Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #15

I take it everyone is taking the 5th with respect to home use and on the road use?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #16

The 5th? I'll drink to that!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #17

I pay $5 a month for my second receiver and yes, Dishnetwork knows I am using it in my MH. We are only talking $60 a year here.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #18
PDB

RE: Hard Drive failure from 'bouncing' the receiver.
Yes, I had one receiver drive go bad on one of my 508's. I have since fastened 1" thick foam under each receiver to absorb the 'boucing' while on the road.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #19

I have seem other posts in the past from people who put their 2nd receiver in the RV when they travel. Seems to work fine for them.

We have DirecTV in our MH, but not in our home, however, I would like to have it in both places, just haven't begun to look into the logistics yet. Since we have the East and West coast networks in the MH, I don't want to lose them.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #20

Judy,

Don't know about Direct TV, but I have had two recivers at home (DISH) for 6 years, and I just take on with me in the MH. Yes "Dish" knows I take one on the road in the MH, no problem. Been doing it for 2 1/2 years now.

Bruce
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #21
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Judy; We have dish too, but because of my home address I cant get the network feeds. I am sure if you tell them you have one in the house instead of the bedroom they will give you a hassle for the second one.

If you decide to install it at home, and need help doing it, E-Mail me.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:30 PM   #22

Judy: Call DirecTV and tell them you want to add a 2nd receiver to your RV. They will charge you $5 / month for the additional receiver. If the receiver spends some of it's time in your home, I won't tell.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #23

What I was getting at is that the receiver is contracted for a specific location. When you add another receiver (or use the second receiver from your home) for your motorhome, you can end up with TWO LOCATIONS using the service at the same time. For example, you are using one in your motorhome in a park some place and your son at home is using the system there.
Thus, you have two different locations using it at the same time. That is what they don't like. In the view of some at the satellite companies, that is no different that you son having your second receiver at his home and thus saving the primary charge.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
We have 3 DirecTV receivers - 2 at home (an HDTV downstairs, a conventional upstairs) and 1 in the RV. I pay full boat for the downstairs HDTV receiver. The upstairs receiver as well as the one in the RV are "mirrored" receivers for which I pay $4.99/month each.

And, yes, DirecTV knows the 3rd receiver is in the RV.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:35 AM   #25

Rusty, from you response I assume you are saying that DirecTV doesn't care if you are in California with your 5er watching TV via their system while at the same time your family in Texas is using the system?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
That's absolutely right. I'm paying for the privilege of using all 3 receivers simultaneously.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I also have multiple receivers (4) TIVO units, I pay $.99 a month for the 3 "extras". I take one in The RV about 4 months out of the year DirecTv just asks me to plug it into a phone line when I come home. That way they update the softeware and bill me for PPV's I purchased. They even told me that if I order a PPV online I will get it on ALL my receivers at the same time, (Mirrored subscription). If my daughter orders a PPV when I am on the road she calls me and I can record it.
I'm sure DirecTv would rather have you pay for duplicate subscriptions rather than $4.99. But if you are not trying to rip them off they are pretty flexiable.