Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
I'd feel a whole lot safer if I had a firearm for protection, but we can't be bringing that back and forth across the border. Wondering what other Canadians are doing to arm themselves against nefarious intruders?
As a life long gun owner, hunter, and sport shooter, I assure you that to go and buy a gun for no purpose but safety will not make you safe and could subject you to a serious accident. I have been shooting for fun since I was about 5 or years old and have owned at least 1 gun since I was 14. I have also been camping in some form nearly as long and in that time there has never been one occasion where I had a need to protect myself with a gun. Consider that for owning gun to make you more safe you must first practice with it a great deal and on a frequent basis. You need to shoot enough to make accurate shooting instinctive as if you ever need to use the gun your heart will be pounding and your hands unsteady. You must also be willing to kill a human being for it to make you safe.

A much wiser approach is to choose the places you spend the night carefully as it is very rare for anyone staying in an RV to be attacked by anyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
30+ years of rv camping. I have moved many times because parties and noise. Have decided not to camp at spots because my to-be neighbors did not look friendly. I have had beer taken from my cooler. But never had that fear feeling for our safety. If I did, we would be out of there.

We form time to time talk about putting an old 9mm in the camper. DW and I have lived around guns all our life. I think we don't bring the 9mm because we have always felt safe. Go with your gut.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

If you're parked at a rest stop or Walmart, turn off your steps, so they come in when you close the door. Turning the ignition key to RUN will also bring them in. Use your step cover, to cover the interior steps, making it difficult to traverse the stairs.

Thanks, I never thought of that. I will add it to my list of things to help me feel comfortable with my surroundings.

By the front door I have a roll of duct tape and a powder fire extinguisher.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #18

Past experience is no longer an indicator or future outcomes--I wager that world events will continue to make us less safe--even in our own homes....guns are probably not the answer--perhaps there is still some safety in numbers -- camping alone in an isolated location may no longer be the best move....safe travels...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 05-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Past experience is no longer an indicator or future outcomes--I wager that world events will continue to make us less safe--even in our own homes....guns are probably not the answer--perhaps there is still some safety in numbers -- camping alone in an isolated location may no longer be the best move....safe travels...
Those wanting to rob you are too lazy to seek out someone in the boonies. That requires too much effort for them.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seriously, how many murders have you heard of over the last 20 years that occurred while boondocking? I can think of only two, an elderly couple somewhere out west and a couple camping on a beach somewhere in Texas.
You're in greater danger just shopping at Target or Walmart or attending a concert.
Geez, get some bear spray, pull in the steps and stay away from guns unless you're fully trained and prepared to suffer the consequences of your actions. Because even if justified, your life will become a mess if you use a gun on someone.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thread Warning!
Guns are being brought into this conversation and unless it tightly follows the rule below will be removed and possibly close this thread.

“ Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.”

Site Staff
Old 05-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #22

The words "safety" and "defense" have different definitions.

My take is if you need "defense", your opportunity for "safety" has already passed.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for all of your replies - I feel better knowing it hasn't been an issue for the most part. We plan to be pretty choosy about where we drop anchor for sure.

My husband is a hunter and has all of his restricted weapon certificates (required in Canada) so weapon safety and knowledge is not expert level, but enough to know how to handle one safely. Hiding something in the bus is NOT an option - he could lose his certification, and we both have Nexus cards to make border crossing easier and that would definitely be stripped - guessing we would never be allowed to cross the border again either.

I guess some bear spray is our best option - a big dog is not. I had already planned to be street smart and seek safety in numbers but don't want to crowd out the neighbors either! From what you all say I think we are gonna do it right. Thanks again for taking the time to share.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #24
PKI

Crispy - you have the right attitude. Loud Horn, bright flashlight with strobe, motion sensing lights, and that situational awareness are all good tactics. SA works for storm preparation too. Have a great adventure.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #25

There are gun stores that can legally store one for you here so you aren't transporting back and forth. I have no idea on the legalities of an alien carrying in the USA. But I am sure an alien can legally have it. Just remember it's life and limb only. Going outside to meet the threat will bury you in legal troubles and really is foolishness risking a life , yours or a thief's over property.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #26

The fire extinguisher idea from above is a good one. Unlike bear spray there's no mistaking where it's pointed and will blind and choke the assailant with minimal effects on you. Then the canister makes a nice baton - it's one of the things they teach you to use as a weapon in an active shooter scenario.

Baseball bat? No place to swing it in an RV.

It's going to sound a bit silly to some, but if firearms aren't in the equation I'd think a great defensive weapon specific to an RV would be a short spear - like 3-4 ft. It gives you standoff from the assailant, it can't misfire and probably can't miss given the assailant has little room in the narrow confines of an RV to dodge and avoid. Psychologically, getting stuck with something is something we are hard-wired to avoid.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Why not just hide the firearm in the coach somewhere?
That is a terrible idea. People have been jailed for doing that. If you are going to to Canada intending to break the law, please don't go!
Old 06-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That is a terrible idea. People have been jailed for doing that. If you are going to to Canada intending to break the law, please don't go!
OP is Canadian coming to USA
So same applies........DON'T
Closed Thread

Tags
remote, safety