Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Saddest time of the year

This weekend I just got finished putting our fifth wheel to bed for the winter. I do keep it pluged in to shore power because we usually need the extra fridge during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other then using the fridge all I can do now is look at it and wish spring will soon arrive. To add insult to injury-not only am I grounded from camping til spring, I'm sure I'll wind up shoveling snow during that time also. Can't wait until I can retire and join you lucky fulltimers that can just leave the bad weather behind. I didn't even get the hitch out of my truck yet and I already miss RVing. The good news is I already have reservations for spring so I can start counting the days til our first trip of 2012.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
This weekend I just got finished putting our fifth wheel to bed for the winter. I do keep it pluged in to shore power because we usually need the extra fridge during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Other then using the fridge all I can do now is look at it and wish spring will soon arrive. To add insult to injury-not only am I grounded from camping til spring, I'm sure I'll wind up shoveling snow during that time also. Can't wait until I can retire and join you lucky fulltimers that can just leave the bad weather behind. I didn't even get the hitch out of my truck yet and I already miss RVing. The good news is I already have reservations for spring so I can start counting the days til our first trip of 2012.
I'm sorry! Hopefully retirement is just around the corner.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Kind of the opposite for us as we are getting ready to leave next week to go south. We rarely use the MH in the summer because we really love where we live. Not so in the winter though. You will love it when you get to leave the bad weather behind.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking forward to retirement is wishing away your years. For the most part all you have to do to do it is get old! Enjoy the camper when you can! It is a great way to travel.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, it's that time of year again. The motor home is snug in its garage for the winter. Cut the lawn the last time. Will remove the mower from the tractor and put the snow blower on along with the chains. The fishing boat is getting winterized at the dealer.

Our summer was short this year as spring extended to the 4th of July. But we'll save $$$ not having to fill the gas tank of the motor home.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What's THAT All About?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Yup, it's that time of year again. The motor home is snug in its garage for the winter. Cut the lawn the last time. Will remove the mower from the tractor and put the snow blower on along with the chains. The fishing boat is getting winterized at the dealer.

Our summer was short this year as spring extended to the 4th of July. But we'll save $$$ not having to fill the gas tank of the motor home.

We're cleaning the patio and screened porch, planting a new crop of veggies, getting ready for the outdoor living season and leaving the %$^&* thermostat in the house OFF.

Come on down. We'll help you put things into boxes, carry furniture to the moving van!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have I got a solution for you.. Right now,, as I type, here in Darian GA it's 66 Degrees out. Very nice.

That said: When I read the subject I thought you were referring to somethign else.

Psychologists tell us that the forthcoming Christmas Season is the busiest time of year for Suicides. Many people feel epically sad this time of year (I actually know how that is) In fact I had that problem myself for many years (Though clearly did not suicide) till one Christmas I just flat got lucky and turned it around.. I will tell that story.

For many years (35) Detroit had a classical music radio station WQRS... A bit hard to find for quality reasons (They did not squash the dynamic range like the Rock stations do) but worth the effort.. I had a number of friends there.. Well, it got sold due to some changing rules at the FCC which have since changed again and the new owners made it into "Magic 105.1" and... Well.. it's no longer on my push button list.

For a short time there was an AM station (1300) that tried to put Classical on the air at least for a couple hours a day... The host was former WQRS on-air Personality (NOW a public radio personality) Dick Wallace.. In an attempt to drum up listenership they decided to do a month long "Remote" from a local mall... And they had special "EVENTS"

Dick had told of his wedding, years ago, and how the organist (Friend and WQRS program Director and on air personality Dr. Dave Wagner (yes he really is a doctor of music)) had a brandy snifter on the organ "For tips"

Well this day Friend and yet another WQRS person Davis Gloff (who just might be related.. Not sure) was going to tickle the keys on the piano for a "Sing Along" event.

I got there early, scoured the mall, Wound up buying a pair of Brandy Snifters from Williams-Sonoma

Called to Davis when he came in to warm up "Nice Piano, but it's lacking something" "What?" "For Tips" (Producing trhe glass) he laughed and with great ceremony carried it to the piano. (Man would make a good clown, by the way he appears in, as I recall one of the Grand Theft Auto, movies)

Well, I finished lunch (Olga's next to the remote) went out and put my 2 cents worth in (2 cents) and the set producer picked up a couple of loose coins and tossed them in and when the show started Davis and Dick played it up a bit.

Over sixty dollars landed in the Salvation Army bell ringer's bucket after the show.

And that broke my holiday depression for good.. Finally i'd managed to "Multiply the loaves" as it were.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Looking forward to retirement is wishing away your years. For the most part all you have to do to do it is get old! Enjoy the camper when you can! It is a great way to travel.
I keep telling my wife that I'm at that stupid age--too young to retire and too old to work. But I guess I should be happy that I have a good job in this bad economy. But on the other hand-- if I retire early I would make a good job available for an unemployed person so I guess it is my duty to retire early.
My wife didn't buy it. She said it was really not very good reasoning so I guess I have to keep working.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

I too used to get down this time of year because of the need to winterize the rv. In Colorado it is best to do it by early October, and many years I didn't summerize it until Memoriable Day because of the late frost/freezes we'd get. Now that I'm retired it doesn't seem so bad as I head south instead of winterizing. Keep the faith, retirement will come. As posted earlier, all you have to do is get old(er).
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote