Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Rv's in high demand after pandemic?

I'm wondering if once North America gets past the worst of the pandemic that RVing will be the highly preferred method of vacation and travel?

People may be fearful to travel in planes and cruise ships or mass transit in general, not to mention avoiding foreign countries. At least until everyone gets over the fear, financial hit and until there's a vaccine, maybe they'll want the isolation safety of an RV.

For those wanting to sell their RV's, maybe there will be a high demand for them especially with the RV manufacturers shutting down production and possibly not being able to stay in business.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #2

I think the opposite will happen. First if the economy tanks, which is likely, people will not be buying RVs, or taking vacations for that matter. Those who do still travel and previously did so by plane will most likely continue to do so. Vacationers are usually going somewhere there will be crowds anyway so being in an airplane won’t be a big difference.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

I agree. If this lasts for any amount of time the economy will not recover quickly at all.

Just my opinion.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the economy will eventually recover. When? Anybody's guess right now. Will RVs be in high demand? Quite the opposite I think. Anyone with a mortgage or other debt for autos or RVs is going to have a hard time until everyone gets back to work. Might be a lot of repos or liquidation sales flooding the market in the next 90 - 120 days. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:16 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
The RV lifestyle was on the decline before this all happened. The younger and rising generations tend to favor Class B units for quick getaways and not so much extended stays.

There will always be some demand for larger rigs for the fulltime group, but not as many as we Boomers generated. Sadly, our generation is predicted to be the most at risk, so the RV demand may decline a little faster than we all originally thought.

The economy will bounce back. My personal prediction says that the historic timelines for recovery will be compressed and things will be back in just over half of the time normally associated with corrections or recessions. Give it three or four years.

Hope you weather this storm well and we can all get back out on the road soon.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Given the unprecedented money going into the economy, world wide, to prop it up, if the self-quarantine is over in 90 days or less, I think the recovery will start very quickly. People will have money and time to spend it.

But it will take a while because we are providing over 9 months of unemployment. That group won't rejoin the workforce until that benefit ends.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #7

A year after 9-11, I asked my local dealer about business, and he said they had record sales. His thought was the same as irishguy; that many people were not traveling overseas and bought new RV's to remain here during their vacations. Whether the same thing happens after the pandemic depends on how fast the economy recovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
I'm wondering if once North America gets past the worst of the pandemic that RVing will be the highly preferred method of vacation and travel?

People may be fearful to travel in planes and cruise ships or mass transit in general, not to mention avoiding foreign countries. At least until everyone gets over the fear, financial hit and until there's a vaccine, maybe they'll want the isolation safety of an RV.

For those wanting to sell their RV's, maybe there will be a high demand for them especially with the RV manufacturers shutting down production and possibly not being able to stay in business.

irishguy
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Given the unprecedented money going into the economy, world wide, to prop it up, if the self-quarantine is over in 90 days or less, I think the recovery will start very quickly. People will have money and time to spend it.

But it will take a while because we are providing over 9 months of unemployment. That group won't rejoin the workforce until that benefit ends.
Not if they don't have a job I don't think people are going to buy things like rvs they wont have any extra money
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Once we get past all this (and I sure we will), life will pretty much go back to the way it was before any of this happened. A person's nature does not change. He may alter his ways for a bit, but his "nature" remains the same. People will go back to doing what they are most comfortable with.

Remember this one! It has not changed, it's still true:

A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on the frog's back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung the frog despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."
Old 03-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post

I wonder how many people will actually have money 90 days from now. With all the deferments being out there on making payments it would be easy for those that aren't savvy on budgeting money to have spent what they have in hand and when the taxes and other bills come along they will stand there long faced and wonder how to pay them.
We are doing our best to live the same lifestyle and schedule as we're used to. If we get a windfall from the Government we will use it wisely so it can help serve it's intended purpose, jump starting the economy.
Lynn
Old 03-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

I agree. I don't see a lot of folks with extra money any time in the next year or so. Both parties agreed to pump in lots of money initially but I think next time around there will be much more concern as to who gets what. Between the bailout and the Fed actions, it will be hard to justify giving more $ to businesses and there is rarely bi-partisan support for payments directly to individuals or safety net programs.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I don't see where it will impact the majority of us; especially those of us that have sufficient income in retirement, when combined with work kamping, to meet our needs. I'm not FT, not even PT but I like to travel and will take several vacations when everything settles down. I've already missed 2 trips I had planned.

Enjoy the day and Drive safe - Richard
Old 03-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #13

Economy notwithstanding, I know of 2 full timers personally that are now looking to get back into a S&B. No room to have any supplies or food beyond 1 week as well as the uncertainty of parks closing are the driving factors. Without getting into the weeds of that mess I definitely see full timing dropping but could also see the vacationing weekenders possibly picking up. Time will tell.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A lot of those traveling in the past were boomers. Our savings, if invested in the stock market, have taken a heavy hit and only HE knows when it will recover. I don't intend to spend any of my cash reserves, forcing me to withdraw from deflated stock prices, on optional things like travel.

I will curtail all unnecessary expenses until such time as my savings are at least headed in the direction they were previously at. I suspect that many boomers will take a similar approach.

Tags
rvs