Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

See US in a 30’ TT...crazy?

Mid 50s couple and our lab, retired, thankfully healthy and active. Complete RV newbies but have towed med size boats for years.

We want to see the US a few weeks to a month at a time. Focusing on Natl Parks. Maybe a month in FLA watching Phillies spring training.

Thinking a 30’ 7500#gvwr travel trailer behind a 100% capable and comfortable 3/4 ton pickup.

So are we going to hate it?

Fwiw, we really like the Grand Design 2600RK but could easily be talked into one of the GD, or Jayco, or ?, smallish 5ers.

Fire away! (and thanks)
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Not crazy at all...Go for it!!!!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

No Crazy

Lucky to have the opportunity, just remember to take your time and enjoy it
itaylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Mid 50s couple and our lab, retired, thankfully healthy and active. Complete RV newbies but have towed med size boats for years.

We want to see the US a few weeks to a month at a time. Focusing on Natl Parks. Maybe a month in FLA watching Phillies spring training.

Thinking a 30’ 7500#gvwr travel trailer behind a 100% capable and comfortable 3/4 ton pickup.

Fwiw, we really like the Grand Design 2600RK but could easily be talked into one of the GD, or Jayco, or ?, smallish 5ers.

Fire away! (and thanks)
Myself I like 5th wheels best. Much easier to tow, more storage and often a better floor plan. Have fun.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Myself I like 5th wheels best. Much easier to tow, more storage and often a better floor plan. Have fun.
My research tells me you are very correct and that a 5er, even a small one, will make for a much better experience - especially for what we plan to do.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

We met a young couple on our November trip that were doing it in a Honda Fit with no trailer! They were 4 months into a US tour.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Mid 50s couple and our lab

Fire away! (and thanks)
Make sure you get a GOOD weight distribution hitch. Don't scrimp here. It's probably the most important towing add on you can get. Make sure that the shop knows how to set it up correctly. I had a Reese "Dual Cam" system that I kept thru 3 TTs. Just let it go when we moved up to the coach. Read up on these load distribution hitches and watch some YouTube videos of the proper setup. My TT was as easy to handle as any 5th wheel.

Sudsy
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

I'd recommend a 5th wheel rather than a trailer. You'll have a lot more storage space and very steady on the highway.

Many full-timers, traveling constantly, have a much small RV than 30'. You'll do just fine.... if you really like each other!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
...if you really like each other!
Oh...wait...never thought about that part.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

It all depends. if you are the type that gets to a site to unhook and hook up all the amenities (water sewers) then hides till they are ready to unhook and leave, you will need a much larger unit.
if you are the type that gets to a site, unhooks etc and enjoys the outdoors using the trailer as a spot to sleep and maybe hide from bad weather, perfect enjoy
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Count me with those who think you will be just fine, and love it.

What you are thinking about is much like what we did from '78 to '94, while I was working, in a 11.5' TC for 1 month stints each year. That was for the long trips, there were many shorter trips each year. There is a lot more room in a 30' TT than our 11.5 TC, but it worked just fine for us. After retirement we used it on 1-3 month trips until we got the MH a few years ago.

The best thing about doing what you are planning, IMHO, is that you are young enough to hike, bike, or whatever physical activity you choose to participate in. I'm learning that doesn't last forever. Make the most of it while you can.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:

Fire away! (and thanks)
We did it in a 17', only 6.5 feet wide. Longest trip was 8 weeks. Covered 40 plus states over a period of 4 years. Small dog and usually a cat.

Just take your time, stay 2 or 3 nights or more in an area, keep short travel days, enjoy. Spend some time outdoors so you don't get cabin fever.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #13

Great feedback, everyone. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We can handle 4-6 weeks at a time in our 24’ travel trailer. Long than that and I start missing things that couldn’t fit in the storage. You should have no problems with a 30’. The only issue to be aware of is the size of most National Park campsites. Not all will hold a 30’ trailer. There are close by places if you can’t fit inside the park though.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote