Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #1

Security Camera-Battery Powered

I would put this in the technology section but it's not really an RV system.
I'm looking for a battery powered, motion activated camera system that will record on a flash card of some sort.
The increase in new people of all sorts buying RV's, along with the Covid 19 situation, has made it even harder to get a spot at a decent park. Many have turned into more of a permanent trailer park and the crime in these areas has gone up.
Several friends have reported things stolen from their spot for the first time in years of camping.
I don't want anything that requires WiFi or even Bluetooth. In the event something is missing I can review the card to see if the culprits can be identified.
Some have recommended a game or trail camera but I would also like thoughts on something like the Blink cameras.
TIA.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Read the reviews on some of these cameras first. I considered a Blink until I read the reviews. I too am looking for cameras but would prefer one that records to an NVR. They need to be wireless. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think it’s a good idea, but after my experience in Memphis last year, I also want bluetooth for monitoring so I can see what I’m getting in to before I respond to a situation.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Read the reviews on some of these cameras first. I considered a Blink until I read the reviews. I too am looking for cameras but would prefer one that records to an NVR. They need to be wireless. Chuck
That's why I'm considering a trail camera. I have several friends who use them at their hunt camps.
They say the pictures are goo but don't recommend using the video option.
None of them has used one that uses cell towers to view remotely though.
I just want some pictorial proof to show law enforcement for identification if something is taken.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Bluetooth doesn't monitor beyond a very short range of the camera. You need a wifi-enabled camera and then you need wifi in the coach. With recording capability, you will be able to review after you return to the coach. Some wifi cameras have cloud storage but you still need a wifi connection. It gets complicated which is why I am still looking. Chuck
Old 07-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems that unless you are monitoring real time (like a Ring camera) all a trail cam setup would do for you is affirm when someone made off with your stuff.

I've used networked security cameras using image detection that activates on movement or a change in the scene (like a Ring) and it can stream over a wifi hub (no internet required but will use it if you have it). After a while though it gets old to have your computer or phone ding-dong with every bird or wind blown branch that moves setting it off. Plus even if you see something happening, unless you're right there to head them off about all you'll have is a video of your stuff disappearing. If something is valuable, a steel cable around it works 24/7 and requires no monitoring. I use a dog tether cable snaked through stuff and locked with a small padlock. All the security you need just needs to be a little better than what your neighbor has..

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I don't want anything that requires WiFi or even Bluetooth. In the event something is missing I can review the card to see if the culprits can be identified.
Some have recommended a game or trail camera but I would also like thoughts on something like the Blink cameras.
TIA.
My guess is that you've already considered an Arlo Go camera but figured I'd throw it out as one option: https://amzn.to/305fWWR

It has the obvious downside of requiring a data plan, but because it doesn't require wifi, it sounds like one solution that could potentially fit your needs if money is no object.
empirenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirenine View Post
My guess is that you've already considered an Arlo Go camera but figured I'd throw it out as one option: https://amzn.to/305fWWR

It has the obvious downside of requiring a data plan, but because it doesn't require wifi, it sounds like one solution that could potentially fit your needs if money is no object.
And a 3-star rating. Chuck
Old 07-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The better dash cams have motion detection, night vision, record to SD memory and can be re positioned to almost anywhere one has 12v access. They won’t “phone home” though. The other major fault is they can easily be taken once the thief is inside!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #10

I always used trail cameras. The ones I have record to a SD card. I can set them to video or several selections of still shots and they do well at night with their IR ability.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #11

JohnH12, we were broken into at a storage lot, Christmas Eve 4 years ago. I know this isn't what you are looking at, but we added a Verizon MiFi, Simplisafe with door switches on all doors and a Wyze cam. They may still break in, but we will know and have photos from the cloud to show the law. Just 2 AGM batteries and a single solar panel keeps everything running since our lot doesn't have power.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200713-220524~2.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	293046
Old 07-14-2020, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I always used trail cameras. The ones I have record to a SD card. I can set them to video or several selections of still shots and they do well at night with their IR ability.
Thanks.
What cameras are you using?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

The last camera that I purchased was a Browning Strike Force 850 HD. It's several years old now and has worked flawlessly.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
The last camera that I purchased was a Browning Strike Force 850 HD. It's several years old now and has worked flawlessly.
Thanks.

Tags
battery, camera, power