Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Scangauge 2 X-Gauges With Newer Ford F53 Using CANSF Protocol

I am having issues trying to program X Gauge CHT and TFT gauges into my Scangauge 2. The Scangauge 2 tells me my vehicle is using the CANSF protocol so I used the Ford CANSF data supplied by Scangauge on their website. When testing, both gauges display their parameter name (CHT or TFT) but neither gauge indicates a value. It comes up blank. I also tried the PWM values but they do not work either.

The firmware on my Scangauge 2 is: 4.42

Here is the information I programmed into memory slot 1 for the Cylinder Head Temperature: TXD = 07E0221624, RXF = 046205160624, RXD = 3010, MTH = 000200010000. Name = CHT.

My RV is a 2017 Winnebago Sunstar on the Ford F-53 chassis with the 6.8L Triton V10.

Has anyone been successful in getting these gauges to work on THIS engine with the CANSF protocol? Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

My guess is the CHT is not supported for your V-10. If you notice there is only one set of codes for the cylinder head temp which would lead me to believe the code is only for a single cylinder head motor such as a four cylinder. No two cylinder heads on the same engine will ever run the same exact temp so if the V-10 was supported by the ScangaugeII it would have two sets of codes (cht1-cht2). I don't know this for a fact but is my best guess. For the TFT, did you try all three alternative codes?
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
My guess is the CHT is not supported for your V-10. If you notice there is only one set of codes for the cylinder head temp which would lead me to believe the code is only for a single cylinder head motor such as a four cylinder. No two cylinder heads on the same engine will ever run the same exact temp so if the V-10 was supported by the ScangaugeII it would have two sets of codes (cht1-cht2). I don't know this for a fact but is my best guess. For the TFT, did you try all three alternative codes?
I didn't try the alternative codes for the TFT. By that time I was ready to punch the scangauge. Before I programmed the points and tested them, I did search around quite a bit online and couldn't find anyone with a later year 6.8 that did the CHT gauge. That didn't give me a good feeling. Next time I go to the RV I will try the alternative codes on the TFT.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:17 AM   #4

You can program the Scangauge to monitor fuel trims with codes from the CANSF generic code files. This info is very important as it pertains to how well your engine adapts it's fuel delivery to changing loads placed on it. Correct fuel ratios will have a major effect on cylinder temps. Unlike older engines (my Chevy 8.1) your late model V-10 has a very sophisticated computer system that will alert you to any out of parameter systems with a check engine light before damage occurs.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Why not call Scan-gauge and ask?

LEN
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 05 V10. Most every parameter/gauge type would come up. Next was a 11 V10. Only about 2/3 of the prior gauges would show. I call them, change all the codes and never could get more. I wanted TFT the most, never got it.
On the other hand the trans cooler was much larger.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Why not call Scan-gauge and ask?

LEN
My plan is to find out first if anyone has actually done it, do what they did, and then call Scangauge if need be. They basically imply in the instructions that it will work but they do say if you tried all the codes and it doesn't work, it's probably not supported by that vehicle. The word "probably" to me means they don't know.

One would think F53 Ford RV Chassis owners would be a good customer for Scangauge. They should know what gauges will work in which year and put that in their compatibility list.

Tags
f53, ford, gauges, scangauge