Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Question Seems a little costly

I have always thought going on a caravan trip with other happy campers would be great fun. I found one that looked great, it is 19 days and 900 miles into Mexico exploring the Copper Canyon area. Turns out this trip is about $5000.00 plus fuel and most food. While it looks like a fun time it really seems expensive, or is it just my "old" thinking. Let me know about your experiences with this type of trip.
Cecil Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Same here. I do think $5000 is a lot to be part of a Caravan, but I've never been on one. We used to go into Baja by ourselves or with 1 or 2 other vehicles, but it was a lot safer then.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Hard to envision it being that good.

It is about the same as 7 months in a few really nice RV resorts.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Need to know what is included. Does it include a ride on the train - if so first class on the best train will cut out a fair bit of that $5000. Any other entrance fees, tolls, ferry rides.

We were in a RV park in Mexico when a caravan rolled in. Much hustle and bustle over a couple of hours and when they were settled , the waggon master called a meeting. 50 people obediently sitting in a big circle. Loud speech over a tinny PA system that went on forever and then - the bingo game started and went on for the next hour. Welcome to Mexico suckers.

The only thing in Mexico that will bring you unstuck is the $%##@#*& topes. Millions of them on the secondary roads and hit one at 60mph and your axle count will decrease by at least one.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Fen View Post
I have always thought going on a caravan trip with other happy campers would be great fun. I found one that looked great, it is 19 days and 900 miles into Mexico exploring the Copper Canyon area. Turns out this trip is about $5000.00 plus fuel and most food. While it looks like a fun time it really seems expensive, or is it just my "old" thinking. Let me know about your experiences with this type of trip.
Cecil Fen
That's $263.16 a day!
You can have "fun" for a lot less.
BTW, if you ever find ANYTHING RV related that seems other than "PRICEY" post it everywhere.
I would like to hear about it, (I've seen nothing like that and I've been RVing for nearly 30 years).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

We went on a 13 day tour with Fantasy Tours in Wyoming. It was good and it was bad, like everything else. We paid $3200. Looking at all their tours they range in cost from $200-$250 a day. They provide a meal everyday, sightseeing in large buses and activities like a float trip, museums, guides, rodeo etc. Everyday was busy, busy, busy. Is it right for you? Some people buy time shares and others wouldn't touch one, same with condo RV sites. We did get to socialize for two weeks with the same people which might be good for FTs.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Check the manufacturer of your rig for a camping club associated with them. (IE: Newmar Corp has Newmar Kountry Klub). These generally have trips and they are less than the ones who do trips for profit.
Also, if you are retired military or military veteran, there are camping clubs for them also.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #8

I'd give a lot of consideration as to what type of traveler you are. We went on an Alaskan cruise with a land tour. The cruise was okay..not great, but okay. I guess we found out we aren't really cruise people. The horrible part of the trip was the land tour. It was absolutely the worst trip of our lives. When you're on a tour, you are on someone else's timetable. You have to leave on their timetable, eat on their timetable, stop on their timetable, and on and on. We will NEVER, EVER be at someone else's mercy again. We want to go where we want when we want. We'd rather travel by ourselves.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

I would have to think that part of that 5 grand would be some sort of protection from the all the outlaws down there, like some sort of insurance to keep you and your rig safe, The last place i would drive my coach into, mexico!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
I'd give a lot of consideration as to what type of traveler you are. We went on an Alaskan cruise with a land tour. The cruise was okay..not great, but okay. I guess we found out we aren't really cruise people. The horrible part of the trip was the land tour. It was absolutely the worst trip of our lives. When you're on a tour, you are on someone else's timetable. You have to leave on their timetable, eat on their timetable, stop on their timetable, and on and on. We will NEVER, EVER be at someone else's mercy again. We want to go where we want when we want. We'd rather travel by ourselves.
Dance Chick
It's hard enough for a couple to agree how to travel comfortably together.
We have found the same pitfalls when traveling with another rig, (or rigs).
One couple whats to stop for the night early, so they all stop.
Mornings the night owls want to sleep in, so everyone waits until the the night owls are ready.
It is fun for a few days but it gets old in a hurry.

Tell us where you are or where you are going and if we can make it we may meet you there, thank you.

Thumbs up to traveling by yourselves and going where you want, when you want.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back in '97 we went to Yellowstone with six other rigs from our RV club. Had a great time even though every family was different. One group was up at dawn, others like us slept a little longer but still got up earlier then we did on our own. When we got to Yellowstone and got into Fishing Bridge we all went in our own vehicle but still kind of stuck together.
Worked well for us.
We also like cruises, and would like to do the land/cruise although we've been to Alaska twice on cruises now. Last time we took two of the grandkids since they had not and probably never would get another chance at a cruise.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
5K? I dunno. Seems high. 10 years ago we spent 2 weeks in Italy (Not a tour and we didn't drive there) and I don't think we spent that much including airfare.

But - the bottom line is that you have to cash in all your chips at the end of every lifetime. So if it something you want to do - or try - then do it.

We spent a lot of money traveling but nobody can take the those memories away as long as I can fog a mirror. It was well worth it.

All The Best!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #13

We go to Mexico every winter and see the "caravans". It seems they are very popular with people from the eastern provinces of Canada who prefer their own company. I can't imagine what they could possibly provide in 19 days that would be worth $ 5,000. Food in Mexico is pretty inexpensive and even the most expensive RV parks there don't cost much. I think the people who run the things are trading on people's insecurity in travelling a foreign place and who are willing to pay for the experience of the guide. They're also good for the parks where the guides have arranged to stay during the trip. They're not our thing but to each their own. There are a few internet sites where people meet and arrange to travel together in Mexico. I would be inclined to go that route if you're looking for travel companions. We've found that people often meet others along the way whom they have things in common with and wind up making travel plans together
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I agree 5k is a lot for a trip into mexico. Given the urban warfare in mexico I have no desire to travel thru mexico. Its easy to get jammed up and have no one to count on down there.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote