Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Scooter batteries

I have an E Zip 1000 two wheel scooter that uses 3 12V sealed lead acid batteries connected in series to create 36 VDC.
My problem is the batteries only last about two years. I bought three new batteries about four years ago and kept the scooter plugged into the charger when not using the scooter, which sometimes was only once a month.
The next 3 batteries I bought were only plugged into the charger after I used the scooter. I was told to unplug the charger after 1 day or when the charger light blinked green. These batteries only lasted two years also.
I think the batteries should last longer than two years. Am I doing something wrong or should I change my charging schedule?
I'm using Mighty Max batteries ML10-12, which are 12VDC/10ah.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds about right. Two-three years on our scooters is normal. Four years on our Harley bikes is about it as well.

We keep them all on Battery Tenders (smart chargers) all the time we are not riding them. These are small little batteries with small plates.

$25 each isn't a big deal to us. We get way more enjoyment riding them than that!

JMO
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Often, the chargers that come with something like a scooter, are not smart charges. If they're a poor quality charger, they can overcharge and ruin the batteries. You might see if there is a better charger. A quality charger can be left on the scooter, the entire time.

Have you checked to see if you can get a better quality AGM or lithium battery for the scooter?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

Go on EBay and buy 10AH or better yet 20 AH, 36 volt lithium batteries and charger.

I did, years ago, for my EBike and they lasted for 10 years. Still have the batteries, not the bikes.

A 10 AH flooded acid battery isn't much capacity and probably being run down deep and even to 0% capacity most times.
They will live short lives.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
rkf

You might want to use the scooter more the batteries aren’t being used enough. Drain them down
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Those are lead acid batteries and subject to the same deep-discharge abuse as any deep cycle. Dragging them down below 50% charge is really hard on them. My guess is that you run them down to 10-20% charge and then recharge with the inexpensive charger that came with the scooter. Frankly, 2 years is all you can expect in that scenario. Better batteries, e.g. AGM, and a better charger will help somewhat, but those deep discharges are the real killer. Changing to lithium would help with that, but maybe more $$ than you want to invest.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #7

[QUOTE=twinboat;5407221]Go on EBay and buy 10AH or better yet 20 AH, 36 volt lithium batteries and charger.

I did, years ago, for my EBike and they lasted for 10 years. Still have the batteries, not the bikes./QUOTE]
Concur !

Where you able to get a "drop in" replacement or did you have to do modifications ?
Old 08-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #8

[QUOTE=theoldwizard;5408138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Go on EBay and buy 10AH or better yet 20 AH, 36 volt lithium batteries and charger.

I did, years ago, for my EBike and they lasted for 10 years. Still have the batteries, not the bikes./QUOTE]
Concur !

Where you able to get a "drop in" replacement or did you have to do modifications ?
I built the Ebike from a kit. Used 3, 10 AH flooded batteries for the first year and then found a 20 AH lithium that fit in the battery bag.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #9

Thumbs up

DW has a 3 wheel scooter. When the batteries needed replacing a few years ago, I went to Batteries Plus and they had what we needed. Completely sealed and able to be installed in any configuration, even upside down. I could have gone cheaper, but I now have one less worry if the scooter ever tips over. No leaking acid. I seem to think they were around a hundred bucks each. They may be able to do something to help you in your situation.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. I guess I will be content with 2 years since my usage is so hard on the batteries.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
PKI

My experience has been that you have to manage the battery charge state and disconnect when stored. Never discharge below 50%. Always recharge before storage and disconnect from the load while in storage. Install a battery disconnect switch.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, scooter