Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #1

Sales Tax on Purchase when out of state

Quick question and probably a quicker answer....when you purchase a RV out of state which state do you pay the taxes in?
When we retire, we’ll be Florida residents, but if we buy an RV say in California, do we pay sales tax there or in Florida?

Second part, if we fly and buy, and drive it back to Florida how does that work in regards to plates?

Thanks
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your sales tax is based on where you live.
When you purchase a vehicle from the dealer they give you temp registration.
Make sure you have a copy of current insurance on the vehicle you buy before you leave.
We flew to so. Ca. And picked up our used vehicle. They put a new owner reg in the windshield and I had my insurance email me a copy of the new insurane.

Hope that helps you.

Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
California is a bit tricky, even if you live in another state. I know of one dealer there, Tom Lindstrom, who has a way around it. Customers of his can elaborate on that better than I can.
In other states, most will provide you a temp plate, and you then pay the sales tax in your home state, (at your home state's rates) when you put plates on the RV.

Edit: Terry beat me to it while I was typing. So didn't mean to repeat things already stated.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
AZ also collects on the sale. I bought in AZ but we signed all papers in CA so the "sale" was in CA. I license in NM where I live, and the AZ dealer submitted paper & collected NM Tax.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #5

Good question!

The most likely answer is that somehow, some way, you are going to pay a sales tax along the way. Read up on "use tax" for your state. It's a de-facto sales tax that you pay in your home state when the sales tax rate in the state you purchased the rig is less. In other words, if I bought a $10,000 rig in Oregon which has no sales tax, and brought it to my county with a 5% sales tax,I would pay that 5% on the $10,000 as a "use tax." If I bought in a state that charges a 4% tax rate and I have a 5% state rate, I pay the 1% difference in rates as a use tax. If the difference goes the other way, I don't think you get a refund. Your state may or may not do this sort of thing, but it's good to know about before the sale.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Your sales tax is based on where you live.
When you purchase a vehicle from the dealer they give you temp registration.
Make sure you have a copy of current insurance on the vehicle you buy before you leave.
We flew to so. Ca. And picked up our used vehicle. They put a new owner reg in the windshield and I had my insurance email me a copy of the new insurane.

Hope that helps you.

Terry
WE did basically the same thing. We bought our rig in Mississippi (north part of the state) and got a temp tag ot drive it back to Florida where we registered it and paid the FL tax.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #7

You pay it in the state you title it. I've never seen different.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #8

A California dealer must deliver a purchase to the customer out of state and have the delivery notarized, on a California document, by a notary in the state that the customer takes possession, in order to avoid the dealer collecting California sales tax.

The dealer will provide a trip permit to allow time to drive to the state of residence.
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #9

Don't get confused by where you pay and who you pay. Some states have reciprocal agreements and their dealers will collect sales tax on behalf of other states.

For example, you are residents of state X and plan to register your motor home there. You purchase in state Y and tell the dealer that you plan to register in your home state. If state Y has a reciprocal agreement with state X to collect sales tax on their behalf, you'll pay the dealer when you purchase the rig, and they (or the state) will forward the taxes to your home state. When you then register in your home state you won't pay any additional taxes.

In other situations, when no reciprocal agreement is in place, the state where you purchase won't collect the taxes. You might get a temporary plate to use to drive home, and then you pay taxes when you register. Be aware though, as many states that don't collect the taxes on behalf of your home state will report the purchase to your home state. If you don't register where you say you're going to, don't be surprised if you get a tax bill from the state where you purchased the rig.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
For example, you are residents of state X and plan to register your motor home there. You purchase in state Y and tell the dealer that you plan to register in your home state.
As the OP mentioned purchasing in California, my previous post was intended to address a California purchase.

I am an Oregon resident where there is no sales tax, but California is not inclined to collect "no sales tax", for a state that does not have sales tax.

Regardless of ID, drivers license and endless proof that I was an Oregon resident, there was no alternative, other than to take an out of state delivery to avoid paying thousands of dollars in California state sales tax.

There is no logical reason for California to collect sales tax on behalf of a state that has no sales tax, but logic does not always prevail. I chose take the out of state delivery and keep my money in my pocket, rather than to ask California for a refund and wait until it was convenient for the refund to be processed.

In the OPs example, it might be advantageous to investigate the tax implications of Florida before making the purchase and keep you money under your control to pay your taxes on your own.
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #11

Sadly, if you take delivery in CA you will pay CA sales tax. The only way out of it is to take delivery out of state.

Tags
purchase, sale