Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good advice already given. Trust your instincts, be aware of your environment and if you are not comfortable somewhere, move to another location. We travel with two dogs who will bark if someone knocks. We have pepper spray and I carry it when I am walking the dogs if we are overnighting in a Walmart, Sam's or Lowe's lot. We also exercise our 2nd Amendment rights. We watch out for one another.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

I am always packing my 2nd Amend rights. I trust very few people outside the campground. We're living in a different world and I want to always be ready to protect my family and even YOU if I need to.

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good advice previously given. I also am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment and pack accordingly as were my grandfather and father before me.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #18

A three part plan of well esablished parks, 2 big dogs and our 2nd Amendment rights has never steered us wrong...
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #19

We've never had an issue. We've camped in BLM land, parking lots, rest areas, truck stops and (of course) campgrounds and parks. We had two good-sized dogs. We have guns, but only sometimes carry them with us.

I agree with others - be aware of your surroundings, don't open the door for or talk to strangers.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #20

We only boondock and only have had a few instances of perceived danger and one instance that did not fully develop. Carrying a firearm for security is a good idea, the wife nor I wish to be ordered around at gunpoint.
One afternoon we stopped for lunch along a remote river location, that was next to a fish counter. The game warden stopped by to read the data and we conversed as he worked. After finishing his job he asked if we were armed and I replied yes. He said, "Good, I don't like to see campers in this area unarmed because there has been drug activity near here". With that, I said we will move on and he suggested some areas without problems.
One night in a storm so severe, I decided to pull off where there was a very wide shoulder to wait it out. This location was in a remote area. I noticed a car parked as we pulled in and a few minutes later a loud rapping at the door. I turned on the porchlight and slid a window open, standing away from the opening and let him walk into my view. He said he needed a ride, because his car broke down. I tried to analyze his demeanor and took a chance, not wanting to leave him out in the middle of nowhere. Cell phones were not widely used at this time. Before letting him in my brother armed himself, opened the door and then sat in the dinette, while I also armed, sat in the drivers seat and asked our passenger to sit in front. We kept our weapons concealed. Shortly after pulling out on the road our ears stood up when the rider declared that he was driving back from the mental hospital when his car failed. We calmed a little after he said he was visiting someone there. He turned out to be a good coversationalist and we dropped him off at the next town where he lived. He was so very appreciative to us, for the rescue from his situation that night. Today I would use a cell phone and call for help.
We have had other rv owners ask if they can park near us at night, for the benefit of security in numbers, which we welcomed.
If a stranger knocks on your door don't stand in front of it, they may discharge a weapon right through the door. Never turn your interior lights on and extinguish them if an unknown guest comes calling. Try to position your vehicle where there is an avenue for egress. Study the area before nightfall if you have the opportunity. A dog is the best early warning device. Cats work too if you watch their behavior. Ours lay on the dash at night and if they hear or see something they don't like, they quickly dive off.
Well, that is what we do when boondocking, perhaps someone can add or improve our techniques. If you stay in a campground you will be much safer.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #21

I'm more concerned at the rest areas and truck stops than at the camp grounds under normal circumstances. But like what others have already said......I always have something within reach that makes a loud bang. Also at night as we head for bed, I'm always ready to depart the camp ground in a quick fashion for weather or safety reasons. This means I never keep my rig hooked to the water or sewer and I try to keep the toad lined up and ready to hook up quickly. However, I'm prepared to leave the toad behind if I have to.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone installed something like this:

available here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2PYX5RNRBZMR8P

My thought would be to mount it outside near the entry door connected to a switch inside. If, at any time during a late night conversation through the door, I became uncomfortable with the direction the conversation was moving, a simple activation of the strobe might temporarily destroy the visitors night vision, giving me a temporary advantage.

It could be a a way to indicate to the visitor that he/she is unwelcome without doing any permanent harm to them. They may take that level of confrontation escalation as an indication that you've given some forethought to the situation and that you may be prepared to escalate the confrontation further in ways they won't like.

Of course, if the situation warrants escalation to a level that does do permanent physical harm in order to neutralize an imminent threat, the strobe light shouldn't diminish the effectiveness of other remedies. From inside looking out, I'd think the strobe could effectively illuminate a target without blinding you.

Also, I'd expect that a flashing strobe would be an easy locating beacon for friendly assistance. It might even be useful during a medical emergency to assist the first responders in locating you in a campground.

Just wondering if anyone else has installed something like this?

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #23

I've never seen one of those. I do carry a flash light that has a built in "Tazer" when I walk around at night checking my tires
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
Community Moderator

I have four of these at my sticks and bricks house. They work great and are solar powered. At night they look like some sort of alarm system....bad guys are spooked because most have never seen something like this before.

I was thinking this would be good to attach to all four corners of the RV. Could easily be attached with heavy duty Velcro since they are self contained and no holes to drill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441644734.716062.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	106156
Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only once have I ever been a bit concerned for our safety. We stopped for lunch at a roadside turnout outside of Cortez, CO. While we were eating our sandwiches I noticed a car with a woman inside parked about 300' away, which I thought was a bit odd.
Suddenly two cars pulled in, one did a circle around the motorhome and took up position between us and the woman. The other pulled up next to the woman's car and gave her a small package. All three left in different directions.
This was obviously a drug buy. The whole thing was over in 30 seconds or less. My wife and I looked at each other and I asked her, "What just happened?" The guy who pulled in between us and the woman was obviously an enforcer or lookout.
Just be aware of your surroundings and be ready to leave if things don't seem right. In this incident it was over so quickly we didn't even have time to react.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #26

Use common sense and instinct. If it doesn't feel right move on. In 8+ years we have had one incident. Pas handled twice in a parking lot early AM. First guy I spoke thru the window and he moved on. Same morning a Gal who approached me, not Ron ,as we were checking lights in prep for leaving. I truly believe she did have a car issue and gave her advice on how to get local help.
Second amendment rights are a personal choice, we have felt very comfortable not exercising our so that's up to you. We never walk away from our rig a rest stops etc with out the door locked, even if just taking a walk around. Same at fuel stops. Ron fuels and if I have to leave the rig door is locked. If we are sitting inside having lunch etc in those situation we still lick the door
Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
How many have had an actual incident in their RV unit where there was a potentially serious condition?

More so than the potential for drive by shooting, theft, drug buy, panhandler etc while at the shopping mall/grocery store or at home?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
How many have had an actual incident in their RV unit where there was a potentially serious condition?

More so than the potential for drive by shooting, theft, drug buy, panhandler etc while at the shopping mall/grocery store or at home?
Good question. In our 16 years of full-timing and being around other full-timers there has not been one instance of concern and we all get in some pretty remote places. None of us 'carry' either.
Closed Thread