Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #29

Tank!

If people learn anything it will be how not to blow their money!!

But then again there are more people with money than brains!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 04:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Interesting thread. As someone that has a new HM on order, it’s due to our dealer late April now due to a closure, I hope the industry doesn’t tank. Not too happy to see a possible influx of used MH hitting the market soon impacting values, but we ordered what we wanted, exactly how we wanted it and we don’t intend on selling/trading it in for years, so I think we’ll be fine.

My biggest concern right now, at least around the MH, is where will we be able to take it this summer. We have two trips planned, one over Memorial Day and the other in August. I’m afraid Memorial Day isn’t going to happen due to the park not being open. By August, I think we’ll be mostly back to normal, at least I hope that’s the case.
This sounds just like our situation with our ordered coach due May 20. We have reservations for a trip in Mid June, but with the plant shutdown, this trip will probably be delayed. We have no plans to cancel this purchase due to the virus, but will have to be flexible as things evolve.
We're recently retired, kids are gone, no grandkids yet, so this is our time to enjoy traveling. It's easy to get depressed about this current situation, but things will return to normal at some point.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post

I agree. If this lasts for any amount of time the economy will not recover quickly at all.

Just my opinion.

Terry
The president said to expect 12-14 year recovery period. My EWAG is 20 years.
I keep thinking of who the U.S. borrowed that $2 trillion from. Here is a partial breakdown of where it's going.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The president said to expect 12-14 year recovery period. My EWAG is 20 years.
I keep thinking of who the U.S. borrowed that $2 trillion from. Here is a partial breakdown of where it's going.
Some segments may get back on their feet sooner. Some may disappear altogether, to be replaced by something else down the road. Hopefully there will also be some growth areas here in the US that come from this. Time will tell.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
As a RVer wannabe, this has been an interesting thread to follow. My wife and I cruised SW Texas in a rental car staying in VRBO-type accommodations in January. We got interested in all the RVs we saw and wondered about taking the plunge. I’ve been watching this site since to learn from y’all. Of course, my telephoto lens into the future is a little blurry, but I expect we will see a slow recovery and that some manufacturers will have to close. I expect to see a buyer’s market for both new and used units for some time.

As cruising boaters for many years in the Pacific Northwest, I see many parallels between the boating and RV markets. As many boomers, like us, are graying-out of our watery ways, we find that the market for the boats of our lifestyle is evaporating; younger people are simply not following our recreational paths. The “superyacht” market (120’+) remains strong but sales in more affordable classes are dwindling. New builds are down except for some niche markets (i.e. Ranger Tugs). I expect the economic downturn will only exacerbate this trend.

I wonder if our kids, many living in the gig economy, share more uncertainty about their economic futures, but also the global futures of energy use and consequences. However, there are places I want to explore and maybe a small RV is the most accessible way to do it. Maybe I’ll see you down the road sometime in the near future. Thanks for all the good info I’m gleaning from this forum!

-Doug

I agree that it's likely to be a buyers market for most of the RV industry. It is possible that more millennials head towards the affordable RV's. My wife and I plan to spend around 100k on a used DP. So far I've delayed my retirement to see what happens after we get a handle on the CV.
Again, welcome to the forum!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #34

Don't forget that most all the materials used to build and RV comes from China.

That's why they are so cheaply made.

How long will that be allowed to happen and what will that market do when us citizens require North American materials, prices will have to rise, transition time it'll take until resupplying can happen etc?
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a saying: "Please Lord let there be another boom. I promise not to piss it away this time".

Having gone through several bust and boom cycles it has been my observation that the memories of people is very short. The same can be said for forward planning!

If they have money they will spend it.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #36

Reading that new RV'rs read this sight reminds me of my first purchase which comes with a warning. I purchased my first TT from a family dealer that had some shady practices. The week I bought, the owner was killed in a traffic accident. I (not knowing better) bundled the sales tax into the financing at the suggestion of the salesman; who was the son. They were going to get my purchase all registered for me which I thought was so nice.

The dealer ship was given the sales tax funds by the bank. They closed up after the death of the father/owner taking my tax and registration money with them. And, I found out my TT was on three different floorplans. My title actually came from a bank that I did not know was in the deal. They were forced to forfeit by some anti fraud law.

So the warning in these times is to make sure you are not duped by a smaller dealer that may be on the verge of going out of business due to these times.
A Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #37

May 1st: Lots of For Sale signs.
June 1st: “Price Reduced, Make Offer”
July 1st: “Must Sell, Any Reasonable Offer”
September 1st: Repo Lot
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #38

I don't see in the distant future that RV'ers are going out and spend 200K on a nice rig. I was born in a trailer n 1934 and have over 400K miles under my belt.just before the pandemic, I did see a high demand for older good coaches under 30 feet. Perhaps the national parks rule or people just wanted to get away from the larger coaches. It will take until this time next year for the economy to stabilize. I live in Biloxi, MS and my personal plans are a nice trip in October to take some advantage of fuel prices. The RV industry is huge with over 37 billion nation wide in all arenas.. It was really born in the great depression and it will never go away just adjust to the economic times and the wander lust of us campers.
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #39

Do you think this will drive the price of RV’s down? Will it be a buyers market?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Interesting thread. As someone that has a new HM on order, it’s due to our dealer late April now due to a closure, I hope the industry doesn’t tank. Not too happy to see a possible influx of used MH hitting the market soon impacting values, but we ordered what we wanted, exactly how we wanted it and we don’t intend on selling/trading it in for years, so I think we’ll be fine.

My biggest concern right now, at least around the MH, is where will we be able to take it this summer. We have two trips planned, one over Memorial Day and the other in August. I’m afraid Memorial Day isn’t going to happen due to the park not being open. By August, I think we’ll be mostly back to normal, at least I hope that’s the case.
Just a FYI here. I talked to a private park owner about a reservation around Labor Day and shared my concern about things opening up sooner rather than later. The lady said that if they can't open for most of the summer they will be out of business. I hope and pray this ends very soon for all concerned.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #41

The populace has short memories. As soon as the pain is gone.... we'll/they'll repeat the same mistakes.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Economy Recovery

I suspect the economy will recover quickly in some energy , financial and business sectors. RV new sales won't be a big player. The RV camping sites are already short in supply and over priced in many high volume vacation and entertainment destinations. The hospitality and amusement industry will have huge family discounts to attract $$$ , gas prices will return to 3.00 a gal as Oil production will be reduced to increase revenues to Oil Dependent Countries.
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs