Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Securing items in a french door residential refrigerator

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new coach that has a residential french door refrigerator. My question is how do you secure items inside the fridge for travel? Our current coach has the standard gas/electric RV refrigerator that I use the "spring bars" to keep stuff wedged inside while on the road. These french door models are so wide, I'm not sure if they make anything that will expand out that far.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #2

Buy more food! You could use shallow bins to keep some like items. We used one to hold lunch fixins'..... just pulled out the bin and everything was right there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

While don’t have the larger French door fridge we use Tupperware type square plastic containers to put stuff in
Old 06-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yup...small plastic bins of assorted sizes.
Can also put a bungee cord around the handles...some folks have had the doors open on turns.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Everything goes either in the door shelves or inside the drawers on ours. If stuff has to go on the shelves, we do the same as others: set contents inside storage containers I've lined up inside.

On the other hand, I guess our coach is pretty stable. I had set a tumbler (minus the lid) with iced coffee in it on an empty shelf to keep cold while we broke camp. I forgot it was in there before we left. We had several turns to get out of the park, multiple bouncy bridge transitions, pot holes, stops/starts at lights...etc. on the way home. When I opened the fridge door after we got home, there it was. Still upright on the shelf & it hadn't moved a inch nor was any coffee spilled. WHEW!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here is what I use to keep the doors shut:
Door lock for travel
https://www.recubed.solutions

Works great!
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Surprisingly, we don't get much movement. I have one of those trays that holds 12 sodas on their side. I have two other clear plastic trays, about 6" x 9" x 2" tall. The two trays hold condiments so they don't move around. Heavy items like milk jugs go in the doors. I also store things like salad dressing (which are tall and fall over easy) in the doors. Thing that are large and flat, like bread, veggies trays etc, get stored on the shelves.

We always open the doors slowly after travel, but rarely have anything move around.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #8

we really don't do anything special and haven't had a problem. the two doors have molded shelves that hold lots of things like milk, mayonaise jars, other condiments, bottled water, etc. there are two drawers for fruit and vegetables plus a deli drawer for all the meats, cheeses, etc. what is normally left on the shelves are things like bread, bagels, beer or sodas (leave them in the packaging that they came in), or perhaps leftovers in tupperware type containers.

now it is important to secure the doors. guess what happens when you have a watermelon sitting on a refrigerator shelf and you forgot to secure the door? we have factory installed bungie type straps that go across the front of refrigerator to hold the doors closed and we added a velcro strap that we wrap around the handles.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #9

Fill it with beer. Good Lord People
Old 06-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #10

we use a short ball bungee cord. One end slips through the handles and loops over the ball. fast and easy but works great.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks so much guys for the information! I think like most of y'all, I won't have a problem with stuff moving around as the fridge in this coach in located in the mid-coach. We currently have a french door fridge in our sticks & brinks and the door and drawer storage is awesome.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

Like others, we use spring loaded curtain rods. We've also found that if you place the door shelves in the right place they also hold things in place on the refer shelves when the doors are closed.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Here is what I use to keep the doors shut:
Door lock for travel
https://www.recubed.solutions

Works great!
X2 !!!

The "Fridge Fixer" WORKS Every Time!!!
I tried all the "Rube Goldberg" methods of keeping the doors closed on our Sammy 18..(including the bungie cords & "Horse shoe")..results were "Close but No Cigar"
As for keeping things on the shelf.. haven't had any issues... If I did would hot glue a vinyl "L" strip to the outside edge of the shelves or use the expanded & rubberized tool box liners.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Like others, we don't see many things moving around inside our refrigerator. Ours, which is a Whirlpool, has a door locking tab that keeps the doors from opening. To be safe we will sometimes use Tupperware bins.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, ems, refrigerator, residential refrigerator