Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We have a very sophisticated security system in our home, with central-station monitoring, along with outside cameras. We also have neighbors across the road that watch our house when we are away!
What you say describes our security system too. We also have a couple of neighbors who, like us, are retired and around most of the time. We all watch out for each other.

Our little town's PD has a "vacation watch" program. They will keep an eye on houses while folks are out of town. Not sure this would be practical in a bigger town.

Side story: I answered our Ring doorbell while I was 300 miles out of town. Guy said one of our sprinkler pipes was broken. I told him thanks and I would handle. I could see the gusher from one of the other outside cameras. I knew it would stop after 10 minutes. Called a friend who came by and shut that zone down. Fixed it when I got home.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
When we are away, my own automation has the lights in the house come on one at a time shortly after the driveway alert goes off to give the impression someone is reacting to hearing the alert. When we arrive home from a trip after dark, the effect is startling even when you know itís going to happen. I like to think anyone entering the property with bad intent would imagine someone fetching their shotgun after being awakened by the intrusion and looking out to see whatís happening. The outside lights on the front of the house come on immediately for driveway traffic at night all of the time.
Very cool. I should look into that kind of system.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:04 AM   #17

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Is your driveway a local short cut? Sounds like the range sensitivity needs to be corrected.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Is your driveway a local short cut? Sounds like the range sensitivity needs to be corrected.
They come on only when someone is in my driveway. Us coming home or people visiting us.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #19

Our driveway is a dead end, and is posted dead end, no trespassing. The homes in our subdivision are dispersed, most on 5 acres. My driveway is about 300 yards and can’t be seen by neighbors. Anybody entering either has our permission or has bad intent.

Wondering whether we should install a solar powered alert camera on a tree near the entry to the driveway. Don’t know if there is something that will work because it’s outside the range of WiFi. Liking the idea of linking electronically to lihgts in the home.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Our driveway is a dead end, and is posted dead end, no trespassing. The homes in our subdivision are dispersed, most on 5 acres. My driveway is about 300 yards and canít be seen by neighbors. Anybody entering either has our permission or has bad intent.

Wondering whether we should install a solar powered alert camera on a tree near the entry to the driveway. Donít know if there is something that will work because itís outside the range of WiFi. Liking the idea of linking electronically to lihgts in the home.

What about an electric gate that would open and close to allow access to the driveway? Sounds like you have the perfect situation for one. Most of them work on solar, so no need for electric at the gate. Punch in a code and you are in or out.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Our system is similar to jkwilson’s except we self monitor it. If someone came inside the house the interior alarm would also deafen them! We have perimeter detection and motion sensors we activate when we are away. We don’t turn lights off and on. If someone is watching your house, those things won’t foil them. We do have lawn care/snow removal all the time too.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #22

We have our front porch light auto on at sunset and off at sunrise. I have a Lorex 8 camera outside security system that keeps recordings for 5 days and alerts via text when motion is detected. Motion detection on these camera's is adjustable and I'm still adjusting to get best results. We also have a Ring door bell but does not keep recordings. Our neighbors know we're gone and we communicate with them periodically.

I have a free app called Alfred that uses an old cell phone camera that records motion and alerts via text msg when motion is detected. We have 2 inside the house.

We have 4 Kasa plugs with lights plugged in that auto on at various times. I can vary the control via my cell phone.

The Lorex camera's picked up a police car driving up our drive way and sitting in the parking area for about 15 seconds before leaving. We learned later from neighbors that there was a attempted burglary in the area. To my knowledge the local police did not know we were not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Snip
I could see the gusher from one of the other outside cameras. I knew it would stop after 10 minutes. Called a friend who came by and shut that zone down. Fixed it when I got home.
My irrigation controller connects to the internet and I can control all aspects of the irrigation system from my phone. My outside camera's can view my sprinkler system too.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #23

I have the Simple safe system along with the Ring door bell camera. We tell our neighbors when we are gone and for how long. I also put the mail on hold (this is only allowed for 30 days), so son and/or daughter will pick-up if needed.

I also use timers on lamps to turn on and off at set times. We also turn the water off at the meter, unplug the water softener, turn the water heater to vacation mode and turn the ice maker off on the fridge. The furnace and A/C is turned off in the summer months. If we go away in the winter months, the furnace is set to 55F. The Simple Safe system does monitor the ambient inside temps so, I will know if the inside temps fall below 55 F in the winter.

I also have a monitoring device that State Farm Ins co, has provided called "Ting". This monitors your electrical circuit in the home looking for issue with the your electrical system. This third party APT will notify you of any electrical faults from the transformer to your circuits in the house. According to State Farm this is to prevent electrical fires. So far this has worked.

Another thing, I will call my bank and credit card holders notifying them we will be traveling and where we are going. This is so, the credit cards can be used out of state say if we are in FL or UT. I have had my gas card rejected once before I started doing this, I had to call the bank and confirm I was using the card out of my normal traveling area.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Our driveway is a dead end, and is posted dead end, no trespassing. The homes in our subdivision are dispersed, most on 5 acres. My driveway is about 300 yards and canít be seen by neighbors. Anybody entering either has our permission or has bad intent.

Wondering whether we should install a solar powered alert camera on a tree near the entry to the driveway. Donít know if there is something that will work because itís outside the range of WiFi. Liking the idea of linking electronically to lihgts in the home.
I used a Dakota Alert long range driveway alarm that uses an magnetometer to detect vehicles. I didn't want false alarms. We've gotten one false alarm since we installed it, and that was from a very close lightning strike. The clap woke us up before the chime from the alarm. I chose the DCPA-4K Plus because it has outputs on the base station to connect with the alarm system. The driveway alarm connection isn't monitored by the monitoring service, but I still get an alert on my phone. Integration with other automation is pretty easy too.

So far it's been really handy to avoid having the mail carrier catch me outside in my underwear saving a baby rabbit from the barn cat
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:50 PM   #25

Check with your insurance company to see what they require to continue your coverage during your travels , some coverage requirements can vary by season .
Old 08-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #26

Iíve had similar questions so Iím glad this thread was started. Iím less concerned with security and more concerned with safety issues - fire, water problems, falling trees. I have a smart thermostat (nest) which helps with the temperature issues. Was a life saver last winter when we were alerted that inside temps had unexpectedly dropped to a dangerous level. Called a plumber at midnight and got the problem handled before it became a major issue. This year weíll be draining the pipes.

Weíll be gone this winter for three months. Not quite sure how to handle the Mail? Most of it is junk as all of my bills come to me electronically and are on auto pay. Suggestions?
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:21 AM   #27

I have a non-monitored alarm with a very loud bell both inside and outside.
I have neighbors park in driveway.
I have neighbor put some of their trash at my drive every trash day.
Lights on controller 365 so acts the same if home or not.
Outside dusk to dawn porch lights.
Motion security floodlights in backyard.
Arlo security cameras.
Attack cats both inside and outside :-)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post

Weíll be gone this winter for three months. Not quite sure how to handle the Mail? Most of it is junk as all of my bills come to me electronically and are on auto pay. Suggestions?
The USPS will forward mail for up to 6 months. If you're not moving from place to place in the winter, you could have it sent to the campground. Contact the CG and see how they handle forwarded mail. I usually stop forwarding at least 2 to 3 weeks before I get home, because there could be that much lag time from our rural PO. I have them keep it at the PO during that time and I'll pick it up when I return.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote