Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
?'s about driving RV's in high winds

When driving down an interstate highway with high winds from the side, would it help dispel the wind pressure by driving with your windows open?

And what would be the best speed to drive at?

Could the wind actually blow your RV over on its side?

Any other tips other than just not driving?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Well high winds is a variable speed.

One of the bridges we cross often has fairly high winds that you can feel push you around a bit. On the other hand I was in Colorado Springs a few years ago and high winds had about 2 dozen semi trucks laying on their side along the highway over a few mile stretch.

Reducing speed is will always create a larger safety margin for you.

Opening windows will only help if it allows enough wind to pass directly though the RV. If you do that in high winds while traveling down the road, make sure everything is well secured.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

I understand the logic of opening up the windows to try to disperse some of the pressure, but frankly I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would make that much difference, and it would just make the noise level much higher, making a nervous situation even worse. You might even lose your screens or cause damage to the windows.

Yes you can tip over, and I'd far rather pull over and wait for it to pass, than risk it when it's really buffeting you around. After all, you've got all the amenities of home with you, why not just relax and enjoy life, rather than risking it?

But it's up to you. Recently I came down 62 through Yucca Valley, where it's almost always windy. I was being buffeted pretty good, but it didn't bother me so I just kept going. I also keep an eye out to see if truckers are pulling over or not. Also try not to oversteer. Keep firm hands on the wheel and just correct it only enough to stay in the lane
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
When driving down an interstate highway with high winds from the side, would it help dispel the wind pressure by driving with your windows open?
Absolutely not. Makes it worse. IMO, by observation.

Quote:
And what would be the best speed to drive at?
Depends on wind speed. I slow down at the first hint of wind wobble.

Quote:
Could the wind actually blow your RV over on its side?
Yes, I've seen it happen to RVs while on the freeway. Also observed vehicles tilting onto the wheels on one side.

Quote:
Any other tips other than just not driving?
Yes, when the wind is blowing STRONG from any direction except the rear, just slow down.

One thing I added to my RV that made it much less susceptible to wind buffeting was adding V-Spoilers, another brand is AirTabs. Or Vortextabs I think. Amazon, eBay carry them. Really worked to reduce any wind wobble.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I understand the logic of opening up the windows to try to disperse some of the pressure, but frankly I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would make that much difference, and it would just make the noise level much higher, making a nervous situation even worse. You might even lose your screens or cause damage to the windows.

Yes you can tip over, and I'd far rather pull over and wait for it to pass, than risk it when it's really buffeting you around. After all, you've got all the amenities of home with you, why not just relax and enjoy life, rather than risking it?

But it's up to you. Recently I came down 62 through Yucca Valley, where it's almost always windy. I was being buffeted pretty good, but it didn't bother me so I just kept going. I also keep an eye out to see if truckers are pulling over or not. Also try not to oversteer. Keep firm hands on the wheel and just correct it only enough to stay in the lane
The above is the perfect answer to your question. Use common sense and pull over if you're getting uncomfortable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my years and miles as a tour bus (motorcoach) driver, I've learned to tolerate the winds--from any direction. Sideways is the worst as far as driver fatigue.
My suggestions: DON'T drive with windows down. That destroys any of the aerodynamics that the vehicle might have. Try and relax your grip on the steering wheel. Seems like the more you fight it the more it fights back. YES, wind can definitely flip any high-profile vehicle, especially a sideways wind. Likewise, high wind can be dangerous to nearby automobiles AND to you, by blowing one into your path. Stay safe and good luck.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #7

High Winds.......that is sustained winds above 40mph

Pull over and wait

Otherwise you could be blown off roadway over worst...blown over
*Opening windows will only cause inside of rv to get dirty
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
[B]...

One thing I added to my RV that made it much less susceptible to wind buffeting was adding V-Spoilers, another brand is AirTabs. Or Vortextabs I think. Amazon, eBay carry them. Really worked to reduce any wind wobble.

Jim,
Do you have them just on the rear of the coach? I wouldn't mind trying them. Makes sense.

Guy
Old 06-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Jim,
Do you have them just on the rear of the coach? I wouldn't mind trying them. Makes sense.

Guy
Yes, just on the rear on both sides and the roof. Tests have shown that the only other place on an RV that helps any is the leading edge of any wheel wells. That prevents the wells from become a cup-like wind scoop. But putting some tabs there could present an appearance negative with just a slight benefit.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
High Winds.......that is sustained winds above 40mph

Pull over and wait

this is what I would do, but I'm retired so......

2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I could not find them on Amazon. Anywhere else?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #12

If you have comfort steer or some version of it crank up the resistance. If you have cranked up all the way and you’re still getting tossed around it’s time to pull over.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Safe-T bar helps a bit, but when winds are over MPH or so we pull off and wait it out.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

It’s not the sustained wind that is the most trouble…..it is the gusts.

Gusts are completely unpredictable, and can be triple or more what the sustained wind speed is.

The trouble with the gusts are you are driving along pretty relaxed….then it hits hard, and you are tempted to jerk the wheel to stay in your lane…..then it quickly subsides, and many driver’s are too slow to react, and then you have steered into a guard rail, the big truck next to you, or ??? Bad news for sure! The other danger out west is the wind blown dust can cause complete “brown outs” where the visibility drops to near zero.

Anytime there is a wind advisory from the weather service plan to get where you are going before it starts, or else skip that travel day and stay put.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs, wind