Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Screen House/Tent??

On our last trip we really enjoyed sitting outside until the bugs run us inside at night. We had the fan, candles, etc. all out, but we could not control the bugs. We saw a couple of the screen tents and we are thinking about getting one of them, but have a few questions. We would want it big enough for 4 chairs and a table plus a fan would need to be somewhere.

1) Do they have floors like tents do?

2) What happens when it rains? It has to get rain all inside that has to be removed somehow.

3) Do these do what I am hoping they will do or are they to big of a hassle to deal with?

4) Any recommendations on brands?

5) Would a tent with several screen openings be better?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

We got ours a Wallmart and comes as two separate purchases. The first part has just the pop up frame with the roof. The second is the screening that goes around the frame and completely encloses it. There is no floor but the screening is long enough that is lays on the ground. Works very well and folds up easily and compactly. It is large enough to put over a pick nick table and still have room to walk around. Would hold four chairs and small table easily. I don't have it here or I would check the exact brand. I think is is 10x10.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I got mine at Sports Authority. It has a nylon roof (water resistant, not water proof) Sides are screen mesh and the bottom has a flap system that allows you to put weight on it and make a tight seal to the ground. 2 doors make entry and exit easy. It will fit over a picnic table or seats. It goes up in less then 5 minutes and take down is the same time. I don't know offhand the brand name though.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
if you get one, get one that has an attached roof, not one that you have to setup the frame then put on the roof.... I got one of those and tired of setting it up

Another way to combat it is follow the cold/cool weather and climb the heights to get above the bugs in Colorado ! (Yes, I'm dreaming of what I want to do !!!)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
On our last trip we really enjoyed sitting outside until the bugs run us inside at night. We had the fan, candles, etc. all out, but we could not control the bugs. We saw a couple of the screen tents and we are thinking about getting one of them, but have a few questions. We would want it big enough for 4 chairs and a table plus a fan would need to be somewhere.

1) Do they have floors like tents do?

2) What happens when it rains? It has to get rain all inside that has to be removed somehow.

3) Do these do what I am hoping they will do or are they to big of a hassle to deal with?

4) Any recommendations on brands?

5) Would a tent with several screen openings be better?

We've been using a screen tent since we started RV'ing in 2001. It's about 10' square. I don't think any of the screen tents have floors because they would fill up with water when it rained! The first one we bought was a nightmare to assemble! We quickly gave it away and found one that has aluminum poles that is very easy to put up. It probably takes us about 5 minutes to put it up! It has two zippered doors, one in the front and one in the back. We put our two recliners inside along with an electric fan. We always put up the tent during the day before the mosquitoes get so bad and keep the doors zipped up to keep them out!
If you camp where the bugs are bad these screen tents are a MUST HAVE in my opinion!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the 10x10 "First Up" awning with the side walls that are removable - from Wal*Mart. It is identical to the Ozark brand unit.

There are MANY to pick from:
Patio, Beach and Backyard Canopies, Outdoor Shelters and Carports - Walmart.com

We use an indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor - it's easier to clean and store.

The "First Up" has a heavy grade roof material, so the mfgt recommends removing the top material (it's on with Velcro) before storage to prevent damage.

Many of our friends have the awnings with lighter roof material that can be stored without removing the roof, but the roof material always tears over-time and because it is so lightweight, really makes a noise in any wind.

We always tell our friends, you get what you pay for. They reply, I can get a new one every year. And ya' know, they are right.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #7

does anyone use those add a rooms that you use with your awning? Im thinking of getting one when we set for a month or two.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

I have been through several screen rooms / sun shelters...

by far Paha Que is the best. Easiest to set up and most durable and is lightweight.

PahaQue's Screenrooms

Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That IS a nice one ! I'd HAVE to use it if I got it
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

"but you get what you pay for."

Agree with this sentiment.

We had a cheap (maybe $50) screen room which we had used for a couple of years.

Last outing, while we were out for the day, had a thunderstorm. On return, the rain had pooled on the roof and the weight had collapsed the structure. It had plastic brackets at the corners that connected the poles. Every one had broken under the strain.

We have been looking at the Patty-O-Room which fits to the existing awning but it requires drilling into the side wall which I am very hesitant about. Plus it won't fit because we have a slide under the awning.

Also looked at the carefree Vacation'r but IMO it looks ugly.

Both of those units have given me ideas so I'm now thinking of fabricating my own... Could be fun!!!
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just got one of these resently...

Ozark Trail Instant 10' x 10' Screen House: Camping : Walmart.com

Pretty simple, sets up quickly...
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Just got one of these resently...

Ozark Trail Instant 10' x 10' Screen House: Camping : Walmart.com

Pretty simple, sets up quickly...
I read the reviews on this one and one person complained about the sides was not long enough to weigh down and keep the buggies out.

Did you have this issue?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We met with friends in muggy MS at the beach a couple of weeks ago & they had the Ozark 10 x 10 which we set up over the picnic table. It went up & down fast. It was long enough to use weight to hold it down. Bugs got in every time we opened it to go in but spray helped. My only complaint was the shape - it rained one evening and the slope allowed the rain to drench any of us sitting at the end of the table. Otherwise, it worked fine and it definitely helped with the bugs - those MS mosquitos are killers!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

We don't have a toad, so we've found a free-standing "gazebo" mesh tent to be a good way of showing that the site is occupied, if we've driven the RV away to go sight seeing. An awning enclosure would not be able to do that.

Tags
scr