Redwoods and Alcatraz, then back the PCH to LA.

Very beautiful state! I hope they get some rain though!

It surprised me not to see more MH's toward Yosemite but maybe there aren't many RV parks. Probably one of my favorite national parks and we have been to quite a few.
I wasn't taking your post as a political post at all, and that sounds like a great trip! Yosemite is one place I've never been to, and I need to try to do that. Yeah we need rain bad. I haven't been through the San Joaquin Valley in about 5 years, but it was all brown and dusty last time.

When I was younger I used to drive up and down PCH from Orange County to San Francisco quite a bit. Just a wonderful drive.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Lots of rv parks and great scenery as you drive outside Malibu and heavy populated metropolitan areas. We camp up and down California along the coast, wine country, gold country in the foothills, central valley (delta), mountains and palm desert where we can pick and choose crowds, weather, scenery, etc. We are currently camped along the Sacramento river at Delta Marina RV Resort for $60/night, But don't tell anyone since we like the price, blue sky, comfortably warm at 75 F with a cool breeze with safe bicycling and good resturaunts close by, terrific view of the river and music and activities close by by walking or biking.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
California has no hurricanes or tornados, but it has serious issues with earthquakes.
Wildfires are more of an issue.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Wildfires are more of an issue.
I see you have a Mariposa, CA address. You were right in the heart of two major fires. Hope you escaped damage.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
california, rvs