Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

S&B Security

We are retired part timers. Interested in hearing from other part-timers on what they do to keep their homes secure while away. Our max time away (on one trip) this year will be 8 weeks. We already have security cams, but feel we need to do more. Please advise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

Cancel newspapers, have the grass cut, mail hold, tell the police ,neighbours, fam

https://faketv.com/
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
Community Moderator

S&B Security

A doorbell camera lets you see when people come up to the front door….you can even answer the door when they ring the bell.

I have had the ring.com before and now have the one from eufy.

Get a HVAC thermostat you can control from the internet….easy to check on the temperature and adjust if necessary.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

Good Neighbors.......

Watch out for each other

That is what a 'neighborhood' is about!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:01 AM   #5

I put a couple of lamps on timers set at different times. Not perfect but keeps the house from being all dark all the time. I vary my routine, so I have no routine, when I'm home. The RV not being parked under the pole barn doesn't mean I'm on a trip since I'll take and leave it at another place we have. Garage doors closed don't mean I'm gone.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #6

We turn off water, reset the thermostat, arrange for yard care and notify the neighbors. Take a quick video on all your stuff just in case. Keep your insurance paid up and quit worrying, it's only stuff.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

Get a house sitter.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

Have neighbors park a car in your driveway
Old 08-08-2021, 05:42 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Move to a rural area, chances of burglary drop 80%
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Inform local law enforcement of your travel plans. A great many will randomly check on your place while you are gone.

I don’t have neighbors, so I rely heavily on security systems; cameras, alarms, etc. I thought I was safe from society’s scum where I live, but I found out differently in 2016. I don’t take anything for granted any more, especially with the increase in the scum factor in recent years.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We lived in a dead end subdivision so relied on neighbors to keep an eye out. Also had lights on timer. Stopped mail and filled out additional cards for a friend to go get mail and have it stopped again.

We did have an issue with the city water department one time. I went and prepaid for 3 months, estimating what the bill would be and adding additional. Thought we were good since water consumption would be ZERO meaning no water or sewer, just garbage pick up. Got back and had notice of failure to pay yada yada yada. Went to check and the clerk said that when the meter reader saw we weren't using water they changed the meter thinking it was bad and then "estimated" what we would of used>>>>meaning that the amount we prepaid ran out the second month. I was p*&#!!! and when I complained said it was my fault for not notifying them even though when I prepaid I specifically told them we were going out of town. Took my grievance all the way to the city manage and only got partial refund of what they billed. Lesson learned, notice in writing!!!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldracerJim View Post
Move to a rural area, chances of burglary drop 80%
Nice try Jim. We’ve never been burglarized, UNTIL:
We moved to a rural area 7 years ago, thinking it would be safe. Home in Western NC mountains on 5 acre parcel. Last month attempted burglary at 3:30 am. They drove right up our long driveway and around the back of the house. Son living in our casita turned on lights and perps drove down steep hill through our landscaping and got trapped in trees. 4 hours later, good neighbor not knowing they were crooks, saw them and cut them out with his chainsaw. He saw assault shotgun and assault rifle in their backseat. My infrared cams got the license number. Still under investigation by sheriff. They believe it linked to meth and drug activities a few miles away. I guess no place is truly safe.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

We have a Ring alarm system. We get notified of smoke, fire, water, freezing temperatures, CO, entry to the house, vehicles entering our driveway and motion in our outbuildings. Emergency services will be automatically dispatched for smoke, fire, CO or entry to the home. Cameras and automatic exterior lights help us monitor things outside.

We have a 1/4 mile driveway, so neighbors would have to be outside to know anything was going on. When we are away, my own automation has the lights in the house come on one at a time shortly after the driveway alert goes off to give the impression someone is reacting to hearing the alert. When we arrive home from a trip after dark, the effect is startling even when you know it’s going to happen. I like to think anyone entering the property with bad intent would imagine someone fetching their shotgun after being awakened by the intrusion and looking out to see what’s happening. The outside lights on the front of the house come on immediately for driveway traffic at night all of the time.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have a very sophisticated security system in our home, with central-station monitoring, along with outside cameras. We also have neighbors across the road that watch our house when we are away!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote