Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
jmo

We just bought a lovely 38' resale park TT on a leased site in a campground. We also have a MH not at the park we enjoy traveling in 6-7 weeks a year. Manager made an interesting comment that campers and seasonals do not mix much on planned activities. Cliquishness (sp).This is a family campground, so variety of ages although my first thought was age differences with regard to activities. I am looking forward to mixing it up this summer season so will be interested to see if I agree with perception. She told me she would be interested in any suggestions I might have since I can relate to both.

Kate

jmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
jmo

We just bought a lovely 38' resale park TT on a leased site in a campground. We also have a MH not at the park we enjoy traveling in 6-7 weeks a year. Manager made an interesting comment that campers and seasonals do not mix much on planned activities. Cliquishness (sp).This is a family campground, so variety of ages although my first thought was age differences with regard to activities. I am looking forward to mixing it up this summer season so will be interested to see if I agree with perception. She told me she would be interested in any suggestions I might have since I can relate to both.

Kate

Old 03-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen this in many places where there is a large seasonal community. Seasonal folks see each other all the time and get quite chummy. They plan events weeks in advance and know who is doing what and when. Itinerant campers will feel like they dropped into a stranger's home when everybody else knows one another and they know nobody. If there is another itinerant camper at the same event, they will gravitate towards each other, since they are both kind of lost and everybody else is chattering away together. It's not really cliqueishness (or at leat not intentional), but it can look and feel that way.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
...If there is another itinerant camper at the same event, they will gravitate towards each other, since they are both kind of lost and everybody else is chattering away together. It's not really cliqueishness (or at leat not intentional), but it can look and feel that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my experience, it wasintentional. One of the campgrounds (the campground has since been demolished to make way for a motel) that we stayed over a winter in Chattanooga (we were in a pop-up with 2 very well-behaved kids) DID NOT want anyone there that wasn't seniors (it was not a senior park, at least not advertised like it), DID NOT want kids around (although the owners nastly little destructive brats were fine... I've never seen a kid tear up a picnic table like they could), DID NOT want us in the laudromat (rude remarks everytime). And acted like we either smelled bad (I don't think so) or they had a problem with their lips and nose. We weren't the only ones. There was a family in a Class C at the same time as us. They got the same treatment. We changed campgrounds before they did to a neighboring campground (Raccoon Mountain Caverns) and they had seasonals but they didn't act that way. Most all the seasonals there had jobs (weren't retires) and there were no park models unlike the other campground. Totally different experience. And no one there minded my legally homeschooled kids (other place always had someone threatening to call the cops on us because my kids (and the other family's legally homeschooled boy) weren't "in school". The odd thing is that Chattanooga has a large "transient" population (in fact the whole state does) that lives in the various campgrounds. Althought when getting recommendations for camprounds to park in for a few months, the first one we stayed at was never mentioned. We quickly figured out why as the bad attitude extended from the residents up to the owners.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Gad! You folks just have to get to Texas!!! We do NOT treat folks that way at all.

We winter in a "Senior 55" park in S Texas.... there are a LOT of park models, mobile homes, 5th wheel, motorhomes. Plus we get folks that are here for a week or so. I don't think anyone has been looked down on - all are welcome and made to feel that way.

Just my view of being around Texas folks for 53 years.

don

(Gilmer, TX - Harlingen in the Winter))
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #6

I think it's the mindset. I have run into this type of intolerance growing up in FL. We just called them "d--- Yankees" (even if they weren't) and ignored them. Now I realize it's just miserable jerks who get their jollies making other people miserable. Same solution, I ignore them and stay far away. I think the ones who end up in park model type places really aren't RVer's and don't understand (nor do they want to). I don't lose sleep over them. Too many places to go and see!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
jmo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We winter in a "Senior 55" park in S Texas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that is what this mgr is picking up on. This is NOT senior park but majority of seasonals are retired. If so, kids are kids, young families are young families...one of the benefits of seasonal lease is you can move. I have met some nice/fun loving folks of all ages so far and that's what many of us(not all) like about campgrounds in the first place. Will be interesting.

Kate

Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #8

As a seasonal camper I am here to say that NOT all seasonals are that way There is a large group of us in the campground (54 sites ) in a nice sized campgrounds up here in Minnesota There are older folks familyes with kids of all ages and people like my DW and I 'just us Yes we are all much more freindly with each other verses the ave campers who come in for the nite or weekend 'but we are around even when it rains or the weather isn't the best so good luck with your seasonal camping and have fun

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #9

This is one of the main reasons I like to stay at COE and State/county parks, NO PERMS! Although Alabama's Lake Gunter park allows PERMS, they keep them seperated. Personally, I would like the park owners to desiginate on their info the number of sites broken down into Perm sites, monthly sites and short term sites and etc. I have stayed in several parks that was just like staying in a mobil home park. These residents just have different interest from the "campers", so I usually avoid these type of "CGs" if possible. I stayed at a "Resort" (another misnomer for most parks) in San Antonio. About 60 to 70 percent were perms ranging from Mobil homes to 1910 winnabagos, many with blue tarps ( and they probably drank box wine). Some times, when you are on the road, there is little choice, so we stay at one of these places, but it is not our favorite. s/Toby
Old 03-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #10

:computer The campground we have our seasonal site at allows only campers that are 5 year old or newer in the perminant sites there is no garbage there The same can not be said for some of the rigs that come and camp on the weekends But I say as long as they are safe ,at least they are camping and thats what matters I have camped at other cg that had a very diverse group of campers parked in their perm sites so I do understand what you are saying

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
jmo

Certainly getting all different responses. Seasonals and campground are seperate at our place. Pool at both. I have seen no one or site that is undesireable. Some older trailers but well kept property. Limit on how many months you can lease. The application to lease at this place had what I thought was a little much of a background check...done by a natl security company. BUT I can now see where it is important. I can see how many neighbors with location and things in common bond on seasonal site much like many neighborhoods. We have a marina and boat slips which is a big draw. Very big boating and fishing area. I have found so far most people are doing exactly what we are doing...loving the get-away from jobs, routine. Maybe a few have spoiled it for many because I see no difference in mh camping and our lil park trailer. People, campfires, activities, swimming, boating...I don't get it.

Maybe its a good thing to talk about. You can't always tell a book by its cover. I plan to spend time at both pools this summer and expect to meet a lot of interesting people.

We were camping in Myrtle Beach one Easter break and near tent section. One of the teens camping with family asked one of our boys over to campfire and hot dog roasting. He went then came home and got us ... said family was hesitant to intrude on somehome in MH we were new to MHing and really taken back by comment. Lovely group...sons all scouts, we stayed for hours as Ed was a scoutmaster years ago and wife and I hit it off as her employment same as mine had been before retirement. They said they had been put-off before so were careful.

I say enjoy...and move on if you don't,

Kate

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
jmo

I found the answer, it's jealousy

Being both MHers when we can travel and seasonals to a park trailer for weekend get-aways ... I was down there for this past beautiful weekend. Ed was working and could not go, no problem...nice, easy, 2 hour car ride, neighbors to socialize with...lovely.

Yep, us campers are just jealous

Kate

Kate