Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit151 View Post
Hello so I am currently debating if I need to keep my 2012 GMC 2500 6.0L for my current camper. I have never towed with a 1/2 ton before so I am looking for some input. My current truck is terrible on fuel when not towing and rides a lot stiffer then a 1/2 ton. I currently get about 8MPG pulling the camper and about 13-14 MPG highway driving not towing the camper. I don’t tow a whole lot so I am wondering if a F 150 with a eco boost would be a good switch for the improved MPG. Can a half ton handle this camper? My 2500 doesn’t seem to struggle at all besides climbing the hills

S
Length32 ft 1 in
Ext Width8 ft
Ext Height10 ft 11 in
Interior ColorRusset, Moonlight, Truffle, Te
Hitch Weight725 lbs
Dry Weight6597 lbs
Cargo Weight1603 lbs
You will NOT get any better mileage from anything you use to tow an 8'wide X12' tall wall. You will get a soft fishtail ride, and white knuckles at every curve or quick lane change to avoid something.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You will NOT get any better mileage from anything you use to tow an 8'wide X12' tall wall. You will get a soft fishtail ride, and white knuckles at every curve or quick lane change to avoid something.
I just did a 450mi. trip not towing in my 2010 1500 GMC crew cab. about 1./2 was freeway 1/4 city and 1/4 rural two lane hiway. I was right at about 18 mpg, I figure with a fill up to the top at the start and then fill again to the top. not the mileage computer. I get about 10 - 12 towing depends on terrain. as far as handling mine handles my 27'. great its all in how your hooked up and your weight distribution is. curves should be no problem, just drive as you normally drive the trailer will follow. if the curves are sharp put your truck near the outside of the curve and go. I don't understand why people get so nervous pulling a T/T.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #17

If you had a half ton already I’d say give it a try and see if it works if not get a 3/4 ton. I’d never suggest going backwards and that’s coming from someone who tows a 32’ 7k lb dry camper. My truck limits me to about an hour to a hour and a half drive from my house until I start to get into some hilly terrain that I don’t feel comfortable on. It actually does pretty good on the flat in jersey
bst24351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
IC2

Having towed a 7K TT with a half ton Ford with 5.4L gas engine then moving to a one ton 6.8L gasser (in prep to buy a 5er) have to say that while my gas mileage didn't get a lot better, I didn't have white knuckles every time a semi passed or drove into a crosswise wind even while using a WD hitch and anti sway devices. I do have to say that my current diesel truck with camper and 5er packages is way better then either previous truck but there are significant dollar premiums to own this truck if not used regularly for towing or heavy bed loads.

Keep your foot off the gas pedal, maintain a reasonable speed and your mpg should increase. Think uncooked egg under that right foot on the gas. If you feel the need to pass everything on the road as I regularly see, that gas gauge seems to crash
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Towing a 32' trailer with a 1/2 ton? no thanks
^ What he said.

The weight isn't an issue a 1/2 ton truck. The size is the problem. A 1/2 ton can't handle a trailer of that size easily, regardless of weight. I've got many many miles of towing experience, and I wouldn't trust a 1/2 ton with anything 30 feet long or over. You need a 3/4 ton truck for that, honestly.

At 32 feet, you can "get by" temporarily with a 1/2 ton if you're desperate and can't upgrade for a while, but only if you've got a good hitch that can make up for the inadequate truck. You're not in that situation though. You've already got the right truck. I certainly wouldn't recommend selling the 3/4 for a 1/2 ton.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #20

My F150 was rated for over 11000 pounds towing. I pulled a LOT of big boats and never had an issue or felt uncomfortable. But that was my personal experience.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #21

It’s a little big for a half ton. I got rid of my 3/4 ton because of the rough ride and love the new f-150 3.5 and ten speed. I would buy a smaller trailer so you can have a half ton. Very plush ride. Bigger isn’t always better.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
It’s a little big for a half ton. I got rid of my 3/4 ton because of the rough ride and love the new f-150 3.5 and ten speed. I would buy a smaller trailer so you can have a half ton. Very plush ride. Bigger isn’t always better.
good post
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm just sticking my nose in to become educated...

Isn't towing capacity the most important factor, followed closely by all the other factors ?

A few years back I was looking at pickups because we were thinking of a custom 5th Wheel for Dyno (motorcyle size) work. There were 1/2 tons that could pull it, and 3/4's that we probably shouldn't use and vs versa.

FWIW, I get all sorts of looks now with Lisa's Nissan Armada. It's got like a 15,000 lb towing capacity... and pulls our nearly 7000 lb 26 ft over the mountains without even trying. 13mpg when it's empty... 13mpg pulling over the passes. I just need to use a good anti-sway hitch cause of the wheelbase of the SUV vs the trailer. But so far, no issues except in extreme wind, where I just go slow or take a break.

So back on point... I see people mentioning 1/2 and 3/4 and size of engine, but just like there's a version of our Armada, with a tow package, that can only do 9000 lbs.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #24

I have a 2011 GMC 2500HD diesel pulling a 9000lb plus and it is a dream to drive. Lots of power and even more important, lots of brakes.
I know that the towing capacity is increasing on all trucks but the half ton is just not up to the job. I think you would regret it.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I'm just sticking my nose in to become educated...

Isn't towing capacity the most important factor, followed closely by all the other factors ?
Most people will go over payload rating or RAWR before they go over the max tow. Those numbers get bigger as towing capacity climbs but you're still much more likely to exceed one of them before towing.

The truck I'm looking at can officially tow 31K. With a 19k 5th wheel, hitch, bed cover, tool box, generator, gas for the generator, wife and I, dogs, cooler and other misc stuff we will have less than 500# of spare payload even though the truck has another 12k of towing capacity.

Here's why it's important to pay attention to it. I'm looking at an F350 dually, the F450 has a better turning radius, however for an equally equip vehicle it has 1k less payload even though max tow is the same. If I got a F450 I would exceed payload.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I did own a 2006 Duramax and it was unreal towing with it. Great power and MPG. But when the injectors went and the rumours about the turbos going at around the same mileage left a expensive and bad taste in my mouth. I maybe put 15000 miles on the truck in a year total. So it didn’t makes sense to own a diesel especially with the diesel prices being so high here compared to gas
Lower MPG's towing with a gas vs higher MPG towing with diesel. A mathematical trade off. That why I have the diesel. My 05 lly Duramax had 246k miles on it. I avg 11.5 to 12mpg.?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stick with your 3/4 ton. Even if you "could" tow that trailer with a half ton and I don't think you can and stay under all parameters, it would be a much less pleasurable tow.

Quote:
Hello so I am currently debating if I need to keep my 2012 GMC 2500 6.0L for my current camper. I have never towed with a 1/2 ton before so I am looking for some input. My current truck is terrible on fuel when not towing and rides a lot stiffer then a 1/2 ton. I currently get about 8MPG pulling the camper and about 13-14 MPG highway driving not towing the camper. I don’t tow a whole lot so I am wondering if a F 150 with a eco boost would be a good switch for the improved MPG. Can a half ton handle this camper? My 2500 doesn’t seem to struggle at all besides climbing the hills

S
Length32 ft 1 in
Ext Width8 ft
Ext Height10 ft 11 in
Hitch Weight725 lbs
Dry Weight6597 lbs
Cargo Weight1603 lbs
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #28

Quote:

S
Length32 ft 1 in
Ext Width8 ft
Ext Height10 ft 11 in
Hitch Weight725 lbs
Dry Weight6597 lbs
Cargo Weight1603 lbs
NO!

You might look at a New and Better GMC Dura Max, single tire 3500 - I drove My brothers a few months ago back from Texas - With the 5th wheel we got almost 10mpg driving it back empty it was a Pleasure - smooth and easy but on one tank at 60-65 MPH it yielded Almost 28 MPG's.

Truck was not Cheap - but IMHO it was the best I've ever been in. This is from and Old 7.3 Ford guy
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell