RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Safeco Insurance....BEWARE..!!

Hi Guys:

Last year I went with Safeco Insurance through FMCA for insurance for my coach. Seemed like a good policy with good coverage amounts at a goo price. I paid $975.00 a year.

Well I just got my new premium price for 2020, it is $1785.00 a year? No accidents just a policy increase??? Called them and they said they made a mistake in the calculations for PA insurance last year... huh..????

Called FMCA got two new quotes for EXAXT coverage from Safeco, one $706 Progressive and $851.00 Nationwide..!!!!!!

Safeco is out to lunch...

Jim P.

pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #2

Check that stuff! I had been with Allstate for auto policies since I was 15. In my late 40s, I did some checking, and found that Progressive was half what I was paying. Strange thing - two policies and each was to the dollar half of what I was paying.

More recently, we had a policy on our RV with Progressive. When I renewed after a year, we discovered that they had written a policy for a travel trailer and not a motor home. This after the usual questions (how many miles per year, engine type, VIN...) Imagine the furor had I had a driving liability claim during that year.

We are with Safeco now for our cars, and have had good results.

Not an endorsement - whatever you have, police your rates and coverage!

Matt B

Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Exact same thing happened to me. FMCA got me a Safeco policy for a good price but a month before renewal it was due to rise by 45% at renewal. I called the FMCA broker and they moved me to Progressive for about the same as Safeco’s first year price.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had Safeco for two years at a good rate. With no claims, no traffic tickets, thay bumped the rates over 30% for the 3rd year.

I have found that we need to shop insurance coverage every 2 to 3 years.

Ken
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's not just Safeco, I think they all do that! Another form of "bait & switch"!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Guys:

Last year I went with Safeco Insurance through FMCA for insurance for my coach. Seemed like a good policy with good coverage amounts at a goo price. I paid $975.00 a year.

Well I just got my new premium price for 2020, it is $1785.00 a year? No accidents just a policy increase??? Called them and they said they made a mistake in the calculations for PA insurance last year... huh..????

Called FMCA got two new quotes for EXAXT coverage from Safeco, one $706 Progressive and $851.00 Nationwide..!!!!!!

Safeco is out to lunch...

Jim P.
Did they ask you to re-imburse them for the misquoted premium? I bet if the situation was reversed, you would want the difference refunded.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Play their game, they go up, shop around.
Progressive went from $1600 to 2700 for house insurance. New policy for 1300 with Allstate.
Next year who knows?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We had Safeco for two years at a good rate. With no claims, no traffic tickets, thay bumped the rates over 30% for the 3rd year.

I have found that we need to shop insurance coverage every 2 to 3 years.

Ken
Excellent advice!!! That's what we do. Sometimes I hear folks say they've been with xxxxxx for 30 years. I don't understand that.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gee, and my auto insurance has been going down a little every renewal...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #10

That is the way the game is played now. Lure you in with a low introductory price then raise your premium 35%+ for the upcoming year.

BTW I have said this many times here. Your results/experiences may very.

I will never own a policy with Progressive. Nor do I service repairs in my shop for progressive unless the owner underwrites the cost and deals with Progressive on their own. I can name 3 shop owners in my vicinity who do the same.

When considering rv insurance you might want to talk to a few repair shops and ask who the worst company is to deal with. Progressive is at the top of the list always.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Safeco has treated me with superior service and competitive rates for several years. Even after an accident last year my 2 autos + motorhome combined only went up about $170. Plus they were above and beyond good service when the last DP was totaled. Premiums are clearly an important consideration but if you actually need to use the insurance, the fairness and reliability of the company you've been mailing checks to will suddenly be far more important.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

Had Safeco for auto and home policies for over a decade. Past three years, increases for both started getting larger and larger. Called around and got rates from Travelers that were 55% less then what I would of been paying if I stayed with Safeco. Called local Safeco agent(who represents several other underwriters) and they could of cared less that I was going to another agent.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I will never own a policy with Progressive. Nor do I service repairs in my shop for progressive unless the owner underwrites the cost and deals with Progressive on their own. I can name 3 shop owners in my vicinity who do the same.
When my pickup was hit by a load of breaker rock that flew off a passing semi and I took it into my Chevy Dealership's body shop they just groaned when I told them I had Progressive. It was the only claim I had ever had after being with them for many years and they were horrendous to deal with. Thank goodness the body shop was kind to me. Next renewal I dropped them like a hot rock. I wouldn't use Progressive again if they offered me free insurance.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #14

I had Allstate for years, had 5 policies at one time. Now I have none with them. I cancelled them due to steady rate increases and they have never asked why I cancelled.
I have had good services with Progressive, $5600 claim for thieves destroying MH door to steal nothing. Had good service with USAA but left them due to rate creep. Still have home owners with USAA. Now with State Farm for 3 years on autos and MH. Just got my renewal notice from State Farm for autos rate went DOWN $300.
I now check rates at every renewal. With everything on line it only takes a few minutes

redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance