Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #15

Is having cable TV really that important?
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Guess I agree with NOT blaming the RV CG. We have been on the road for over three months - mostly out west - and probably have had Cable in less than 30% of where we stayed. When cable was offered, almost all were fuzzy/ghosting except for a couple of channels, if lucky. OP I think forgets how prevalent set top boxes are now. Hotels, rentals, cruise ships, vacation cottages, all homes, everywhere they are required to get a 'good' picture. Hey, even satellite requires a box. Cable companies don't see RV Parks as any different than anything else. And having to supply their cable signal some other way (not requiring a set top box) just isn't cost effective for them.

I found myself negotiating a cable contract for 77 condos in our HOA. 3 buildings all wired at the same common spot. You would think it would be easier just to provide de-cryption at one point but no - set top boxes for every unit for every TV. That is the 'industry' standard today, so why do it any other way? Just try and negotiate something else? Won't happen. I blame the cable companies and their business model, not a CG trying to survive. I suspect those that do offer cable now will be forced to change in the future as more and more providers change to digital only (or not supply it at all).

As an aside - while negotiating with the contract agent, he admitted the cable company was really only looking at having all the condo units for internet access, TV was just something to add in. He claimed that they were already expecting TV channels to be much less of a draw with all the other ways to access content. They needed people that wanted internet access for the cable co to survive, not 'cable' TV.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

Required use of a box is not the campgrounds fault. If it is an issue for you since you cant easily connect to the back of your tv next time you have an opportunity fix the issue. I dont use cable in the rv so unsure of what type of connection is required surely depends on the box. At home i can use coax or hdmi at work we have some that are coax only. Pull the set off the wall. If it is coax cable just get a splitter from the local hardware store and run a piece of coax from one side of the splitter to a convenient location. If it is an HDMI cable same thing hook one up and again just run it to a convenient location perhaps run both so you are set wither way you may very well be able to run it inside the wall. Then if you need a box you are set total plug and play at that point.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I gave up and went with Dish Satellite. Just put the Tailgater antenna outside and turn it on. Done.

Got tired of low-def cable they supply at the parks anyway.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to a couple parks like that and just connected their box to my park cable inlet. The box was outside and the remote was a bit awkward to point, but it worked. The biggest problem was loss of signal strength/quality thru the extra coax and switching within my coach. At one such place I was only able to get about half the channels until a signal booster was added at my site. And of course, both tvs got whatever channel the box was set for - couldn't tune different channels at same time (and yes, I had QAM tvs).

At one place the cable box was a touted feature - the park supplied 192 channels including several premium $$ ones, all as part of the site cost. We didn't care about those extras, but the clear purpose of the cable box was extra function and not a "crappy system".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #20

As kind of a beginner this is something I've not run into or thought about. As-is a cable box would be kind of a pain to use in my coach. But it so happens I have the main wiring rather exposed for other reasons and now that I know, I'm sure I can think up a way to make it easy to swap in a cable box should the need arise. Before I button it all back up again. So this thread is right on time for me. Even that's not what the thread was intended for, thanks!
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I do blame the campground because 99% of the campgrounds we use do not need a box. It is a cheap bare bones way to offer cable. Since June 15 we have not needed a box in any of the campgrounds we stayed at before we got here to Maine.

These include:

Southern Oaks in Summerfield, FL (they had boxes for years but upgraded because they were losing transient business)
Coastal Georgia RV Resort in Brunswick, GA
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort
North Myrtle Beach RV Resort
New Bern KOA, New Bern, NC
Williamsburg KOA
Fredricksburg KOA
Cherry Hill RV Park Washington, DC
Association Island KOA

This morning we confirmed that our next stop in Maine does not require a box.

A home S&B cable system is totally different than that for a RV Park.

The current campground...though not their fault...does not have strong enough At&T to stream or do the hotspot.
According to your signature, you are "GM of the Universe". Perhaps you should use your position and power to force the cable company to provide the campground a non-encrypted signal instead of just whining on internet forums. While you are at it, you could also upgrade AT&T's service in the area so you could stream. What's the point of being "GM of the Universe" if you don't use those super powers.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
I do blame the campground because 99% of the campgrounds we use do not need a box. It is a cheap bare bones way to offer cable. Since June 15 we have not needed a box in any of the campgrounds we stayed at before we got here to Maine.

These include:

Southern Oaks in Summerfield, FL (they had boxes for years but upgraded because they were losing transient business)
Coastal Georgia RV Resort in Brunswick, GA
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort
North Myrtle Beach RV Resort
New Bern KOA, New Bern, NC
Williamsburg KOA
Fredricksburg KOA
Cherry Hill RV Park Washington, DC
Association Island KOA

This morning we confirmed that our next stop in Maine does not require a box.

A home S&B cable system is totally different than that for a RV Park.

The current campground...though not their fault...does not have strong enough At&T to stream or do the hotspot.
Hi Ron-

It's the cable company, not the CG/park. They have no control over the technology used by the cable TV company.

At My Fair City's performing arts center we had Cox cable all over the building, mostly so the City could sell wired internet to temporary tenants but had put TVs up in tech and employee areas for weather info (tornado alley). About 5 years ago Cox went to encrypted delivery of all channels and completely removed the low-band analog local TV channels. I'm not sure exactly what is in the contract between them and the City, but Cox ended up providing a number of set-top decoders for use by the City.

Yeah, it's inconvenient as it can be for RVers. The Cable Companies don't give a rat's patootie about RV parks... and you should see the expensive gyrations needed to get cable TV into hospital rooms were everything has to operate from the big hospital wired remote control (nurse call, TV, some room lights). I don't know how accurate, but I was told dealing with the encrypted cable stuff and interfacing with hospital infrastructure turned into a $200/bed additional expense when Cox switched to encryption.

If Comcast/Cox/Rogers (for our Canadian friends) etc don't want to deliver unencrypted signals to some users there is little that can be done unless there are provisions in the city/county franchise agreement with the provider.

Sorry this was a big suck-factor in your stay, but your anger at the CG is misplaced.

edit ps: A few years ago there were TVs available that accepted what was called "cable card", a PCMCIA-type (like laptops had years ago) slot that accepted a decryption/user verification card supplied by the cable company. There were so many problems that TV manufacturers stopped including this feature because they were getting blamed for the cable co problems with them.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
According to your signature, you are "GM of the Universe". Perhaps you should use your position and power to force the cable company to provide the campground a non-encrypted signal instead of just whining on internet forums. While you are at it, you could also upgrade AT&T's service in the area so you could stream. What's the point of being "GM of the Universe" if you don't use those super powers.
Kcdogger, Thanks for the promotion but that position is already taken by my wife. And if she doesn't have her TV, she is not happy, therefore I am not too happy either.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Kcdogger, Thanks for the promotion but that position is already taken by my wife. And if she doesn't have her TV, she is not happy, therefore I am not too happy either.
Common problem all of us married guys have, no matter what our rank, the wife has an extra stripe. If TV is the solution to the boss' happiness, an investment in a satellite system might very well be in your future. Good Luck
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
Common problem all of us married guys have, no matter what our rank, the wife has an extra stripe. If TV is the solution to the boss' happiness, an investment in a satellite system might very well be in your future. Good Luck
I have a Direct TV set up but unfortunately the park that sorta did not tell us the entire truth about their cable also promised us a sat friendly site. They did not have any of those either. Glad we are leaving tomorrow...BUT, before we left home I purchased the entire Game of Thrones HBO series on disks for occasions such as this. Will watch season 1, episode 1 tonight.

Normally when we get in this position we stream from our phone hot spots but here the a fore mentioned AT&T is not usable.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #26

Now think about it - does any cable provider pass unencrypted cable? I didn't think so.
So the owner of the CG is decoding it for you and pumping it out to all the pedestals. Most I have been to are decoded already. The other CGs don't offer cable.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #27

Maybe good cable is not really from the cable company....

https://www.arvc.org/Blog/8/TV-For-R...Infrastructure

https://itsallaboutsatellites.com/wh...s-campgrounds/

https://unitedcabledirect.com/tv-rv-parks-campgrounds/

Commercial Satellite TV for Mobile Home Park and RV Park from The Satellite Center
Old 08-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Reminds me of when we were outside Big Bend National Park at a small private campground (Stillwell Store). A Super C was pulling away from the entrance as we were pulling in. The campground host was still shaking his head as we walked in. We registered for our full hookup site, and we said something about “At least we’re don’t have to worry about a clear satellite view“ (the sites were wide open). The host said the previous guest had left without staying because there weren’t any cable hookups, and all “full hookup“ sites should come with cable. Ummm. We kind of laughed about it, and we happily watched our satellite TV at night for news and weather. If anyone doesn’t know the area, it is 45 miles from the campground to Marathon, the closest town.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable