Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I went to the RV water filter store online because I did not know what a watts regulator was. This statement was on their site.
Quote: Excessive pressure can cause your plumbing to leak or even rupture. It doesn't take long at high pressures to cause damage, even a fairly brief "spike" can do it. Pressure regulators are installed in your water supply line to limit the water pressure going into your RV. RV plumbing is normally rated at 125 psi, but you certainly don't need to use that much. However, 60-65 psi is a very comfortable pressure for faucets and showers. Parks don't always have that much, but when they do, having a regulator designed for good flow and pressure adjustability will allow you to take advantage of that better pressure without creating a problem with standard RV plumbing systems. Many higher end RV pumps that come on RVs have 65 to as much as 85 psi. New RVs often have their plumbing systems tested to 100 psi, or so, during the manufacturing process, but we recommend regulating incoming pressure to around 60-65 psi to provide a very nice operating system. "unquote"
As you can read it considers what is normal pressure for RV,s. I use the regulator that is a fixed adjustment that can be purchased at any RV store. I wonder why many of you want to buy the adjustible type that costs 4 to 5 times more? I am sure that you cannot adjust more water pressure if there is not enough and having the more simple regulator will protect the system from spikes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #16

Have not verified the information, but have been told by techs, etc that the RVIA standard is a minimum of 100PSI. Myself I have a Watts with a gauge from 'rvwaterfilterstore.com' set to 65PSI. Have not experienced any problems with leaks, etc. Have experienced go water flow for the shower.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
I bought a Watts N45BU ...it is a 3/4" bore "whole-house" regulator. I bought the hose bib adaptors for each end and use quik-connects for easy installation. I got a separate gauge so I can check pressure before or after the regulator as desired.

I also have used a Shureflow 5.7gpm "Extreme series" water pump for the past years that supposedly puts out 65psi...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why is a Watts household regulator better than something like this? It is also adjustable.

Just curious...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Why is a Watts household regulator better than something like this? It is also adjustable.

Just curious...

Craig
That unit would be fine if the internal passage diameter is as big as the one the Watts has. I think my Watts is 3/4 inch.
Rebuild kits are available for Watts regulators. Don't know about the Valtera.
I don't know how important that is though. My Watts is nine years old and still working fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo
Many communities with wells don't require regulators on the house. The plumbing in the RV is flex-plastic with compression connectors. Is it really worth the chance, when you can stop by Walmart and get a really cheap plastic pressure valve. I just got the CampingWorld Master Catalog and it lists an inline regulator for $9.99 club price. If a connector pops the water damage can be huge.
Buy a cheap one and when you get the Watts regulator keep the cheap one for emergencies, like when a fellow camper forgets theirs.
Happy Trails.
Those 9.99 "regulators" are nothing but flow restrictors. Calibrated holes. They do not regulate pressure at all.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
That unit would be fine if the internal passage diameter is as big as the one the Watts has. I think my Watts is 3/4 inch.
Rebuild kits are available for Watts regulators. Don't know about the Valtera.
I don't know how important that is though. My Watts is nine years old and still working fine.
X2

The Watts unit will flow 4-4.5 gallons per minute (Model 263A), which is about as good as it gets for these types of units and more than enough for an RV. The 263A, particularly with the stainless steel kit already installed, is all the water pressure regulator any RVer could ever need and with the stainless steel kit, corrosion proof. I can't find any information on the Valterra's flow rate, but, I would be surprised if it were as high as the Watt's. The Valterra website does show that their regulator should be set to 45-50 psi max, while the Watt's is recommended to be set at 60-65 psi for RV use...I've always kept mine at 60 psi and never had a problem with my plumbing at that pressure and I've had this Watts through three different trailers. As mentioned above, a rebuild kit (if it is ever needed) can be had for the Watts, the Valterra website does not indicate a rebuild kit as being available...they may have one available through their service department and just don't list it on their website though.

As for running "unregulated" at 60 psi...you should be fine. My brain is old and I no longer remember change dates, but, I believe older trailers were tested to 85 psi, while newer units are tested to 125 psi for integrity of the hardware and connectors. As mentioned above, I wouldn't rely on the 60 psi you have now (unregulated) as being a reliable constant. I stayed at a campground once that spiked to 128 psi, it can happen
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any photos of how they have their Watts regulator set up for RV use?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Not mine - thanks to someone else who posted it here earlier.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00455.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	19149
Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Community Administrator

I ordered one today from RV Water Filter. Thanks to all who posted about it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
I wonder why many of you want to buy the adjustible type that costs 4 to 5 times more? I am sure that you cannot adjust more water pressure if there is not enough and having the more simple regulator will protect the system from spikes.
In my case, I did it because I found the cheaper restrictors to limit the water flow too much for my liking.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

60 lbs is too high for a rv as it should be around 45 maybe 50 but no higher. The Watts regulator is great and gives plenty of water volume while lowering the pressure.

If you don't want to build one yourself you can go to Camping World and they have a watts regulator with a meter so you can adjust the pressure to 45 lbs.

Be safe not sorry and lower your pressure for sure.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any photos of how they have their Watts regulator set up for RV use?

Craig
I don't have any photos handy but I mounted mine on my water softener with gauges to monitor pressure on the inlet and outlet.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Cheapo does work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Those 9.99 "regulators" are nothing but flow restrictors. Calibrated holes. They do not regulate pressure at all.
Sorry to be the one, but I must say this statement is not true. I have always used the 40-50psi preset regulators from Camco.

Walmart.com: Camco Brass Water Regulator: Automotive

I have to replace them when they get clogged or start chattering.

I also have a water pressure gauge in line, and the gauge shows the pressure drops down to 40psi.

When I turn on a faucet, the pressure drops to 37psi for a split second, then right back to 40psi. , even while running the water.

I don't know how it works internally, but it does work.

I just installed a new one last night because 6mo old one was chattering, and I was worried about not using one because of the dreaded pressure 'spike' people have mentioned.

Tags
water