Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The buyer of our previous coach scared me to death on his test drive. Did you know a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 can go 55mph around a 30mph turn! I literally screamed at the guy to slow way down or park it so I could drive.

So go with them on the test drive and don't be shy about providing instructions. I learned to not worry about the sale, and get the coach home safe. If they crash it you won't have a sale anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 AM   #16

Here are my conditions for a test drive:
1. after walk through.
2. after deposit has changed hands and cleared
3. after checking drivers license for correct type in your state
4. after proof of insurance
5. after proof that they have the means to purchase the RV
6. after taking them to some parking lot where they can practice
7. then would I allow them to drive on the city streets with me in the passenger seat.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #17

Test drive,,
I have met a lot of folk who are looking for a coach like mine. If they are close by, I have invited them to come drive mine so they know what to look for. I am going to make sure it is a straight streach with minimal traffic and I know where the entrance and exits are. I will be in constant control and can and will grab the wheel if they need help. Anyone who has not driven a big coach, needs to understand the weight factor, they do not stop like a car and can not be driven like a car. You need to have this conversation before they drive.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #18

I have sold several boats, 1 motor home, and many cars. I've never had a problem with anyone. Very few people have wanted to drive the vehicle themselves before a purchase, but several have wanted me to drive it while they rode in the front seat. You can usually tell if the person is a serious buyer or not by how they act and the questions they ask.

I sold a car a few weeks ago and when the guy opened the door, I handed him the keys. He started the engine, but did not want to drive it. He paid cash, I signed over the title and he went off to register the car before driving it away.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #19

Since so many responded with selling experience. i'd like to ask another related question.
How do you handle the deposit and transfer of title. Do you do the transaction at the bank so they can verify the cashiers check and maybe notarize the title? Or ?
I'm assuming most ask for cash or cashiers check.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
Since so many responded with selling experience. i'd like to ask another related question.
How do you handle the deposit and transfer of title. Do you do the transaction at the bank so they can verify the cashiers check and maybe notarize the title? Or ?
I'm assuming most ask for cash or cashiers check.
It depends on the sale amount. IF the title is free and clear or liened. I deal with my credit union. They will do notary for free for members and handle transactions even if it is not their lien. I have no problem dealing in cash up to 25 or 30k
Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
During my discussions with prospect on the recent sale of my Tiffin I discovered his experience, insured he had correct DL and once we agreed on the price we set up payment at his stockbroker's local office on day of pick up. I called insurance and told them I had a prospective buyer who would be test driving the vehicle and they didn't even ask for his name and DL#, just said okay.

I walked him through the MH and then went with him on test drive. Once he was comfortable that I had covered everything we went to the Stockbroker's office where they cut me a check from his account, I signed the MH over to him and provided a separate Bill of Sale which TN requests. He took MH and headed off to his home in Knoxville, TN and I went to my bank. Everything worked great.

When I bought my new to me DP the dealer allowed me to take a long test drive with him in the passenger seat and my wife in the recliner. I was more concerned about in town and back-road handling than interstate and was well satisfied. When back, completed paperwork and set date for pickup after service, installation of 5 new batteries and 6 new Michelin tires and walk through. Returned in a week, checked everything out and wrote personal check for more than 100k which he had already agreed to take (I was going to have the bank do a bank money order or direct transfer but he was comfortable with PC).

Do what you are comfortable with but I never let any vehicle out of my sight or test drive without me. They could just keep going.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 01-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #22

BTW, cashiers can be bogus. They will deposit them to your account and give you credit, but when it comes back a week later, you are the one that is in a bind.
Cash in any quanity is a very high risk. A bank transfer is the most effective sure way.
If it is financed, and you are going to borrow money, I beleive the safest way is to let the lenders deal with money and title transfer. Simple and easy. When I bought my coach in Florida, I wanted to be sure of good and clear out of state title. I had the money but I ask my bank to make me a loan and handle it. Worked for everyone involved. I just helped a friend buy coach and he did the same. Banks dealt with each other to make a risk free exchange.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie View Post
BTW, cashiers can be bogus. They will deposit them to your account and give you credit, but when it comes back a week later, you are the one that is in a bind.
Cash in any quanity is a very high risk. A bank transfer is the most effective sure way.
If it is financed, and you are going to borrow money, I beleive the safest way is to let the lenders deal with money and title transfer. Simple and easy. When I bought my coach in Florida, I wanted to be sure of good and clear out of state title. I had the money but I ask my bank to make me a loan and handle it. Worked for everyone involved. I just helped a friend buy coach and he did the same. Banks dealt with each other to make a risk free exchange.
Bank transfer what a great idea..since mine is free and clear.
My first thought is always cashiers checks, but like you said you have to be careful with those.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #24

I'd never offer on a vehicle if couldn't test drive it. I'd also never pay a deposit or more to test drive a vehicle I am considering. It is your option to not allow it but you are limiting your potential sales audience. I would of course, welcome the seller to accompany me on the test.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, test