Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #29

Hit the deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Nope, deer (horses, cows, other such sized animals) have a bad habit of bouncing up and coming through the windshield. Lost a co-workers wife that way as they were heading out early one morning on vacation.

Like said above, fixable but affordable? Sounds like your friend is doing the right thing.
The reason deer bounce up into the windshield is that the driver hits the brakes instead of the accelerator. When you use the brakes the nose of the vehicle goes down, deer hits windshield, when you see the accelerator the nose stays level or goes up, vehicle goes over deer.

Also never swerve to miss any animal at any speed over 30mph, it is too easy to lose control and end up worse off than hitting the critter.
RustNnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #30

Most people that are killed because a Deer came over the hood are in a car. RV's sit up to high for that to happen. Most times the Critter will bouce off or under the rig. May damage the rig some but REAL bad news for the Critter
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #31

Look for RV America in Loveland for repairs.They have a very large facility and have been honest in my dealings with them.They are at the Johnson Corner exit on I-25.I am taking my trailer in for roof repair(hail) in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #32

It's always amazes me that I can afford to buy something that others believe I would like to loan out. The "borrowers" never seem to have two dimes to rub together and can't understand why I don't like to share.

I have some toys that others don't and have seen how they treat them when they have borrowed. Sometimes dumb enough to show disregard for my stuff right in front of me.

I no longer care about "hurt feelings" (family or otherwise) when saying no. I also don't care if they say they will take full responsibilty for damages. Saying and collecting is two separate issues.

Also, sometime the damage caused isn't visible/noticeable until later and guess who is stuck fixing the problems created by the borrower.

I spell it out for everyone, I break, I fix, I pay. Nothing comes out of their pockets.
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #33

Dealer says it's totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Look for RV America in Loveland for repairs.They have a very large facility and have been honest in my dealings with them.They are at the Johnson Corner exit on I-25.I am taking my trailer in for roof repair(hail) in a couple of weeks.
Rich - I took it to RV America today on my lunch break (long lunch break!) They said it will be approx $15,000 to repair so it will be considered a total loss . NADA sure dropped in the (almost exactly) 12 months that we have owned it.

My kids will be upset because we had some great times in her. My wife and I are a little excited to get something a little newer with some of the features we were missing in our very first RV.

I will be sure to post about our search for a replacement and include pictures when we finally get it.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNHebb View Post
It's always amazes me that I can afford to buy something that others believe I would like to loan out. The "borrowers" never seem to have two dimes to rub together and can't understand why I don't like to share.

I have some toys that others don't and have seen how they treat them when they have borrowed. Sometimes dumb enough to show disregard for my stuff right in front of me.

I no longer care about "hurt feelings" (family or otherwise) when saying no. I also don't care if they say they will take full responsibilty for damages. Saying and collecting is two separate issues.

Also, sometime the damage caused isn't visible/noticeable until later and guess who is stuck fixing the problems created by the borrower.

I spell it out for everyone, I break, I fix, I pay. Nothing comes out of their pockets.
It took me a long time to come to the same realization. Way too many items that were borrowed from me were either lost, abused or broken upon return. I had a friend tell me once "Why should I buy it when I can borrow it from you? That totally opened my eyes. Therefore, I agree with you totally. I will not "lend out" my hard earned items anymore. I will gladly supply the potential borrower the yellow pages so they can look up rental services for what they want to borrow.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
When I was younger I borrowed my parents 22' Delta party machine all the time. They didn't mind, since it always came back in BETTER shape than when I took it. Usually because something would go bad (like a fresh water pump, 2 tires, propane regulator, 2 fan belts) when I was using it and I'd fix it. AND clean it up. They got top dollar for it BECAUSE I borrowed it.

Funny thing though, I'm not so fast to borrow MY stuff out!

And about hitting deer-- been there done that, in our '92 Winnie Brave, on the way to Yellowstone. Was towing my Goldwing on a trailer. We left Cokeville Wyoming after getting gas about 11 pm, and for the next 20 miles we almost hit 5 deer before getting one of two more that ran out in front of us. I was going about 50 mph, and started the left front tire skidding just about the point of impact. You can make out the deer just to the right of the sign, knocked him quite a ways...

Hit the thing in Wyoming, knocked it clear into Idaho. And as you can see, I didn't kill her, but she couldn't move A passerby took care of her...

Here's what it did--

The impact also knocked the other 2 headlights way outta whack. I spent nearly an hour just figuring out how to hold them in place and aim them good enough so I could drive! But we did make it to a campground not too far away.

Now, what I DID NOT DO was attempt to swerve and miss the thing! I just did the "oh CRAP" thing and stopped as fast as I could. The damage wasn't all that bad, mostly it just 'repositioned' the front cap. Had I swerved, it's likely I could've lost the Goldwing, or rolled the motorhome. Also, I vividly remember looking DOWN at the deer as we hit it. I don't know if it was even possible for it to somehow get high enough to hit the windshield.

Swerving to miss stuff, no matter WHAT you're driving, is a good way to lose control and cause substantial damage to yourself and others.

And finally, if I remember correctly, the repair bill to fix it was $2300... A far cry from $15,000!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Looks mostly cosmetic. If the frame area at the back bumper is not bent I would consider that if they try to total it (which they probably will) if it is a good solid coach buying it back from the insurance co. and fixing it myself. Only you know for sure what kind of shape it is really in.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #37

Bondad-good luck with your search!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #38

when i applied for my insurance the first two questions was does anyone else drive the m/h and will you be lending or renting it. the answer to both questions was an emphatic NO and i stick to it. sorry for your loss but there is no bad event if something is learned from it
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #39

A now deceased family member used to say he would loan a friend anything except two items. #1 his wife and #2 his motorhome.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #40

Call Rocky Mtn Cummins in Henderson CO. Ask for Smitty in service - he's been working on them for 20yrs. Awesome, honest and will tell you who you can trust to do the work correctly. Not just fix the cosmetic issues but make certain it's repaired correctly. Good luck
Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
That sure did not look like $15k worth of damage. I'd dump it back on the borrower and tell him, his insurance can fix it or replace it in kind.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote