Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #1

Satellite Phone? Do you carry one for insurance?

OK, you've decided to take another USA trip and while there's many places that have cell phone coverage, there's always places that you might be and experience a system equipment FAILURE, and there's never enough security or in this case "cellphone service" until you need it.

Think of this as "insurance", and maybe you'll be "lucky" and be able to to find someone with a cellphone that's working even if yours is not.

SO.... what do you do? You've planned so your coach is in working order, but, you know, Murphy's Law, anything can happen. If you go go any places off the normal grid, you might get stuck and have "no easy way out".

Share your experiences if you carry a Satellite Phone? Maybe you rent one?
Or did you purchase one? There's many plans and the minutes do expire if you purchase a 6 month or 12 month plan, so, be aware that this is an issue. Or, you can just have a post paid plan and it's certainly expensive, it's $1.45 per minute, but, if you're STRANDED, even $1.45 per minute to make the call might sound pretty good.

I suppose if you never intend to go into an area without cellphone service, you're fine, but, you'll never be able to figure this out.

Or, maybe you'll just say "the hell with it" and I'll just take my chances. We've been doing that, just taking a chance. I guess you could think of this like if you were to carry protection, you'll hope that you will never use it and hopefully you will not.

It is NOT a phone you want to use, it might well just sit around doing absolutely nothing, which is a hard thing to justify, I understand. I don't like it at all, but, conversely, I don't think any of us will like it when you're stuck and don't have any communications.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post

Or, maybe you'll just say "the hell with it" and I'll just take my chances. We've been doing that, just taking a chance. I guess you could think of this like if you were to carry protection, you'll hope that you will never use it and hopefully you will not.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.
Not a class B owner , but need to ask .
Do you travel without a toad ?
My toad always has a full tank of fuel , and I figure in 600/700 miles ; of driving the toad away from a broken down coach; I'll find cell service .
Just my 2c worth.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

I have owned a couple of Sat phones for winter mountaineering and backpacking trips. I sold the last one as the monthly charges were getting too expensive.
Ended up getting a used Garmin sat messenger which costs 12$ a month.

I have a friend who I can text who will call coachnet for me or in event of an emergency Garmin will contact the emergency services.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No, I do not have a sat phone. However like Skip I do have a toad that is normally full and can travel to where there is cell service.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #5

Nope, but I do have ham transceiver
Old 04-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you dial 911 on any cellphone...activated or not and showing no signal from your carrier you will probably get through to 911.

Discovered that fact when we broke down in Elk California. Tried three different carriers from friends cell phones and no one had signal. I decided to dial 911 anyways and it went through. Tow truck arrived and all was well.

It turns out that there are hundreds of cell phone carriers owned by private companies out in the middle of no where that need coverage for their business.

Think mining and logging companies, etc. They are required to pass through any 911 call they get.

This will work even on an old cell phone that was deactivated years ago.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
This is in the general discussion area, so I will respond from a general view. We have had a number of trailers and now a Class A motorhome. It is not infrequent that we camp where We have no cell, but I don’t like it much. Heck, I get grumpy if I go without internet for a couple of days, but I manage for,lovely areas occasionally. We travel a lot through call dead zones since we like rural western US. However we aren’t off pavement often, and there are always others on the road. I just can’t see the need for a sat phone if you aren’t in the back country without other people around. After all, cell phone have only been common for 20 years or so, and people have been traveling in RVs for many more years. Just wave someone down and have them call someone for you when they get to a cell site. Or just walk the mile to the house/business you see in the distance and ask for the same.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If you dial 911 on any cellphone...activated or not and showing no signal from your carrier you will probably get through to 911.

Discovered that fact when we broke down in Elk California. Tried three different carriers from friends cell phones and no one had signal. I decided to dial 911 anyways and it went through. Tow truck arrived and all was well.

It turns out that there are hundreds of cell phone carriers owned by private companies out in the middle of no where that need coverage for their business.

Think mining and logging companies, etc. They are required to pass through any 911 call they get.

This will work even on an old cell phone that was deactivated years ago.
Hi Arch,

I knew that 911 calls go out on any network but did not know there are private networks.

Good to know.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #9

I like the sat messenger idea. I'll have to check into that. We have a 5er so no toad to go for help. $12 a month is way cheap.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #10

We've had a GlobalStar phone with the car kit and roof antenna for 18 or more years. It's a nice security blanket, especially to stay in touch with our parents as they aged. Being with GS so long, I can usually negotiate a better than advertised rate, like 50% off.

We go many places that have no cell service even now.

Before cell phones and sat phones, we had an IMTS mobile phone in the Suncruiser.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No more than I would use it the battery would probably be dead when I pulled it out.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
I like the sat messenger idea. I'll have to check into that. We have a 5er so no toad to go for help. $12 a month is way cheap.
I got a used device for 60$ and very happy with the 12$ a month.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After looking at the cost of Sat phone hardware acquisition and monthly fees, it's far less expensive to use dual band UHF/VHF radios in motorhome and Jeep. If we're going to be in back country locations, we file a travel plan, including scheduled check in dates/times, with friends or relatives. It's also fun to check in with local nets and speak with other Hams.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #14

I have been using a Delorme (now owned by garmin) Inreach for the past 6 years. Bought it primarily for my bicycle tours and off-road rides. It gives my wife peace of mind knowing she can reach me, locate me or I can reach out in an emergency. I also carry it when boating and now in the motorhome. I pay about $300 a year for the service which includes unlimited tracking(pinging) and IIRC about 50 texts a month. l have never used the SOS.

Tags
insurance, phone, satellite