Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
PGD

Screws into fiberglass

If you have to remove a screw that was in a fiberglass panel, is there a good way to get the screw to hold again when you put it back into the same hole? I have a Jayco Greyhawk 31FS that came with a dexter keyless entery lock on the door. In order to change the default combination, you have to remove the lock and short out two of the wires. Not very user friendly, or secure in my opinion, but that's another topic. The key pad has a rubber gasket to keep water out and is held in place by two screws into the fiberglass panel of the door. After removing the screws and changing the combination per the instructions, I put the key pad back into the door and put the screws back into the existing holes. The screw on the left is snug, but the one on the left doesn't have much hold. I want to make sure the rubber gasket is tight to keep water out, but I can't put much torque on the screws or they'll just strip out. I was thinking of putting a thin piece of wood on the inside of the door between the outer fiberglass panel and the styrofoam core just to give the screws something to bite into. Just wondering if there are better options for putting screws into existing screw holes in fiberglass.
PGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD View Post
If you have to remove a screw that was in a fiberglass panel, is there a good way to get the screw to hold again when you put it back into the same hole? I have a Jayco Greyhawk 31FS that came with a dexter keyless entery lock on the door. In order to change the default combination, you have to remove the lock and short out two of the wires. Not very user friendly, or secure in my opinion, but that's another topic. The key pad has a rubber gasket to keep water out and is held in place by two screws into the fiberglass panel of the door. After removing the screws and changing the combination per the instructions, I put the key pad back into the door and put the screws back into the existing holes. The screw on the left is snug, but the one on the left doesn't have much hold. I want to make sure the rubber gasket is tight to keep water out, but I can't put much torque on the screws or they'll just strip out. I was thinking of putting a thin piece of wood on the inside of the door between the outer fiberglass panel and the styrofoam core just to give the screws something to bite into. Just wondering if there are better options for putting screws into existing screw holes in fiberglass.
Your idea about a wood backer is as good as any.

Alternatively, try a very slightly larger metric screw.

The trick to getting any screw into an original threaded hole, especially a "soft" material like plastic/aluminum/fiberglass, is to turn the screw backwards by hand (no power tools) while applying slight pressure. This allows you to feel the slight "bump" as it goes up the thread backwards and drops into the original start of the thread. Then tighten by hand.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can get a a piece of wood behind the fiberglass and get a little longer wood screw, I think you should be able to snug it pretty tight. Just don't over tighten as you might strip the wood. You can also try an anchor screw where you drill out the fiberglass a little, insert the sleeve, and then screw into sleeve. It's what most people use when hanging heavy objects on sheetrock.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

I've put a little expoxy or JB Weld into the holes, not much, just enough to fill up the threads a little. Let it dry and put the original screws back in. So far they are holding tight.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

i push some 5 min epoxy in the hole tell full may take many times to get there.... re dill hole smaller .... reinstall screw piece of tap on the back side to stop glue from coming out piece of tap on front side with Chanel in it for glue to flow down in and sand flush many ways to do this
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used plastic anchors on fiberglass after taking screws out. Drill hole a little larger and use the proper size screw for the anchor. Buy them at HD or Lowes.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr