Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I want to see how these self driving RV's react to a mountain pass with the painted lines gone and a Semi driver who doesn't realize it's two lanes not one. Then desides your not there beside him or is texting his next of kin and encroaches on your lane while beside you. Or how about the truck tire tread or rock's in your lane. How about identifying the frost heaves. And in what world do you live in where at 70 people leave more than two cars lengths between cars.

LEN
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Not only can self driving cars deal with all those situations they can navigate without roads as demonstrated in Darpa trails for years now.

Something else to consider. As computers get better at driving, all computers get better. Unlike humans, computers can instantly be taught new skills through software updates.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #31

After doing my customary shakedown after removing my unit from storage yesterday. I can say good luck to that computer.

Ohio. Spring. Windy and rainy. As I traveled to the place I dump my tanks after flushing and sanitizing, I experienced three different driving conditions. Side winds, front winds, road debris, and gusts in upwards of 30 mph. The thing was bucking all over the place. And please don't tell me a thousand dollars in suspension upgrades can cure it. It wouldn't have helped.

So people are saying these computers will compensate for that? I just don't think so in my opinion. I can see the other vehicles on the road experiencing issues. Here is the example:

Two years ago while returning from a weekend trip with two other vehicles. One of which was a pick up towing a trailer of ATVs. Two lane freeway very light traffic. Weather was slight rain and medium winds. The pickup was a 1/4 mile ahead of me. The other SUV was behind me. What appeared to be a micro burst or something, but the very secured tonneau cover blew off the pick up and into the grass on the side of the road and the trailer was whipping side to side. That cover went 30 feet in the air....

I yelled to the two other occupants in my unit to hold on and we got hit by the same wind. I had slowed a bit and already hit the flashers, and we got blasted half way if not more into the emergency lane. And I was prepared for it. Imagine if I had not been prepared. The whole event for us lasted about 10 seconds in that gust.

I am sorry to disagree. No computer is going to see that and react appropriately....
Old 04-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sorry to disagree. The computer will respond faster and better than you can. Not wanting to believe is prejudice.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #33

Im guessing that the ones who think this self driving technology is safe would not gamble their families lives on it. After watching that video of an autonomous car driving into that girl crossing the street would you put your family in an self driving rv and say goodbye........ not likely.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #34

I think the biggest issue with computer driven vehicles is, who plays God? In a situation where someone will die in an accident, the computer will be programmed to make a maneuver were a life will be lost. Someone in the programming stage will be making that decision.

Scenario: car is going 45 on a road. Approaches an intersection. Child runs into the path of the car. Car is programmed to stop but can not stop in time to avoid the child. Car must swerve to miss the child but if it does, it either go onto the sidewalk where a man is waiting to cross the road and hit the man, or swerves into an oncoming vehicle also going 45mph. So, the car is either going to hit and kill the child, miss the child and kill the man on the sidewalk, or slam into the oncoming car killing the occupant. This must all be programmed into the software and the programmer would be making the choice of the maneuver and ultimately who is going to die.

Our society is able to forgive a human error. Much less likely to forgive a computer or programming glitch.

I would think that at some point of information input you would look at the car’s monitor and see either a colored spinning wheel or a spinning hour glass.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
Personally, I'm looking forward to a self-loading RV

Getting ready to go on a trip is getting harder every year.
Yeah. And it should set itself up and attach all the hoses and cables. Maybe back itself into a slot like a self-docking Roomba

Personally, I enjoy driving and would rather be in charge.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I never want nor interested in anything that drives me anywhere.........the most enjoyment I get from my Coach, Auto's, Harley's is driving them! I look forward to departure day...........as much as getting there........
Old 04-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Snark all you want. The evidence indicates computers already out drive humans. Don't believe it if you choose. Reality cares not for your belief.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I think the biggest issue with computer driven vehicles is, who plays God? In a situation where someone will die in an accident, the computer will be programmed to make a maneuver were a life will be lost. Someone in the programming stage will be making that decision.

Scenario: car is going 45 on a road. Approaches an intersection. Child runs into the path of the car. Car is programmed to stop but can not stop in time to avoid the child. Car must swerve to miss the child but if it does, it either go onto the sidewalk where a man is waiting to cross the road and hit the man, or swerves into an oncoming vehicle also going 45mph. So, the car is either going to hit and kill the child, miss the child and kill the man on the sidewalk, or slam into the oncoming car killing the occupant. This must all be programmed into the software and the programmer would be making the choice of the maneuver and ultimately who is going to die.

Our society is able to forgive a human error. Much less likely to forgive a computer or programming glitch.
Very Well Worded!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Very Well Worded!

Thanks,
JJ
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post

I would think that at some point of information input you would look at the car’s monitor and see either a colored spinning wheel or a spinning hour glass.
What you say is true but it is not a reason to shun computer driving. The goal cannot be zero deaths as that is not achievable. The computer does not have to be perfect. It only has to be better than humans to be justified. Being better than humans is not all that hard when you realize that unlike humans, computers don't fall asleep, get drunk, take drugs or text while driving.

The moral dilemma of who dies in the above scenario is a sticky legal matter that must be resolved by legislation, but it is not sufficient cause to deprive the public of a technology that will save many lives in the aggregate.

On the day that that woman was killed by a self-driving car, how many people were killed in the US by human-driven cars?

I have been flying airplanes for 50 years and I know that an autopilot can fly a plane much better than any human can. If we can do that with airplanes we can do it with cars. It is early in the game and today's technology needs much improvement, but that improvement will come as sure as summer follows spring.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
Snark all you want. The evidence indicates computers already out drive humans. Don't believe it if you choose. Reality cares not for your belief.

A dead woman says otherwise.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally, I believe in computer-assisted driving, but I do not know if I am ready to give up total control. I agree with most of the positive comments about self-driving vehicles. I would love to see the country and have my RV drive me if the technology was perfected.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs