RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sealtech water leak detection

Anybody used Sealtech equipment to find a water leak? I have a roof leak that's driving me nuts! The shower skylight has two layers of plastic. Water is accumulating between the two layers. I have re-sealed the skylight and everything else up there that I think could be causing the leak but can't find it!

https://rvleaks.com/
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Joe I posted about that in your ceiling thread, I think. The SealTech system was used in our new 2005 Grand Junction by the selling dealer.
I had seen water dripping from the top of a rear starboard side window and reported it to the service dept.
The technician located the source of that water leak over 20' from said side window. He stopped and sealed that leak, then continued testing and found 3 more tiny leaks I had not found. He sealed those, which completed the test.
There was never another water intrusion in that 5er while we owned and traveled to Alaska in the trailer.
I have no idea of the cost, it was under factory warranty. Whatever the cost today I am convinced the results are worth the cost.
Call around to locate an authorized user or visit the Sealtech website rvleaks.com
I have no affiliation with SealTech Inc., simply a very satisfied recipient of the results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #3

i used them 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.
took him 20 minutes to find a small leak i had chased for a year
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

Pretty Interesting. I hope you find the leaks Joe.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

Betcha it's coming in under an air conditioner and running to where you're finding it.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
DJJ

I had CW use the Seal Tech equipment on my RV several years ago just to be sure I had no leaks since they only charged 1 hour of labor. They gave me the option of fixing any leaks they found or they would give an estimate. I went to the CW in Kissimmee FL.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
i used them 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.
took him 20 minutes to find a small leak i had chased for a year
What did the test cost?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
I had CW use the Seal Tech equipment on my RV several years ago just to be sure I had no leaks since they only charged 1 hour of labor. They gave me the option of fixing any leaks they found or they would give an estimate. I went to the CW in Kissimmee FL.

Jeff
What did they charge for the test?
Old 10-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is a really weird problem! I seem to have stopped the other leaks in that area, which was bad caulking around the Fantastic fan vent close to the skylight. We had a huge rain yesterday. I have the ceiling opened up and the wood around the vent and skylight is dry, yet there is a lot of water between the two layers of the skylight! I recently re-sealed the skylight with EternaBond tape, caulk, and even a coat of liquid rubber!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

Are you sure there isn't a crack or small hole in the skylight? Probably very easy to miss.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

I had the test done at RV Service in Ashland, VA last week. Total cost out the door with tax was $190.

They identified about five leaks on my rig which has been garaged kept since new in 2006. We were getting water in the front coming out near the center mounted tv. I figured it was the clearance lights and resealed them but the next time we were out in the rain we had water coming in.

Turned out the leak was in the top corner of the windshield. I removed the trim and applied ample urethane sealant across the entire seam which seems to have solved the one issue I was aware of.

I think it was worth it to nail down where the leak was coming from before any damage occurred and also to identify the other area of concern so I can seal now.
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Are you sure there isn't a crack or small hole in the skylight? Probably very easy to miss.
I've checked it closely many times and I can't see anything!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #13

I'm guessing you have butyl tape between the two pieces of Plexiglas for sealing? If so, how otherwise is water getting in, unless its condensation?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I'm guessing you have butyl tape between the two pieces of Plexiglas for sealing? If so, how otherwise is water getting in, unless its condensation?
I have not way to know. The plastic trim piece above the shower is obviously glued in place because I can't pull it down after removing the screws around the edge. That's the only way I see to get access to where the two sections of the skylight join.

Tags
leak, water, water leak, seal