Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lock the grill to the table it's on and bikes are put under the bedroom slide and locked together, chairs under the MH to keep dry. Only thing I have ever had stolen was a TPMS tire sensor.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #58

Lost 1 item in 30 years

20 years of tenting and 10 years of RV use, about 1,500 nights in a sleeping bag in all, and the only item that has gone amiss was my first pink plastic flamingo that I had for more than 20 years. BLM, Forest Service, State and National parks have never yielded a loss. But one of the six times I have stayed in a commercial campground and my friend “Steve” went missing. As others have said, follow your gut on your surroundings, but you will be surprised at the number of fellow campers who are aware of anyone in your site that doesn’t seem to belong and are willing to say something, at least to you. I treasure the camping community and consider most campers as representatives of the best citizens of our nation. The day I don’t feel this to be true is the day I hang up my boots. Welcome, newbie, and put your faith in karma.
gracelandone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #59

National RV Owners Club
First off...don’t be sorry, newbie. We all started the same way. In my experience, people that camp (and those that boat as well) are generally good family types that watch out for each other. Only once did we have a bike stolen and it wasn’t by a fellow camper. Seems a nearby neighborhood had some kids that would regularly raid the campground (Smith Point on Long Island) for bikes they could sell. We were lucky to act as soon as we noticed the theft and found the bike—minus all identifying stickers etc.—in the recovered property room at the park police station. That didn’t make us start locking things up at night. We prefer to believe that people are inherently honest...because we are as well.
RnDJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzumer View Post
Funny this comes up now. Soon we're headed to one of CA's most popular beach sites, Seacliff by Santa Cruz/Monterey, that books out their sites within seconds after opening reservation times!
There's a public walkway just feet in front of all the rigs at the park and the ocean. Several people we know have had beer-laden ice chests stolen, and lately more spendy items also. When you get a reservation, a window pops up and tells you there has been increased theft around the park with the warning to put valuables away when you're not there! That's not stopping us from going because it's such a fabulous place to camp, but we will for the first time ever be putting valuables away at night. Normally I would not stay at a place I had to worry about these types of issues, but since getting a reservation is so hard to do we're going anyway!
Sorry but NOPE! I'm flat out not interested in taking my Family to a place that I know ahead of time, has an ongoing problem like this. It's sad that it's happening in the first place but making things worse is knowing the campground isn't taking care of the problem.

Are campsites at Seacliff really $65 per night?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #61

Forest River Owners Club
Remember that most bay doors all use the same key.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up Better to be safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Newbie...sorry! When staying at an RV park or camp ground do you breakdown everything nightly?. Meaning if you have a table, chairs, grill, etc. Do you leave them out, lock them in your bays, lock them together with a cable or do nothing? Thanks in advance.
When I setup the first day, I run a cable through my BBQ, BBQ Table, Chairs and small table, each evening I run a second cable through our bicycles. When we take our golf cart, I put a cable and lock on it because I saw where golf carts were stolen on regular basis in lots of parks.

My thought is; WHY take a chance when it is easy to put locking gear to protect your property, thus it is better to be safe than sorry!
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation But you can change that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
Remember that most bay doors all use the same key.
Most bays use the same key code but you can take them out and take to a good locksmith and have them changed to a new one, one that no one else has and it is not that costly to do so................
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #64

in all my years boon docking. only know of one attempt, (crow bar to one outside cargo door). and "heard in talk" about a couple others.

simple, leave nothing out you can not live without. what must be outside, chain and bolt up.

locks keep the honest.... honest.

crooks still get into things. but if unseen they do not know about it.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #65

We wondered that too when we first started. Anything expensive or personally valuable I bring in but chairs, small table and BBQ stat out. They aren’t really expensive and in our class B it’s nice to have them out when we leave the campground (more space in the van). If someone stole them I would have an excuse to upgrade...

I do lock up my surge protector because it’s expensive. However as mentioned above it just keeps the honest honest... if someone really wanted it, it would be super easy to cut the cable and steal it. I go camping to relax and don’t worry about it.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:23 AM   #66

If I catch you stealing anything from our campground you will have a hard time picking your nose or wiping your behind. Nothing makes me madder than a thief.

To the scum who recently stole my bike from the Biloxi campground last month.....I hope you rot in hell. SCUM
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
Most bays use the same key code but you can take them out and take to a good locksmith and have them changed to a new one, one that no one else has and it is not that costly to do so................
Cheaper usually just to buy new lock cylinders.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:14 AM   #68

Just curious, has anyone had their bid doors opened by someone stealing something who had a key identical to theirs.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Newbie...sorry! When staying at an RV park or camp ground do you breakdown everything nightly?. Meaning if you have a table, chairs, grill, etc. Do you leave them out, lock them in your bays, lock them together with a cable or do nothing? Thanks in advance.
We've only ever once been in a campground that we had to stand guard all night - I should have known because the name of the campground is/was "**** Auto Court and Trailer park. Behind the Auto Court was a small campground with Semi Trailers lining the entire campground. Anyway - Closed and locked all bays, secured all articles and kept my Security item close at hand.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #70

Never

In 40+ years camping I’ve never had anything stolen, never seen anything stolen, never talked to anyone in a CG that had anything stolen. Hope I never feel compelled to stay anywhere I didn’t feel perfectly safe.
We do this because we love it!
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote