Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Schwintek Slide Won't Come Out??

My bedroom slide will not come out. One side starts, but the other side does not move at all. I have removed the bed and frame and I did find a power connection not connected. But after reconnecting it the slide still will not come out. I reset the controller, but still no luck.

I cannot reach the wires for the motor in question to check those wires. I have checked all other wires.

Is there a way to physically move the slide out some for me to check the motor wiring? This will be the only way for me to reach the motor wiring. I removed a lot of interior bed trim to try, but my arms are not long enough.

I also removed the switch and only 3 or the 6 connectors have wiring on them. Is this correct?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

After further review I found a tag identifying the power connector being for the bed headboard outlet.

I have traced down all of the wiring for the left motor except where it is connected at the motor. This is what I cannot get to unless the slide is extracted some. I have pushed as hard as I can while the switch to take the slide out is pushed. I am afraid of getting the slide to much out of alignment and tearing more stuff up.

How would anyone be able to work on this?
Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

if you disconnect your wiring connector for the motor in question, you should be able then to push in/out the slide, possibly with help. the motors are designed to be in 'brake' mode when the connector is attached... even if you are pushing the switch it will not allow it to move, especially since you have a power problem between the switch and the motor.

the wiring connector for the motor is usually in the bay below the slide, either mounted on the wall or the ceiling. front motor is usually motor #1, rear motor #2, but you could remove both and push in/out the slide, then reattach both.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
if you disconnect your wiring connector for the motor in question, you should be able then to push in/out the slide, possibly with help. the motors are designed to be in 'brake' mode when the connector is attached... even if you are pushing the switch it will not allow it to move, especially since you have a power problem between the switch and the motor.

the wiring connector for the motor is usually in the bay below the slide, either mounted on the wall or the ceiling. front motor is usually motor #1, rear motor #2, but you could remove both and push in/out the slide, then reattach both.
I did try that, but it would not move. I will get some help and try again. Will I need to do anything else besides unplugging the connectors?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Schwintek videos on override are concerned primarily concerned with retracting the slide, not extension. In addition to removing power from the motor, it must also be lifted clear of the rack to allow the slide to move. Concern may be getting the slide extended and then being able to retract when you want to leave.
(Can anyone explain how to post youtube vid w/o a double entry?.. thanks)
Lippert video:
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Schwintek videos on override are concerned primarily concerned with retracting the slide, not extension. In addition to removing power from the motor, it must also be lifted clear of the rack to allow the slide to move. Concern may be getting the slide extended and then being able to retract when you want to leave.
(Can anyone explain how to post youtube vid w/o a double entry?.. thanks)
Lippert video:
I believe mine slides straight out and is not in a rack.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my Schwintek that wouldn't extend I used the manual override process to energize the motors. It should be described in your manual - the process for my slide was to depress the button in the controller (likely located somewhere in or on your bed frame) 6 times and then depress and hold on the 7th time until the lights begin quick flashing - then use the normal slide operation switch as you need.

This is the same process for retracting a non-functioning slide MINUS the disengagement of the motors.

If this works recommend you retract and extend the slide 3 times to get the motors to retime/synch themselves. If it does not work its beginning to sound like a motor is bad/disconnected (which you're already working on).

Let us know what works - we all learn ...
Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
On my Schwintek that wouldn't extend I used the manual override process to energize the motors. It should be described in your manual - the process for my slide was to depress the button in the controller (likely located somewhere in or on your bed frame) 6 times and then depress and hold on the 7th time until the lights begin quick flashing - then use the normal slide operation switch as you need.

This is the same process for retracting a non-functioning slide MINUS the disengagement of the motors.

If this works recommend you retract and extend the slide 3 times to get the motors to retime/synch themselves. If it does not work its beginning to sound like a motor is bad/disconnected (which you're already working on).

Let us know what works - we all learn ...
I did these steps several times. The right side moves, but not the left side. I have got to put the left motor in "neutral" somehow to push the slide out. I can see the wiring connectors for the motor, but I cannot reach them.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Unless something changes my next step would be to go to CRB and get it repaired. I also have concerns about my other slide. I don't have any faith in any of the local TV shops. It is less than 400 miles away.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Should be worth a phone call to Tiffin on this issue. Winnebago and Schwintek are repairing many of these slides out-of-warranty on our Winnebago/Itasca rigs due to the volume of issues - Tiffin may be your advocate to get the repair done similarly.

There are YouTube videos that describe how to disengage the Schwintek motors - they appear doable for an average DIY guy like me. I haven't done it personally so unable to offer other comments. Good luck ...
Old 08-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

No problem to get that slide out. I had to do it with our full wall slide when we were on the road. Get a length of 4 inch plastic pipe cut to the length of the slide and the other side of the coach. Allow enough room for the scissors jack out of your car and a 2 x 4 on each end. Screw the jack out and the slide should break loose and you should be able to move it almost the whole way just by pushing on it.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
No problem to get that slide out. I had to do it with our full wall slide when we were on the road. Get a length of 4 inch plastic pipe cut to the length of the slide and the other side of the coach. Allow enough room for the scissors jack out of your car and a 2 x 4 on each end. Screw the jack out and the slide should break loose and you should be able to move it almost the whole way just by pushing on it.
Sounds interesting but this old brain cannot visualize exactly what you mean or how to do it.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #13

I actually was afraid of that,,,, The pipe needs to be held horizontally, against the wall that won't go out. You may need help with this but I was able to manage with a bit of duct tape in critical positions. The bottom of the jack goes against the end of the pipe. On our coach, the opposing slide had a wall directly across from the slide wall that would not work. The top of the jack went against the opposing wall, with a 2x4 on the wall to prevent damage, then simply start screwing the jack up. The slide should break loose and in our case, the wife ran the slide control and ran the slide out with the other motor that worked while I pushed the non working end out.There is also a rather easy way to get it back in but lets see if you can get it out first. I know this sounds a bit of a PITA, but when you are in the middle of nowhere and the slides won't move,,, you better have some type of plan. Towels against the woodwork will protect them.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide

« How did you do it? | Has anyone dealt with Bob Ledford's Adventure Motorhomes »