Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #1

Seeking Reliable Used Rv

I just joined and need help deciphering between several brands of used RVs. I am seeking a used RV that has an engine easy to find parts for and get repaired if needed, solid chasis, 40 foot or under, class A, deisel, no slides bcs view those as problematic in the year/budget I am seeking (aprx $60k budget). My considerations have been Country Coach (Affinity), Monaco (Crown Royal, Dynasty), Bluebird (Wanderlodge) w Series 60 engines only, Foretravel, and Prevost (post 1994 w Series 60) to some degree albeit more than I want to spend on my first coach. I find one I like then read a post that tubulars rusted and batt or LP tank fell thru — or — engine parts hard to find along w/ tech support to service the engine, etc. I’ll appreciate advice about the brands I have listed and reality of getting a circa 1998 coach that will serve me well . Am I trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with my expectations and budget? Headed for a disaster? Tks in advance.
RV Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. You have set yourself up for quite the search. You may want to check out the vintage RV forums here for info and a place to ask questions
Vintage RV's - iRV2 Forums
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #3

Hard to find a coach with no slides unless you go with the mid to late 90’s or earlier. We have a Beaver and it’s good quality. Regarding motors.... mostly CAT or Cummins, take your pick. I have had both with no complaints.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've owned my 2002 Windsor since 2008, it as been relatively trouble free. I would not discount an quality built Class A with slides.

It has 2 slides that have not really had any issues other then the time I forgot to move a rug and jambed the front slide causing the motor to fail, which I had to replace, but then later tore the old one apart and got it workin. The electric slide may be easier to repair then a hydraulic, fairly simple design and fairly robust.

My engine is a Cummins 350 ISC. It is fairly common and most truck shops can work on them. Parts are still available.

For ~$60K you can find a nice older Monaco that still has lots of use left in it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Engines as far as I can see are Cummins or CAT, as for parts availability I got the starter motor replaced in my '98 Monaco with a Cummins within 24 hours in Holland a few days before Christmas (which is much bigger thing over here than the US), seems like pretty good parts availability, I'd be surprised if CAT was any worse.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Gato View Post
I just joined and need help deciphering between several brands of used RVs. I am seeking a used RV that has an engine easy to find parts for and get repaired if needed, solid chasis, 40 foot or under, class A, deisel, no slides bcs view those as problematic in the year/budget I am seeking (aprx $60k budget). My considerations have been Country Coach (Affinity), Monaco (Crown Royal, Dynasty), Bluebird (Wanderlodge) w Series 60 engines only, Foretravel, and Prevost (post 1994 w Series 60) to some degree albeit more than I want to spend on my first coach. I find one I like then read a post that tubulars rusted and batt or LP tank fell thru — or — engine parts hard to find along w/ tech support to service the engine, etc. I’ll appreciate advice about the brands I have listed and reality of getting a circa 1998 coach that will serve me well . Am I trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with my expectations and budget? Headed for a disaster? Tks in advance.
My Beaver has one slide, but it does not impact the usability of the coach when it is in. So you could get a coach, early 2000's or late 90's and not use the slide.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

I will open my search up to include slides. Thank you for your responses thus far.
RV Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Regardless of what you look at or are interested in buying be sure there are complete service records on the coach. You need to know the history of problems the coach has had as well as the consideration given to maintenance schedules.
No records available, walk away. Someone is hiding something IMO.
First time buy you may want to reconsider and look at some gas powered coaches. As nice as most DP's but much less money. More apt to find a coach without slides also. A whole lot cheaper to repair if a major power train issue pops up too. Most maintenance you can do yourself.
Lynn
Old 11-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #9

There should be several Bluebirds in your price range. I used to own one and they are top notch coaches.

https://www.buybyebluebird.com/
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having RV'd since 1973 in TT, Gas MH and now my first DP - new and used, and based on your search criteria I strongly, I mean strongly recommend you start with a Gasser or TT. Lower cost, lower maintenance cost as you can do almost everything yourself and you can get a newer model. Just my suggestion but which ever way you go, prepare for the worse case scenario because problems happen then go forth with joy in your new lifestyle.

Richard
Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
There should be several Bluebirds in your price range. I used to own one and they are top notch coaches.

https://www.buybyebluebird.com/
Several good buys on that site
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Gato View Post
You will not not find a Prevost for that price... plus a Prevost has close to that price just in their ac systems. They were my first choice. I had to settle for some thing other.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote