RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Setting/breaking camp 5th vs Motor Coach

It appears on the surface that you can set-up/break down camp faster with a MC over a 5er. Agree/disagree?
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

We went from a class C to a 5th wheel last March. We are full timers so we set up and tear down more often.

It takes us 30 min to set up and 30 min to tear down.

The out side stuff is the same either way. You have to level, hook up utilities, carpet, chairs, bbq and unhook either the toad or the tow vehicle.

The inside stuff is probably a little longer with a 5th wheel. I think we put more things away in the 5th than we did in the class c.

My wife takes care of the inside and I do the outside.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd say the MH has an advantage.

Disregard all the stuff that needs to be done regardless of type, i.e. disconnect utilities, pull in slides and awnings, retract stabilizers, store stuff for traveling, walk around inspection, etc, etc.

The only difference now, the 5er needs to be hitched up, brakes, lights, etc.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

I'm sure many will chime in,,, but between our class A and now a 5vr, the only thing I don't like about the 5vr,, (could be TT too ?) is the electric cord... It was hard wired on our older mh,,, on the 5vr you have to store it ,, then plug it into the trailer... No big deal I guess ,,, Also to level "our" trailer, I have to unhook the 5vr from the truck, that means chocking the trailer tires... (it rides just a bit nose high) Another thing to do... SO,,,, yes it was easier , for me anyway, with the MH.... It is nice to have the truck for sight seeing, but you can pull a toad with some MH's...

Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, only time difference would be hooking up and disconnecting. But if you have a toad the time would likely be equal.
My wife prefers the MH.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I like with my MH is that when I pull in, I level from the driver's seat before I even turn the engine off. The main slide then comes out (also from the driver's seat), and then the bedroom slide comes out. All that's left is the hookups, awning, and outside gear (all the same regardless of rig).

Bottom line is that the leveling process is faster since it is all done from the cockpit without any other "prep" needed (wheel chocks, unhitching, etc.).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
What I like with my MH is that when I pull in, I level from the driver's seat before I even turn the engine off. The main slide then comes out (also from the driver's seat), and then the bedroom slide comes out. All that's left is the hookups, awning, and outside gear (all the same regardless of rig).

Bottom line is that the leveling process is faster since it is all done from the cockpit without any other "prep" needed (wheel chocks, unhitching, etc.).
Very true.... It's a pain to stick my head inside a storage compartment to raise/lower the jacks....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think our Class A's were a bit faster than either of the 5W we owned, but not by a huge margin. Toad was very simple - literally about 1.5 minutes, and the hydraulic jacks made leveling a breeze. A C without jacks would be much like a trailer, I think. Obviously water & power hook-ups are pretty much the same as well.

On the inside, stowing loose gear is less of a concern on most coaches, and an air suspension is kinder than springs.

The whole thing is hardly worth the time to debate. Who cares if one rig takes 5-10 minutes more than another?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Always had Cl A MHs and think they have the edge as far as setting up / tearing down. Ive sat & watched many 5ers or TT's set up / take down and It seems like more work / longer time.

I don't think I've ever seen a push button auto leveler on a TT or 5er but might be wrong. In nice weather extra time might not be an issue but doing it on a rainy day makes a difference.

If flat towing a Toad 4 down hook up is 2-5 mins and EZ - Peezey

Access in tight parks is another MH advantage - for comparable sizes the extra L of the tow vehicle and space needed to maneuver favors a MH - you can drop the toad and approach site separately when req'd - can't dop that w/ TT or 5er

If you have / need a big tow vehicle for other reasons I can see the $ advantage of a TT or 5er...otherwise I think the costs are comparable - wide range but comparable.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
having had both, it's not a big difference with either...
the better questions would be,
do you have a generator or not to cool the TT/5'er down before you get there...
the coach is already cool and comfortable, with the 5'er, we would plug in, turn the ac on, and leave to give it 2 hours to cool down (sometimes it wouldn't cool down until the sun went down!)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
IC2

I guess it actually comes down to which type RV you prefer rather then a nebulous inconsequential time thing - this is supposed to be fun, not a race against the clock. But, with that said, on our last lengthy trip we were down to about 20 minutes setup, 30 minutes breakdown. Mostly those added 10 minutes were to dump and flush the tanks plus flush then stow the wet slinky and wash myself up. We also do not have the 6 point leveling but continue to use planks or the 'Legos' plus rear electric stabilizers and BAL chocks and that nice electric awning. I wont include the comfort items like lawn chairs, tables, rugs or 'ques as they are not necessities and whatever you carry will not be the next folks needs.

We have a seasonal where we 'plant' ourselves during the hectic Adirondack summer camping season. It never ceases to amaze me what some carry for comfort/necessary items as seen on the neighboring weekender or even overnight, sites.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

After 4 ; 5th wheels , and trading up to a Class A, I'll admit that I never was really good at backing the 5ers , into a spot EXACTLY where the DW wanted , that's where most of the, shall we say time ( rather that argument ) was spent.

"Why can't you just go forward and come back 6" over this way !!!"

The coach is an oversize station wagon when it comes to backing up, hydraulic leveling speeds that up , and having all the hook up devices in dedicated storage areas saves time too. Seemed that all the stuff for hook up , in the 5ers storage areas, some how got buried during travel . Gremlins ??

Excuse me , I now have to run and un-subscribe from this thread and change my access codes before my DW sees any of this .
Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Class A. Hands down.
In a pinch level and slides out 2 minutes.
Power 2 minutes can be simultaneously done.
Quick overnight turn ignition off drop shades 1 minute.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
3 minutes flat with the 5er. But then I haven't been in that much of a hurry since 1969. Lol