Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Safe-T-Plus Install Question

I have completed the CHF on our coach and am now in the process of installing the Safe-T-Plus Steering Shock. In so doing, the install instructions for the ANCHOR bracket (which attaches to the drivers side U-bolt) calls for tightening the nuts to 240 foot pounds. I have an air gun that I used to loosen the U-bolts and it didn't seem to struggle much (just a little bit) to loosen them making me wonder if that 240 FP was anywhere close to factory settings.. I used the air gun to tighten the bolts as tight as the gun would make them using a 150 PSI compressor. I set the torque wrench at 100 FP (for starters) and it clicked right away indicating that the air gun got them at least to 100 FP. I then set the torque wrench in increments of 10 additional FP until I got to 175 FP. Believe me, I am not a weakling per se', but no weight lifter either and it took EVERYTHING I had to get that wrench to click at 175 FP.

I do not have the coach on a lift so I am laying on the ground underneath doing this install. I had my foot against the inside drivers tire to achieve as much leverage as possible and pulled like CRAZY to get it to click. I honestly don't think I am going to be successful in getting to 240 FP as noted in the installation instructions. Honestly, I was worried that I was going to either snap a bolt off (probably unlikely) or at a minimum break my torque wrench.
I have a call into Safe-T-Plus and probably won't hear from them until Monday to confirm their torque recommendation.

So here's my questions:

1.) Has anyone installed a steering shock and if so, what was the recommended torque for the anchor bracket bolts?

2.) If the torque was anything close to 240 FP, HOW THE HECK did you accomplish it?

Thanks all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

I've never installed one but, get yourself a Torque Multiplier for your wrench if that torque spec is correct.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
UPDATE: Took the rig into Sanderson Ford Truck/RV shop here in Glendale. Tech Jason took the coach to the back and in about 10 minutes pulled it back to the front and said "all done...no charge!" Whaaaaat? Torqued to 240 ft pounds!
Here buddy...buy yourself a cold one on me after work. And thanks so much.

So, completed the rest of the shock install (about 40 minutes or so), test drive, no adjustment needed and we're ready for the trip to Oregon. LOVE how it handles now with the CHF and Safe-T-Plus.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Thanks Don for the update will be interested in your long trip experience. We are workamping at Bonneville Lock and Dam here in OR, but departing for home in IA 6/28, with some sightseeing on the way, and looking forward to feeling the improvements with the VHF done.
Safe travels
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install