Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Securing table to slide wall?

We renovated our "new" RV and took it on our first substantial roadtrip (AZ to NC to FL and back to AZ).

We knew the table would likely shift so we tried a few different methods (strapping the chairs and table together, propping a 2x6 under the table top and clamping to the underside of table) but still had shifting especially when the RV "jumped" over bumps.

We're still new to RV's. Anyplace we tried to tap into the slide wall (for hanging curtains) we hit metal once we got through the wall paneling. We ended up using an epoxy to attach the curtain rods.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to secure the table better? It IS heavy. We knew this going in. We did remove a heavy cabinet that had been in the slide. The tabletop is granite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210705_125925 - lo res.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	344094  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #2

Your renovation is beautiful!!! Would never know it's 19 yr. old.

If the top is granite you sure wouldn't want it tipping over and cracking or damaging the floor, etc. Hope someone comes along with a good idea.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Thank you!!
I hope so too.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #4

I had a similar problem when we replaced the fold-out sofa (which had been screwed to the floor) in the back bunk room with a futon from Wayfair.

I used some tie down straps and bungee cords wrapped around the legs.
Worked great.

Your situation is a little different.
My futon has a low CG and not all that heavy and the tie downs are pretty much hidden in the carpet.

I'm thinking along the lines of some tie down eyes along the edge of the wall.
And under the table top as well, maybe at the top of the pedestal leg.
Small ratchet straps, or bungees, or both, to hold the table in place.

Your renovation looks amazing and I know your probably not wanting to mar the look of your flooring with a bunch of tie down eyes.
However, these are common in a lot of RVs to tie things down.
We had a 5ver once and this was how the two rocker-recliners were held down when traveling.

But that table looks very top heavy.
Not even sure if the tie down screws would even hold up over time.

The simplest solution I see is to flip the table over on a thin rug or pad.
Then only a few tie downs and straps would be needed.

Hope this helps.
Let us know what you figure out.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
An eye bolt or something similar through the floor with washer and nut on the bottom (under the floor) - that will give you holding strength. Put one on each side just under the edge of the table near the outside wall. Paint them black or another dark color and they won't be too noticeable.
On a travel day put a ratcheting strap over the top of the table to keep it from tipping, with a towel under the strap to protect the table top. And probably a towel between table and wall to keep it from banging the wall.
Put another strap around the base of the table to keep it from 'walking' out.
Both sets of straps hook to the same eye bolts.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2roll View Post
The tabletop is granite.
That base looks awfully small for such a heavy top. I agree, flip it over when travelling. Why granite for an RV in the first place?
Old 09-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
Community Moderator

That does look like a heavy table with that top. With that being said I would be concerned trying to secure it to the wall. As you said you hit metal, which is how the wall frames are built in allot of these things. Being that once you get the table in the spot you want, not moving around from day to day, you may want to consider going thru the legs into the floor with short wood screws.
But since it is in a slide be mindful of the length of the screws so the screws will not damage the flooring.

Any concerns go to a dealership and just do walk-thru and see how they secure the tables.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #8

If you don't want to screw table base to floor . I say a couple marine cam locks to wall and under table add a couple small rubber cabinet bumpers.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide